• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

People are so done with Covid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally know people who are still scared to go into a crowd of *masked* people and they’ve even had a vaccine.
I have seen a neighbor walking their dog...alone...with a mask on. Outside. No one else on the sidewalk on the entire street.
And no, these are not “crazy” people. It’s mind blowing to me.

Luckily, people being extra (or even ridiculously) cautious aren't, even potentially, hurting anyone. So, while it may seem nutty that your neighbor walks their dog alone outside in a mask, it's not harmful.

I was driving from one store to another the other day, alone on my car, with my mask on because I didn't want to keep taking it on and off. I remember thinking "probably getting some snide remarks from other people watching me like this"...and then I remembered I don't care what those people think.

Luckily, people being extra (or even ridiculously) cautious aren't, even potentially, hurting anyone. So, while it may seem nutty that your neighbor walks their dog alone outside in a mask, it's not harmful.

I was driving from one store to another the other day, alone on my car, with my mask on because I didn't want to keep taking it on and off. I remember thinking "probably getting some snide remarks from other people watching me like this"...and then I remembered I don't care what those people think.
No, if people choose to live with incredible fear it’s not harming anyone else. But it is sad for them.

A few people continued to say that they don’t know of anyone who is living with irrational fear of this virus and implied that since they don’t know any teachers who refuse to work because of fear, those teachers don’t exist.
But these people living in absolute fear truly do exist. I know several. And I also know a teacher who won’t return to work.

Not me. I wear my mask constantly. I am critical of those that do not wear masks.

Do you think refusing to go to work in a masked environment (even though you are vaccinated) would be considered crippling fear? I would.

If not crippling, perhaps irrational fear is a better term. I think there are some who could seriously benefit from telehealth counseling.

Interesting! Just curious where are these people afraid to go that would include being in a "crowd of masked" people? In NH we havent had any events that are opened up to crowds of people.

Maybe your neighbor has allergies and the mask helps her?

Malls, sport/ leisure venues, youth sports, church, restaurants/ bars, schools. Oh and Disney world too, but that’s not my state.
All open and going strong with crowds of masked people!

I have seen a neighbor walking their dog...alone...with a mask on. Outside. No one else on the sidewalk on the entire street.

I sat outside today for over an hour in an empty shopping center, waiting for my car to be finished, with my mask on. Not because I was afraid of anything but because I didn't even think to take it off. I am so used to wearing a mask that it doesn't even phase me. I don't have a "need" to take my mask off the second I am outside. I put it on when I leave the house and don't take it off until I am back home. So yes, I am one of those people everyone likes to make fun of, wearing it in my car alone or walking down the street, etc.

No, if people choose to live with incredible fear it’s not harming anyone else. But it is sad for them.

A few people continued to say that they don’t know of anyone who is living with irrational fear of this virus and implied that since they don’t know any teachers who refuse to work because of fear, those teachers don’t exist.
But these people living in absolute fear truly do exist. I know several. And I also know a teacher who won’t return to work.

I NEVER implied that because I don't know of people living in crippling fear and refusing to go to work don't exist, I merely stated that I don't know anybody like that. At all!

You seem to be very concerned for all of these frightened people, that are living in absolute fear. Maybe they arent suffering as much as you are imagining?? All I am saying is that although I read about these suffering friends of Dis board members, I don't know any and havent heard of any connected to our wide circle.

Continuing to post this doesn't make it so. It's incredibly condescending & callous to say that people that feel differently than you, don't care that many people have died.

But calling people that feel differently living in "crippling, or incredible," or to use your term "irrational fear" is totally true and AOK.

Last edited:
It is scary. It's like people want a reason to hide away and never come back out. Do you know anyone like that? Or am I the only one?

Like I legit know of people that are going to have a difficult time living a normal life because they love the drama of being scared. They love being critical of others that are out and enjoying life. You selfish people going on vacation and hugging your vaccinated parents. Stop eating inside restaurants! Kids can't go back to school full time. It's not time yet! :rolleyes:These types want us all to be scared until there is zero trace of covid.

Which is never going to happen.

TBH I didn't really like my life before covid. I hated my job, didn't like to socialize and was tired of the daily grind. Once the pandemic hit, I was paid to stay home, had free money coming into my account, had an excuse to veg out on my couch 24/7 (STAY HOME!) and felt special wearing my mask alone in my car. Don't get me started on all the Netflix I got to watch over the last 13 months.
(KIdding!)

This thread has officially irritated me.

Yes. I am scared. I am partially vaxxed and I will be worried about going out in crowds when I am fully vaxxed.

I'm scared because someone I loved died days after receiving their first shot, not knowing they were already infected. I'm scared because of the hundreds of thousands of....dumb dumbs....walking around with their noses out or chin masks pretending like everything is AOK. I'm scared of the others who I KNOW are not vaccinated who have been posting pictures for the past 12 months in public places maskless while they talk about "social distanced bbq!!!!" I'm scared because I see you at the grocery store 2 steps behind me somehow oblivious to what 3 or 6ft means.

For a whole year I've heard "it's just a flu" and now I'm hearing "I'm not getting vaccinated!" and yet I'm supposed to have trust in the people around me? No.

I'm not worried about myself. I'm worried I'm going to get it and pass it to SOMEONE ELSE who will then die. I'm worried for the people who don't have insurance. I'm worried that I can still infect someone even if I'm asymptomatic.

You know what it's not? Debilitating. I'm not clutching my pearls in a dark corner alone in my room. I am sure there are people who have a legitimate debilitating fear and are afraid to leave their homes entirely. Those people have mental health issues separate from COVID and COVID could have been the trigger, but I highly highly doubt any of us know a substantial number of those people. Being worried for things to go back to normal or wearing a mask even while vaccinated isn't crippling or irrational. It's the exact opposite. Just because YOU don't have any concerns, doesn't mean that people who do are irrational.

If people are nervous about resuming life as normal, MIND YOUR BUSINESS. Letting them wear a mask isn't hurting you, but other people's failure to wear a mask COULD hurt them.

Oh, yup. They exist. DH works in a service industry and has to go into people’s homes to repair things. He has several customers who literally have not stepped foot outside their homes since the lockdowns began in March last year. Not to go to the store, not for a walk, one customer has even not been out into their own back yard, because, hello, it’s airborne. One of them wanted him to wear tripled up masks and multiple pairs of gloves and booties on his shoes. I think if she could have she would have asked him to sanitize his tools before bringing them in her home. And he had no direct contact. Went into the house and left thru the bulkhead. Stayed in basement the whole time.

You know what else exists? People who won't get vaccinated because they don't want to "become infertile." My friend's 20-something daughter is one of them; that is the exact thing she told her mother a month ago. There are mental health issues abounding, and the other side, from the people who have become agoraphobic, are the people who have very irrational and non-scientific anxieties about the vaccination.

And one of those sides of the coin can hurt other people while the other can only hurt themselves. This young woman came down with Covid this past week. She went to Fort Lauderdale a couple of weeks ago to party with her boyfriend. And she went to the grocery store after her diagnosis a few days ago. Gotta get groceries if you are going to stay home.

I've taken precautions since the pandemic began. I've avoided crowds, I've only been to one restaurant since last march (Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge), and passed on socialization invites. My biggest fear was always giving my elderly parents or in-laws covid. After being fully vaccinated, they go to restaurants 3-4 times per week.

Wednesday will mark two weeks since my 2nd covid vaccine. To celebrate, I will be taking myself to Animal Kingdom for a few hours.

I'm done with covid. I cannot live my life like this.

At some point in the next month, anyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get it. At that point, the responsibility is on the individual to protect themselves.

The pandemic is great for 20 something Twitter users who avoid social interaction to begin with. But for someone who is social and enjoys being around people, it totally sucks.

I do not. All the teachers I know are working.
My friends and family in California still have their children at home.

In fact, the one child that is actually back in their California classroom, sits on a computer all day with a proctor of sorts. While the teacher teaches from home. Some California teachers have been in the classroom for quite some time. Some are refusing to go back.

Oh, yup. They exist. DH works in a service industry and has to go into people’s homes to repair things. He has several customers who literally have not stepped foot outside their homes since the lockdowns began in March last year. Not to go to the store, not for a walk, one customer has even not been out into their own back yard, because, hello, it’s airborne. One of them wanted him to wear tripled up masks and multiple pairs of gloves and booties on his shoes. I think if she could have she would have asked him to sanitize his tools before bringing them in her home. And he had no direct contact. Went into the house and left thru the bulkhead. Stayed in basement the whole time.

Have you considered that this person might be seriously immunocompromised? I have a friend who is a kidney transplant recipient. He's in his early 50s and single and was a bit over a year post transplant when Covid hit. He was really just starting to feel good and was hitting his stride, and then Covid flipped his world upside down. He waited, like the rest of us for the vaccine and has received both doses of the Moderna vaccine. And he has not generating any detectable antibodies to the virus.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210324170811.htm

I sat outside today for over an hour in an empty shopping center, waiting for my car to be finished, with my mask on. Not because I was afraid of anything but because I didn't even think to take it off. I am so used to wearing a mask that it doesn't even phase me. I don't have a "need" to take my mask off the second I am outside. I put it on when I leave the house and don't take it off until I am back home. So yes, I am one of those people everyone likes to make fun of, wearing it in my car alone or walking down the street, etc.

I have to go inside the homes of my customers all day. I tend to put my mask on for the day and then just lower it under my chin, when I'm back outside with their dogs. And depending on where I am in my town, I may be around more people. If someone is approaching me and is wearing a mask, I pull my mask up as a sign of respect that for whatever reason, that person is wearing a mask. I don't know their situation. And sometimes, if it's cold out...I'll just leave it up because it keeps my face warm. Pre-Covid, on colder days I would use a gator-type thing for the same purpose.

Last week, it was a cold windy day, I was outside walking a dog and had my mask on. I had my AirPods in and was listening to a podcast and I heard someone yell something to me while in his car....stopped at a light. I didn't hear what he said...it was a man, 60-ish, who took the time to roll down his window and yell something at me. He had a smile on his face....he was making fun of me. I really could care less what this person thought of me in that moment. What is more disturbing to me is that he went out of his way to do this...which is pretty messed up if you ask me.

I know a couple of people like that. They are fully vaccinated and still are avoiding going out. Like not at all, still having everything delivered, not visiting family or friends.
The irony is that a lot more people I know have been going out and doing what is allowed for the last 8 months- going out to eat, getting together with others, working, in-person school- all with precautions. Even some that were lax at times. I only know 2 people out of everyone in "my circle" who got COVID and they got it at work and never spread it to anyone in their circle, not even the people they live with.
So for those people who barricaded themselves up for a year and continue to do so go ahead. For the rest of us who see the odds of getting COVID and getting very sick or dying from it, especially after getting vaccinated, there's no need for such extreme behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter