Penny Pinching at WWTBAM-PI

fklhou

<font color=red>Liberal and proud of it<br><font c
Earlier I had speculated the thirty day rule for Who Wants to be a Millionaire=Play It was instituted in part to control costs. I just got back from my first trip to WDW since the thirty day rule was implimented and took the opportunity to file a complaint with guest services. I was referred to a manager at Guest Services who brought in a manager from the attraction to discuss my complaints. During the discussions, I found out the following:

First, there has been no million point winners since News Year. There had been 21 million point winners prior to the institution of the thirty day rule and now there are only 29 winners. In other words, in the period from April of 2001 (the opening of the attraction) until August of 2001 (the institution of the thirty day rule) there were 21 million point winners and since August of 2001, there has only been 8 million point winners.

Second, the difficulty of the earlier questions has been raised to make it more difficult to win the polo shirt.

During my discussions with the WWTBAM-PI manager and Guest Services Manager, I asked about these facts and they were confirm. The manager aknowledged that thirty day rule has held down costs at the attraction and that given the directive to hold down costs this was good. The WWTBAM-PI manager also aknowledge that the questions were now more difficult because it had been too easy to win the polo shirts.

I was a little surprised to hear CMs acknowledging that Disney had changed the rules for WWTBAM-PI in part to control costs.

And to think that people complained that the questions on the TV show were too easy...
Did you inquire about the number of guest complaints about monopolizers prior to and since the implementation of the 30-day rule? I'm pretty sure that the rule was instituted to increase overall guest satisfaction and reduced costs are "just a bi-product we've learned to live with."

I'll take a wild guess and say that there were also more guests from April to August than since August.

But, be that as it may, it would make sense that if they were giving away too many shirts they would make the questions harder. After all, Millionaire is really just a fancy carnival game that you don't have to pay extra for.

And it sounds as though the 30-day rule had a dual-purpose, as many decisions do. More guests are happy, and money is saved. Sounds like a win-win...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter