Paying resort balance with gift cards, but heaven forbid need to cancel question.

Why in the world do people do this? You get now protections or insurance using a gift card. Just use a cc with points or cash back. Not to mention if you do need to cancel you can't use the gift cards for anything but Disney.

Why in the world do people do this? You get now protections or insurance using a gift card. Just use a cc with points or cash back. Not to mention if you do need to cancel you can't use the gift cards for anything but Disney.
Because if you have time, it's easier to save real, tangible cash than playing the CC points game which some people don't do, not everyone is into using credit to buy stuff and prefer not to owe anyone anything. I've stopped doing the disney GC target deals over the last several years since my time is worth more to me now, but to date I've never lost or been out any money using gift cards.

I'd rather save the money by buying gc. Why do I need the cc insurance for Disney. A lot/most also don't cover thr trip if you drive. They have a decent cancel/change policy. I've currently got two trips planned, what I don't use next month will be used in March. I do occasionally use the gc at shop Disney.

I save at least 10% by buying gc and still earn points on my cards. I also don't understand why people that buy gc are often told they shouldn't for this reason or that. It doesn't affect anyone but the person buying them. Generally around here the people buying know the risk, let people save however they want.

Because if you have time, it's easier to save real, tangible cash than playing the CC points game which some people don't do, not everyone is into using credit to buy stuff and prefer not to owe anyone anything. I've stopped doing the disney GC target deals over the last several years since my time is worth more to me now, but to date I've never lost or been out any money using gift cards.
Using credit doesnt mean you have to owe anything.

. Generally around here the people buying know the risk, let people save however they want.
I’m certainly don’t have the ability to stop people from saving how they want. Strange statement? It would not be something I would ever recommend doing. To each their own. As far as protection and insurance people on here do it on cruises to.

Right? I’ve never, not once in my whole life, used a credit card for credit.

Except that every time you use a credit card you are using the credit the bank has issued you. Paying it off so that you don't carry a balance just means you don't pay interest. You owe the bank money for that purchase regardless of when you pay them.

The only way you wouldn't have ever used credit would be if you always paid by cash/check.

Except that every time you use a credit card you are using the credit the bank has issued you. Paying it off so that you don't carry a balance just means you don't pay interest. You owe the bank money for that purchase regardless of when you pay them.

The only way you wouldn't have ever used credit would be if you always paid by cash/check.
I see it more like taking a really long time at the register, like those people who pay with checks ahead of you in line at the grocery store, but even slower. 🤣

I see it more like taking a really long time at the register, like those people who pay with checks ahead of you in line at the grocery store, but even slower. 🤣

Not even the same. The store got paid whether you use a cc or someone writes a check. However the person that wrote the check doesn't owe anyone anything, you still owe your cc bank money. Hence, you use credit if you use a cc regardless of how quickly you pay the balance off.

If it makes you feel better to spin it that way ok, but the better way to look at it is you don't carry debt.

Not even the same. The store got paid whether you use a cc or someone writes a check. However the person that wrote the check doesn't owe anyone anything, you still owe your cc bank money. Hence, you use credit if you use a cc regardless of how quickly you pay the balance off.

If it makes you feel better to spin it that way ok, but the better way to look at it is you don't carry debt.
Thanks for afanspaining it to me. I got it. I was trying to be funny. Now go take a chill pill.

Right? I’ve never, not once in my whole life, used a credit card for credit.
LoL. I guess that didn't come out right. When you think about it though in this day and age you could charge something with your left hand and pay it off with your right hand almost simultaneously.

After trip update: I was successful in purchasing GCs to pay off 3 rooms at CBR and 3 rooms at BCV (2-1BR, 1 Studio). It was a lot of work to purchase them and get them applied to the balances of all 6 confirmations, but it did work and we saved over $650. I'm not sure I would recommend doing this, but it is a way to save money if you don't qualify for any discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter