Paying Onboard Account with VISA Gift Cards

HI! The new Visa gift cards can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. They work just like a credit card and will work fine.
Have fun!

Actually, I don't believe that the answer IS yes. The gift cards need to be swiped and DCL does not have that capability onboard as far as I know.

I don't think you actually use them on the ship. When you check in at the port you give them the gift cards to apply toward your account on board, just like you were giving them cash to apply...you still may be required to back it up with a real credit card. I am not sure about that.

What about the visa check cards? Can those be used to pay off your account?

I'm assuming that the gift visa is the same as a pre paid visa. I wanted to get each one of our kids a pre paid visa for our March trip so they could have charging priviledges. There is no way I am letting four kids have full charging against our credit card with not being able to put a limit on it. I don't want to spend my vacation sorting out who owes what. I figure this way we can give them each a pre paid allowance and when its gone the are done.

I don't think that will work. You cannot put a limit on your KTTW card. It's either all or nothing. When you get your bill, each card is listed separately so it will be easy to see who spent what where. We had charging privileges taken off our kids' cards (in case they lost them) then we bought their video cards and went to the gift shops with them. We stood back while they used our card (within eye sight of the CM) and they felt like they were "buying" their own stuff. They were only allowed one smoothie at dinner - none during the day (those REALLY add up with 4 kids!!!)

disney 6
That's the same reason we said no charging for our kids. We had no problem with them charging. Our worry was the card getting lost and someone else using it and with not being able to set a limit on the KTTW card that just doesn't work for us.
I checked with our bank and was told that a check card and the pre paid visas work the same and we shouldn't have any problem using them. Guess it's time for a call to DCL.:D

I'd like to know the answer when you find out. Information to store for next time we take the kids! One of the kids (DS's friend 10) DID lose his card in the arcade room. Glad we had taken charging off! It was easy to replace at Guest Services.

All DCL does when you check-in is verify that the card is valid, ie they dont' check for balances. So, even if you can use a pre-paid Visa card, the cards still would have an unlimited amount(I believe it's $500 before a charge is made). So, you would still have the same situation, but when the kids went over their pre-paid limit (which you set on the Visa), you'll find yourself with bills left over and you'll still have to pay. DCL can't check everyone's available credit on a card upon check-in and assign a different value to the cards, hence why they do what they do at all WDW resorts, check for validity and then give a limit before they charge that amount to the card. I know the initial charge is $1, since I saw the temp authorization on my CC when I returned home.

just when I thought I got some good news it still makes no dif.

Called dcl and they said pre paid visa, gift visa and check card could be used on the kids KTTW card. BUT if dcl doesn't check the limit it won't make a difference. If the kids KTTW card gets lost and gets charged for over the limit we will still have a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter