Paying in advance for hotel

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
Hi, just thought I'd let people who are interested, in the past if I wanted to pay my hotel balance at one of the Universal hotels prior to our arrival, you would have to fax a completed form with ID and copy of CC back to Universal. The other day I called, and now they email you a form, and you complete the form and email it back. It's a little bit easier! I also wanted to mention, the customer service was great- my bank blocked the first charge thinking it was fraud. Universal emailed me right away about it. I then called Universal to let them know i spoke to the bank and it was ok to process. The rep was very nice, processed it right away-I then left a voicemail in their billing dept. asking for a receipt, and sure enough they emailed me a receipt showing the zero balance.
What a pleasure to deal with!

Instead of me using the fax route this time, I am using gift cards to pay off the remainder of my bill when I check in.

I used a cc that gave additional points for using them to buy gift cards.

I ordered the gc for the amount of my balance directly through UO.

I recieved the mailer two days from date of ordering them.

I'm uncomfortable emailing a credit card number, it seems silly to me that they wouldn't just take a CC number over the phone like they do for the deposit, but I too am a devotee of gift cards.

Well, they won’t accept an email with the info
That is what I was told and they only accept a fax

They fax you info and you acknowledge it
Then you fax the info and both sides of your cc to one person that handles the info

Like I said above, gc will be best for me to use and pay the bill in full when I check in

I'm uncomfortable emailing a credit card number, it seems silly to me that they wouldn't just take a CC number over the phone like they do for the deposit, but I too am a devotee of gift cards.

I prepaid my October reservation in advance for the first time, and the paperwork was all done through a secure server called Sertifi. I also thought about the gift cards option as well.

The big plus for me was the points I received on my Amex cc when buying the gc

Getting the points in advanced helped for using them for my flight booking

I'm assuming that when you check in they are still ok with you telling them no charging to the room and NOT providing a credit card for that purpose? Basically, pre-pay for the room then not giving them any additional funds at check in? This is a continual fight (for me, I think I have a hotel target on my back) it feels like whenever I specifically say turn this off they smile, nod and put a hold on my card anyways.

From my experience, I was told the past 4 visits, I needed to put a cc down in case I had incidentals charged back to the room.
I signed a paper to decline allowing charge back to the room and did not have to put the cc down.

I paid the entire stay when I checked in.

I have been paying the entire bill off in advance and some policies have changed over the years.

Last year I started using the gift cards.
I buy them in advance and at check in time, have them applied to my account.
My room is paid for in advance for the entire stay.

I use different credit cards for different reasons and would use them on the last day of my vacation instead of charging back to my room.

I was thinking for next year to do the gift card route for the hotel. Now I buy one before we head down, and use it for our food.

There are definite benefits. My local grocery store sells gift cards (6% back on AmEx for grocery purchases) plus gives fuel rewards. When they are offering a special double fuel rewards I can get $12 of free gas for every $100 GC, so combined with the AmEx benefits is 18% discount. When I get Disney GC I can combine them online into fewer cards, but Giant Eagle only has $100 Universal ones, so I am going with a huge stack at Thanksgiving.

Very creative! For me, it's mostly how we are use to budgeting for the trip-I go down knowing the hotels are paid for, tickets in hand, spending money set aside-the only item that goes on the credit card is the rental car. Everyone is different, but I just like going away knowing everything is paid for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter