Paying for DL using gift cards

MinMou

DIS Veteran
First, if this is covered in a different thread, please send me the link. I did my best to try to find this info, but could not find it.

I forgot that the rules for DL and WDW are different, and tried to make a room only reservation for DL with a gift card, and found out that you can't. You can use them to get a package, but I didn't think that was a good value for us. My main question is: if you pay for your down payment for a room with a credit card, can you pay the remainder with a gift card?

As for the packages, am I missing something? I had thought I would get a room from Disney, and our tickets from UT (you get a few $ off). With a Disney package, you pay full price for tickets, plus about $35 more. The extras you get are (according to the castmember on the phone):
luggage tags
coupons for DTD at Sanuk, Haagen-Dagz, Ralphs, Wetzel, Pandora jewelry, La Brea Bakery, and Curl Surf.
a voucher for Splitsville
a lanyard and pin that you have to pick up in the park
your ticket is a card instead of paper.

Has anyone down a package and received something I left out? Does anyone think I am missing out if we just go the separate route? As this point, I am thinking that the only reason to go the package route is because I have a lot of money on a gift card, but if I can use it for expenses there, that reason goes away.

ANY info that any of you have is welcome.

Yes, you can pay your balance with a gift card. I did it last December at the Grand Californian.

There really is no benefit to buying a package, unless you go through Costco which gets you a free character meal. Last minute travel club sells tickets at the best discount, you can find a code for a free membership online, and many threads about the process of purchasing in this forum.

You can pay for your room and tickets with gift cards. We usually get our gift cards from Target using the red card for 5% off, combine them on the Disney gift card site ($1000 per card), and what we do not use, save for another trip.

Like a Cal-Pie said, Costco gives you a free premium character meal. If you stay on site, they sometimes will give you a gift card up to $100 based on the length of stay. With Costco, after the initial down payment, you can pay the rest with gift cards. You can make payments too, which is nice.

I got my giftcards from Target, and combined them, just as you said. I even got some of the cash for the gift cards from Swagbucks (you can redeem them for cash via Paypal, so that was even nicer.) The bummer was when I couldn't use the gc to book my room on the Disney site. But it was a learning experience.

I don't live close to a Costco. Do you have to be a member to book through them? And does the price for the package drop when you enter your membership #? Right now, the price for the package is about the same as the DIsney package, if you add in the cost of the gc and character meal.

Last edited:
Someone correct me if this info is wrong, but I was told by a CM on the phone that when you check in they can reverse the down payment credit card charge and then you can pay the entire balance with gift cards.

In my experience it's never been a better deal dollars wise to book a package. If you don't mind doing the leg work of looking around and booking separately you'll always be able to save more money.

You'll be able to pay for the hotel with gift cards when you check in and as SOCALMouseMommy said they might be able to refund your downpayment back to your credit card so you can pay the whole thing with giftcards.

I got my giftcards from Target, and combined them, just as you said. I even got some of the cash for the gift cards from Swagbucks (you can redeem them for cash via Paypal, so that was even nicer.) The bummer was when I couldn't use the gc to book my room on the Disney site. But it was a learning experience.

I don't live close to a Costco. Do you have to be a member to book through them? And does the price for the package drop when you enter your membership #? Right now, the price for the package is about the same as the DIsney package, if you add in the cost of the gc and character meal.

You do need a membership to book. With some of the memberships, you get 2% back on what you spend, now including vacations. If you do not have a Costco close to you, you could still purchase items online and have them delivered.

With Swagbucks, my first gift card of the month, I get a Starbucks card, then PayPal for the rest of the month. I then get Starbucks and Disney cards from Target.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter