Pay to use the rest room?

Oh, March Fong Eu is will known for authoring the law that bans pay toilets in California. No question about the law.

I looked up the law, and it only applies to public agencies. I guess these get around that because they're privately operated. There might also be other laws on toilets in restaurants or other businesses where they have to provide them for their paying customers for free. I see a lot of places that use tokens.

Every public agency that conducts an establishment serving the public or open to the public and that maintains therein restroom facilities for the public, shall make every water closet for each sex maintained within the facilities available without cost or charge to the patrons, guests, or invitees of the establishment. “Public agency” as used in this section means only the state and any agency of the state and a city, a county, and a city and county.​

There are various articles on it, but the key was that they were discussing pay toilet stalls in public buildings. Men would need to pay to use stalls, but not to use urinals.

In 1969, Fong Eu demonstrated that point when she went to war against pay toilets in public buildings. At the time, men’s urinals were free to use, but stalls cost a dime to access. It was an early example of what we now refer to as the “pink tax” — the extra money women are forced to pay for products and services. Fong Eu campaigned fervently for a statewide ban on the bathroom fee, using a combination of tenacity and humor.​

I wonder if Ryan Air knows about this...I can see that saying they might add it to their planes..just so they can get the news coverage

This was joked about over 30 years ago in an Alaska Airlines commercial.

I looked up the law, and it only applies to public agencies. I guess these get around that because they're privately operated. There might also be other laws on toilets in restaurants or other businesses where they have to provide them for their paying customers for free. I see a lot of places that use tokens.

Every public agency that conducts an establishment serving the public or open to the public and that maintains therein restroom facilities for the public, shall make every water closet for each sex maintained within the facilities available without cost or charge to the patrons, guests, or invitees of the establishment. “Public agency” as used in this section means only the state and any agency of the state and a city, a county, and a city and county.​

There are various articles on it, but the key was that they were discussing pay toilet stalls in public buildings. Men would need to pay to use stalls, but not to use urinals.

In 1969, Fong Eu demonstrated that point when she went to war against pay toilets in public buildings. At the time, men’s urinals were free to use, but stalls cost a dime to access. It was an early example of what we now refer to as the “pink tax” — the extra money women are forced to pay for products and services. Fong Eu campaigned fervently for a statewide ban on the bathroom fee, using a combination of tenacity and humor.​
Well every private business open to the public has public restrooms because of some law. Which is why so many small businesses have signs now that say "No Public Restroom"

Well every private business open to the public has public restrooms because of some law. Which is why so many small businesses have signs now that say "No Public Restroom"

It can get crazy. I suppose you might have heard about Dantes on the River near Pollock Pines. The owner got really huffy about people using the bathroom without paying for anything. Also people who stopped at his restaurant parking lot because of motion sickness from US-50.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dantes-on-the-river-pollock-pines

This was joked about over 30 years ago in an Alaska Airlines commercial.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines... serious about charging,coin slot on the door.

Ryan air proposes these types of things all the time - not because they want to do them - but because it gets people talking about Ryan Air. They might be looking at the backlash as well to see if tis worth it.
They also proposed standing seats one time....many other things.

If you saw the recent story of what happened on a Frontier Flight - charging to use the bathroom really makes very little sense. Seems that's not the first time on Frontier.

It can get crazy. I suppose you might have heard about Dantes on the River near Pollock Pines. The owner got really huffy about people using the bathroom without paying for anything. Also people who stopped at his restaurant parking lot because of motion sickness from US-50.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dantes-on-the-river-pollock-pines
When KOVR built a new building in 1989 they built a bathroom for the public in the entry way of the lobby to avoid having to let people in to use it. When I worked at KXTV, the RT "rest stop" was on Fifth and Broadway and bus drivers came by all the time to use our bathroom. They had to enter the building to get to the batheroom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter