Paula Deen racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in what is considered one of the racist states in the country and I know plenty of people over the age of 60 that have never said that word and would never think of saying that word. Being of a certain age and being southern does not excuse--as I said before, imo, it CAN explain it, if you were raised to think the word was ok but that does not excuse it's use.

A lot of you are saying "well, jay-z or or little wayne says it" Do we really want to lower ourselves to think that what Li'l Wayne does is the norm and is ok????

Besides, I think that is a little like this--I am from the south and the name we hate the most is "redneck". But, I call my husband that and I tease dd about being redneck because she likes wrestling, mud riding and rodeos. But, if I overheard someone calling either one of them redneck in the way that the n word is used by those OTHER than Jay-Z or Li'l Wayne and the like, I would be furious and insulted.

I hear women calling their friends the "b" word all the time (no, I don't and wouldn't) but if YOU called one of them that word, an entire group of friends would be on you in a heartbeat.

Words like these take on a different meaning when someone else uses them. These rappers and comedians, imo, have taken a negative world and embraced it to their culture to mean something positive (or less negative). Doesn't mean its ok for YOU or I to use the word.

And I hardly think PD thought to herself "well, if Li'l Wayne can say it, so can I". :lmao:

Luvsjack- you have touched upon an area that I am so confused about. I really have a problem with the derogatory terms being used so freely by any given group. I have heard all of the reasons why those words are acceptable if they are used within the group and yet are unacceptable if someone outside of that group uses them. There are a lot of them, redneck, the N word, the B word. I must be very old fashioned because I cannot understand how calling anyone a N is actually an endearment, referring to a female friend as a B is a friendly greeting. I just don't think it is okay, and it desensitizes people to how very offensive the words really are.

You saw that PD actually thought she could soften the effects of her "blunder" by discussing ethnic jokes. She just stopped hearing the words and was oblivious to the offense they can cause. Age has nothing to do with it, it was casual use that was the cause.

I worked in a pretty lax environment for many things, but the kind of offenses that were commonplace in PD's business were grounds for immediate termination in mine.

Luvsjack- you have touched upon an area that I am so confused about. I really have a problem with the derogatory terms being used so freely by any given group. I have heard all of the reasons why those words are acceptable if they are used within the group and yet are unacceptable if someone outside of that group uses them. There are a lot of them, redneck, the N word, the B word. I must be very old fashioned because I cannot understand how calling anyone a N is actually an endearment, referring to a female friend as a B is a friendly greeting. I just don't think it is okay, and it desensitizes people to how very offensive the words really are.

You saw that PD actually thought she could soften the effects of her "blunder" by discussing ethnic jokes. She just stopped hearing the words and was oblivious to the offense they can cause. Age has nothing to do with it, it was casual use that was the cause.

I worked in a pretty lax environment for many things, but the kind of offenses that were commonplace in PD's business were grounds for immediate termination in mine.

I can see how, between friends, families or couples it can be OK. Those that know us best understand the intentions and private jokes. DH always used to love the Dan Ackroid, Jane curtain newscast where Dan would say "Jane, you ignorant ****" it would crack him up every time. Joking around he would sometimes say to me "acklander, you ignorant ****" when I hear it from him I know he's just joking and is feeling in a light hearted mood. Now, if I'm walking down the street and someone yells out at me that I'm an ignorant **** in anger, I'm going to be upset. You can't let the fact that my husband jokes about it to be justification for someone using the words to hurt me as acceptable.

Edited to add: sorry, didn't realize that it would block out part of my post - those who are familiar with early SNL skits know what I'm talking about

There are some who think that being called a redneck is a compliment. :)

I think that context is what matters. Some use derogatory terms in a humorous or an almost affectionate way and it's pretty apparent when that's the case.

I don't know any other way to explain it than that the word takes on a different meaning when used by someone outside the group.

I don't think age has anything to do with it either, but I don't think that hearing the word used by rap artists made her think that using that word is ok. That was a very weak excuse. And I'm sorry, but that is all I see that as--an excuse. My sons grew up listening to rap. I heard the word all the time in that music and so did they--I don't think calling someone that is ok, and neither do they.

IMO, this has been blown completely out of proportion. I do not know anybody over 60 who hasn't used that word. She comes from a different era. She was asked if she has ever used that word and she answered honestly yes. She was not asked, do you still use that word today for black people.

I have known people who have been angry and used that word, they are not racists, they are simply people who made mistakes. If she was anything but "white" she would not be seen as racist for using that word.

I know plenty of people over the age of 60 who wouldn't even think of using that word.

I know plenty of people over the age of 60 who wouldn't even think of using that word.

Both sets of my grandparents were born, raised, & spent their entire lives in the south - my mom's parents were from Alabama, & my dad's parents were from Georgia.

I'm sure, at some point in their lives, they used the n-word. However, I was born in 1973, & I never recall hearing any of them using the n-word.

That's not to say all 4 of them completely let go of some long-held southern beliefs & traditions. They just all came to realize that the n-word was something one couldn't/shouldn't say any longer.

My parents are Paula Deen's age; they were both born in 1947 like she was - Mom was from Alabama, & Dad was from Georgia. I have NEVER heard my mom say the n-word. I do remember my daddy telling me what Brazil nuts were called when he was a little boy.

Both sets of my grandparents were born, raised, & spent their entire lives in the south - my mom's parents were from Alabama, & my dad's parents were from Georgia.

I'm sure, at some point in their lives, they used the n-word. However, I was born in 1973, & I never recall hearing any of them using the n-word.

That's not to say all 4 of them completely let go of some long-held southern beliefs & traditions. They just all came to realize that the n-word was something one couldn't/shouldn't say any longer.

My parents are Paula Deen's age; they were both born in 1947 like she was - Mom was from Alabama, & Dad was from Georgia. I have NEVER heard my mom say the n-word. I do remember my daddy telling me what Brazil nuts were called when he was a little boy.

I'm just saying that I know people over 60 who would not think of using that term. I'm not talking about people that you or anyone else knows.

More times than not the use of the N-word is by young blacks. I'm nearly 40 years old and can particularly remember when the rap group NWA came out (first main stream gangster rap group). I said the N-word so much people could have thought I was insane. As time went by, I learned about life and began to understand history. As a teacher today in urban schools, I'm constantly trying to detour my students from using that word. As the saying goes, when I knew better, I did better. I didn't 'know better' as a teen or young adult. That's who listens to rap music. Older blacks aren't listening to that music (in large numbers). My point is to those who are continuously mentioning that the use of the n-word is in rap music. Adults over 30 are NOT the audience for that music. So, judging an entire group of people because of young peoples music doesn't make sense.

I'm just saying that I know people over 60 who would not think of using that term. I'm not talking about people that you or anyone else knows.

I know... :) I was agreeing with you - that I also know people over 60 who would never think of using that word.

I wonder how this will play out now with the Supreme Court ruling on reverse racism in higher education.

So its wrong for Paula to drop the N word but its okay to allow a minority student into school with a lower GPA/standards than a non minority student who has a better GPA/standards.

Funny how people are all upset all Paula yet fail to see all the other racism out there.

I wonder how this will play out now with the Supreme Court ruling on reverse racism in higher education.

So its wrong for Paula to drop the N word but its okay to allow a minority student into school with a lower GPA/standards than a non minority student who has a better GPA/standards.

Funny how people are all upset all Paula yet fail to see all the other racism out there.

Have you actually read the decision? SCOTUS did not say that at all.

As a teacher today in urban schools, I'm constantly trying to detour my students from using that word. As the saying goes, when I knew better, I did better. I didn't 'know better' as a teen or young adult. That's who listens to rap music. Older blacks aren't listening to that music (in large numbers). My point is to those who are continuously mentioning that the use of the n-word is in rap music. Adults over 30 are NOT the audience for that music. So, judging an entire group of people because of young peoples music doesn't make sense.

I absolutely agree with you. I am 56 and all of my words and actions as a youth will not bear scrutiny. I understand that the majority of the slang terms that are bandied about are used by a group of people younger than me. I also understand that words can become offensive depending on who is using the word, but I also wish the practice would stop. As a woman, I have tried to make sure the young people around me understand that words have historical meaning and that many women have been called vulgar names as a way to demean and dehumanize them.

I also agree that PD and her brother were not listening to rap music and then emulating the lyrics.

Huh? This has nothing to do with education and Paula's more than welcome to drop the N word all she wants. It's a free country. After the Rush fiasco last year, many many advertisers specifically request that advertising dollars not be used on polarizing and controversial issues. Her use of the word is polarizing and controversial. Such is life - she's still allowed to use whatever words she wants.

What the heck does this have to do with affirmative action in education???

Have you actually read the decision? SCOTUS did not say that at all.

Pretty much it does. They kicked it back to the lower court. So much for equal treatment under law you know that whole discrimination thing based on race, age or sexual preference.

So its okay to use racism for school admissions or getting a job but everything else is wrong.

What the heck does this have to do with affirmative action in education???

Not a blessed thing. I think that there is a great deal of confusion here between
a persons right to freedom speech and am employer creating a hostile environment through words and actions.

Pretty much it does. They kicked it back to the lower court. So much for equal treatment under law you know that whole discrimination thing based on race, age or sexual preference.

So its okay to use racism for school admissions or getting a job but everything else is wrong.

Affirmative action is not racism. Holy crap.

Affirmative action is not racism. Holy crap.

Are you kidding me.

What Paula did was create a hostile work environment based on race

What schools are doing by allowing minorities in who rank lower is creating a hostile place based on race.

Yet one is "legal" and the other is not. Despite BOLI stating that its illegal to base on race.

I am so tired of hearing affirmative action is okay. Sorry you either have the score to get in or not.

What schools are doing by allowing minorities in who rank lower is creating a hostile place based on race.

Woah, easy there. That is a loaded gun of a statement. What about schools creating a hostile environment by including children of legacies that are not as qualified as the others who got in legitimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter