Patagonia/Antarctica Christmas 2022

Our hotel was the Alvear Icon hotel. It is a hotel that seems to cater to English speaking guests. The area is nice and very safe. The area seems to be less authentic Buenos Aires and a bit segregated from the rest of Argentina due to its location.
The itinerary on the AbD website shows the BA hotel as the Sofitel Recoleta for those on only the expedition. The Alvear is shown as the pre-expedition BA Escape hotel. From your posts, I’m thinking you are not on the Escape; is that correct? Did they change the BA hotel for your departure?

The itinerary on the AbD website shows the BA hotel as the Sofitel Recoleta for those on only the expedition. The Alvear is shown as the pre-expedition BA Escape hotel. From your posts, I’m thinking you are not on the Escape; is that correct? Did they change the BA hotel for your departure?
Yes. We did not do the escape. ABD changed our hotel last week; not sure why.

Wifi on the ship is included but for obvious reasons it is slow so I can’t post pictures. We made it through the Drake Passage to what the captain described as the Drake Lake. Despite the significantly smooth waters quite a few people got sea sick. I used a patch and an electronic band and felt fine the entire time. Our family are platinum cruisers on DCL and I have gotten sea sick twice on DCL. Highly recommend the patch and electronic motion sickness band.

Wifi on the ship is included but for obvious reasons it is slow so I can’t post pictures. We made it through the Drake Passage to what the captain described as the Drake Lake. Despite the significantly smooth waters quite a few people got sea sick. I used a patch and an electronic band and felt fine the entire time. Our family are platinum cruisers on DCL and I have gotten sea sick twice on DCL. Highly recommend the patch and electronic motion sickness band.
Which electronic motion sickness band did you use? I've been thinking about trying one of those. Sounds like it's useful! Glad you made it through the Drake passage OK!

Sayhello

So far…
Tuesday - Buenos Aires
Wednesday- Ushuaia and departure for the Drake Passage
Thursday - Drake Passage
Friday - Half Moon Island
Saturday - Brown Bluff along the Antarctica peninsula

They have stressed the agenda is not set. So much depends on the weather, ice conditions, wind etc…

Which electronic motion sickness band did you use? I've been thinking about trying one of those. Sounds like it's useful! Glad you made it through the Drake passage OK!

Sayhello
Relief band. ABD guide Tiffany recommended it to me. My youngest daughter was a tiny bit sea sick on day 2 of the Drake crossing.

One of our favorite ABD guides might be doing this one. Dusty was our guide for Viva Italia about 8 years ago. He happens to live just a few miles from us now.

@starwarsdad
Thank you for doing this trip report. We so badly wanted to do this incredible trip but it's out of our price range. Still, it's great to follow along with you here on the Dis. Enjoy! :goodvibes :goodvibes :thumbsup2

Merry Christmas. Our first non sunny day. Cloudy and snowing! Sailing into Niko Harbor and Pleasure Bay today. Our family has done a lot of Disney trips but this one has been my kids favorite and we still have a week to go!

Our family won the Disney smell scavenger hunt and each got a stuffed baby penguin. The ABD guides have set up many activities during cruising time like Disney Christmas movies, cookie decorating, bottling decorating, ornament making, and scavenger hunts.

Our favorite activity though is Ponants daily debriefing. Just before dinner we gather and go over where we have been and they answer questions we submit about what we have seen for the day and then go over the goals the expedition leader wants to accomplish for tomorrow.

Honestly each ABD is so different but all worthwhile. I always wanted to take my kids to all 7 continents; two more to go.

Oh my! We have anchored in Niko Harbour. I almost can’t believe Christmas morning is a light snow, a glacier face, beautiful bright blue icebergs, penguins jumping in and out of water just besides the boat, and a few seals laying around!

ABD guide left everyone a stocking.

Oh my! We have anchored in Niko Harbour. I almost can’t believe Christmas morning is a light snow, a glacier face, beautiful bright blue icebergs, penguins jumping in and out of water just besides the boat, and a few seals laying around!

Sounds like the perfect day! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

I'd love to see pictures once you're able, even if that's after you return home. It sound stunning.
Merry Christmas! :santa: 🎄:goodvibes

I'd love to see pictures once you're able, even if that's after you return home. It sound stunning.
Merry Christmas! :santa: 🎄:goodvibes
For sure. I have taken a few phone photos but mainly leaving it up to the professional ponant photographers and the guides. My family agreed to just soak as much in with our eyes. I’ll try to post photos in the new year when we arrive back. We have gotten decent signal to FT chat but video is very grainy. We can’t download photos or send photos while at sea but I’m impressed we have had the signal we have had thus far given where we are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter