PAT Expectations for a First-Timer

cck.fla

Earning My Ears
We are cruising this December (7-night, Western Caribbean on the Fantasy) and it’s our first time(!) on DCL. I’m aiming for the earliest PAT window we can get, but have no idea what’s a reasonable expectation. We probably won’t score the coveted 11am, right?

12 pm or 12:30 pm is my favorite time. Perfect to have lunch at the MDR and then your stateroom will be (almost) ready. A relaxing way to start my vacation.

And avoiding the chaos that is the terminal between the earliest PAT and when boarding starts!

And avoiding the chaos that is the terminal between the earliest PAT and when boarding starts!
This is helpful, y’all! With three kiddos, avoiding craziness seems to be difficult, but I’ll take what I can get. :)

At Port Canaveral the earliest PAT is 10:30-10:45. They don’t start boarding the ship until 11:15-11:30.
If you login when your booking window opens (75 days prior for first time cruisers at 12:00:01am ET) you should get a fairly early PAT.
A lot of people cruising out of Port Canaveral stay at WDW and take Disney Transportation to the Port. If you’re taking the bus from Disney you don’t get to pick a PAT because the buses don’t start leaving WDW until 11:00 or later.
Disney changed it awhile ago and you could login at 8pm the evening your booking window opened and fill out your travel information and pick a PAT But:) I’ve read a few reports lately that you can no longer do this.
But I suggest giving it a try:)

FYI Typically first day at Port Canaveral
9:30-9:45 Parking garage opens
You will wait outside until the terminal opens
10:30 Terminal opens. When you arrive and check in you will be given a boarding number. The earlier your PAT the lower your boarding number.
11:15-11:30 boarding begins. Concierge and Platinum board first then they start with everyone else. They call the next number(s) every 4-5 minutes.
11:45-12:00 all pools, slides, restaurants and bars open.
1:30 cabins available
3:30 all pools and restaurants close to get ready for the lifeboat drill
4:00 lifeboat drill.
4:30 quick service restaurants reopen
4:30 sail away party
Have a great Cruise

Disney changed it awhile ago and you could login at 8pm the evening your booking window opened and fill out your travel information and pick a PAT But:) I’ve read a few reports lately that you can no longer do this.
But I suggest giving it a try:)
That is great info! Thanks.

For our first trip, which was the Fantasy at spring break, we scored 11:15am PAT. That was the earliest. For our next cruise, since we were silver, we were able to get a 10:30 PAT.

Good luck. 11:15 was still a great PAT.

We are going on our 4th cruise at New Year's. We are NOT going to try and get there first thing. For us, it's too stressful. There is only one reason to try and get there before they start boarding, and that's to score an upgraded cabin, and those simply aren't going to be available for the New Year's cruise.
Last time the line for the ladies room was so long a CM took a group of us down the back way to the bathrooms in the luggage area. And there was no where to sit, and folks all crowding near the entrance to for when their number is called to board.
We are going to wait until noon or so to arrive, to keep it chill. Still plenty of time to get a nice lunch in before cabins open. The cruise is so different from the parks, it's all about relaxing!
Good luck with whatever you choose! I totally understand wanting to be there the first minute if this is your first cruise!

Unless you're sailing Concierge, I'd go with a later PAT. Things are crowded and crazy and seating is at a premium in the terminal until boarding starts, and there's not a whole lot to do other than some character photo opportunities, getting your kids signed up for the clubs, and looking at the ship model. Crowds in Cabanas clear out some too, and for our family, at least, it's a more relaxing start to our vacation. I wish I'd known this before our first cruise. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter