Passports at Foreign Port?

We're doing the Norwegian Fjord and Iceland cruise this year. I was wondering if they took your passport any other time. I assume you went to Iceland first then Norway. I was just wondering if they would take it for Norway as well.

When I did Norway and Iceland last year, DCL never took my passport. I feel like I needed it in both Iceland and Norway, but not our stop in Scotland (though my memory is rusty).

If your'e at a port where you NEED your passport, they won't let you off the ship without it. They will check when you're checking in for excursions and again when you're actually getting off the ship, in my experience.

We're doing the Norwegian Fjord and Iceland cruise this year. I was wondering if they took your passport any other time. I assume you went to Iceland first then Norway. I was just wondering if they would take it for Norway as well.
We went to England, Scotland, 2 different stops in Iceland, 2 stops in Norway, then ended in Copenhagen. Iceland was the only place we had to get our passport stamped, and DCL took care of it.

When I did Norway and Iceland last year, DCL never took my passport. I feel like I needed it in both Iceland and Norway, but not our stop in Scotland (though my memory is rusty).

If your'e at a port where you NEED your passport, they won't let you off the ship without it. They will check when you're checking in for excursions and again when you're actually getting off the ship, in my experience.

We went to England, Scotland, 2 different stops in Iceland, 2 stops in Norway, then ended in Copenhagen. Iceland was the only place we had to get our passport stamped, and DCL took care of it.

Thanks for your responses.

I've been looking over the previous Navigators and it only states the generic message saying that you need to take your Key and photo ID. I wish they would mention it on the Navigators whether Passports are required. I know during my other cruises, they did announce, before allowing everyone to disembark, whether passports are required.

that's true of US citizens...fortunately i have dual citizenship and my other passport does not require a visa to russia... :)
a US passport isn't always the best one to have (true for when i visit both russia and china, where a US passport is a disadvantage)..

Yes, I am sorry, I did what I hate which is not give a complete answer. Mine was purely for US citizens with no other passports. And I am well aware that the US passport is often not the most beloved in other countries. I always tell my dual-citizenship friends that are US and Canadian citizens to always travel on their Canadian passport as everyone seems to love them worldwide.

Yes, I am sorry, I did what I hate which is not give a complete answer. Mine was purely for US citizens with no other passports. And I am well aware that the US passport is often not the most beloved in other countries. I always tell my dual-citizenship friends that are US and Canadian citizens to always travel on their Canadian passport as everyone seems to love them worldwide.

that's funny, but kinda true...

In 2015 we had to have our passports with us at ports in Norway (DCL cruise).

Last year (2017) we did not need our passport for Norway - our cruise started and ended in Copenhagen. Did they tell you to take it with you in your case?

Last year (2017) we did not need our passport for Norway - our cruise started and ended in Copenhagen. Did they tell you to take it with you in your case?

Yes. They were very clear we had to have them and they checked when disembarking. Closed loop from Copenhagen for us too. Norway must have changed their requirements since then.

Just returned from our Baja California cruise. We decided to leave the passports in the stateroom safe and just took our ID and KTTW cards. For both Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada ports, we had to beep our KTTW cards at the Deck 1 doors both exiting the ship and re-entering the ship. At Cabo San Lucas, a security guy asked to see our "Ship Cards" (i.e. KTTW cards) to regain access to the tender dock, but nobody checked our IDs either there or back aboard the ship. At Ensenada, we had to show our "Ship Cards" to regain access to the Cruise Ship Terminal area, and once at the dock itself, we had to pass through metal detectors, scan our bags like at TSA, and also show both our IDs and KTTW cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter