Passports at Foreign Port?

Only if it's required. Some excursions (those that go across the Canadian boarder, for example) will require passports.
So sorry. I meant in St. Petersburg, as someone above me was responding to that. I should really remember to quote people when I ask questions or respond. :oops:

So sorry. I meant in St. Petersburg, as someone above me was responding to that. I should really remember to quote people when I ask questions or respond. :oops:
Yes, it is required to have your passport stamped in St. Petersburg, even if you're with a DCL tour group. We're going on the Northern European cruise this summer, so I've been researching it.

I have been to a few ports that required visitors to carry their passport. They were all in Europe except for an Alaska excursion that crossed over into Canada. Canada required passports in that instance.

In St. Petersburg you must bring along your passport, regardless of what kind of tour you are on. They want to check it when you leave the ship, and when you return.

On the 2017 EBTA we were told by DCL we had to have our passports with us in every port. They checked them on every DCL sponsored excursion and we needed them to enter all of the port areas when returning to the ship.

On the 2017 EBTA we were told by DCL we had to have our passports with us in every port. They checked them on every DCL sponsored excursion and we needed them to enter all of the port areas when returning to the ship.
Yes, things can change from cruise to cruise. If a country that the ship is calling at requires passports, then the cruise line will require passports. Many upscale cruise lines already require passports for any cruise, regardless of what the actual legal requirements are.

When we cruised to Iceland and Norway, DCL took up everyone's passport when we checked in at Dover and gave them back after they had them stamped in Iceland.

For St Petersburg, if you do not have a Port Adventure booked with DCL or an excursion pre-booked with a licensed touring company, they will not let you into the country without a tourist visa. Tourist visas cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 per person (non-refundable) to apply for, about 6 months to process, and are not guaranteed to be approved.

that's true of US citizens...fortunately i have dual citizenship and my other passport does not require a visa to russia... :)
a US passport isn't always the best one to have (true for when i visit both russia and china, where a US passport is a disadvantage)..

Some other European ports (I think Mediterranean) have laws about identification so the navigators says you need your passport. In these two scenarios, it is important to have your actual passport.

Interesting, we were just talking about this yesterday; we're European, will we need to bring a passport? If we would drive from Spain through France to Italy, we would not bring our passports. The cruise starts in Spain, so everyone on board is already in Europe and approved.
It's almost like going from state to state, if cruising to Alaska and getting off the ship for an excursion, you're not bringing your passport are you?
[just thinking aloud, I don't know the actual answer]

Interesting, we were just talking about this yesterday; we're European, will we need to bring a passport? If we would drive from Spain through France to Italy, we would not bring our passports. The cruise starts in Spain, so everyone on board is already in Europe and approved.
It's almost like going from state to state, if cruising to Alaska and getting off the ship for an excursion, you're not bringing your passport are you?

Interesting perspective. I assume a drivers license would probably be all you need. But, you'll need to check with DCL.

As far as US citizens sailing in Alaska. No, we would not need to bring a passport with us when stopping at Alaskan ports, our Drivers License is proof enough of citizenship. However, Alaskan cruises leave from Canada, so yes, we need passports. Also, if going into the Yukon from Skagway, we are entering Canada, so we are required to bring passports with us.

you're right - you're in the EU, so you shouldn't need a passport on the ship for a med cruise...assuming all the countries you visit are in the EU...

We did private tours in St Petersburg two cruises and two days each, we had Anastasia travel of St Petersburg organise everything for us.
As soon as we docked, typically an hour before the advertised times, we were off through border control, we had to have our passports and stamped, and through in circa a few minutes.
Some counties require a PP to be seen to get in the port, DCL will advise where.
Whilst in the EU it's correct to say you should be able to travel without PP, for " security " re recent events, some ports require a PP for ID.
Note UK is not in shengen agreement and leaves EU end of March 2019. Tighter border control is likely for the UK.

There are a lot of different opinions out there. I make a personal judgement call based on my personal perceived risk, making sure to remain compliant with the rules for getting on and off the ship at a minimum.

When we were in Cartegena Columbia, I felt it was better for my wife and I each to be carrying our own passports. We were only required to carry a photo ID and KTTW card (which we also carried). When we arrived in Mexico (both ports) we just carried the driver license. When visiting foreign countries that I'm not cruising with, I always carry my passport.

I do realize passports can (and are) stolen. Carrying just a photocopy doesn't help much, because it doesn't serve as an ID and it still has all the personal information that a passport does. High risk, little reward. Having a photocopy in your room safe carries little risk and can help in obtaining a temporary passport from the US embassy if yours is lost or stolen and you need one right away.

Most cruise vacation go to common ports and guests join a tour operator on an excursion (ship booked or not). Those carry lower risk of issues than if you are out on our own milling about.

I have a travel safe pouch for my passport for those places where I have a greater concern due to history of pick-pockets.

Your mileage may vary.

Do Caribbean ports stamp your passport?

Some might. The only place I've tried was in Nassau, which is an easy process to do. I'm not familiar with any other destinations but at one point I was googling to find out and I did find a list somewhere so you might check and see if you can find that.

There are a lot of different opinions out there. I make a personal judgement call based on my personal perceived risk, making sure to remain compliant with the rules for getting on and off the ship at a minimum.

When we were in Cartegena Columbia, I felt it was better for my wife and I each to be carrying our own passports. We were only required to carry a photo ID and KTTW card (which we also carried). When we arrived in Mexico (both ports) we just carried the driver license. When visiting foreign countries that I'm not cruising with, I always carry my passport.

I do realize passports can (and are) stolen. Carrying just a photocopy doesn't help much, because it doesn't serve as an ID and it still has all the personal information that a passport does. High risk, little reward. Having a photocopy in your room safe carries little risk and can help in obtaining a temporary passport from the US embassy if yours is lost or stolen and you need one right away.

Most cruise vacation go to common ports and guests join a tour operator on an excursion (ship booked or not). Those carry lower risk of issues than if you are out on our own milling about.

I have a travel safe pouch for my passport for those places where I have a greater concern due to history of pick-pockets.

Your mileage may vary.

exactly....i kind of go overboard in the copy department....as i mentioned, i always carry our passports with me when we travel...
as for copies, i keep a physical copy in the hotel room/stateroom...
and i have several digital copies stored in my various email accounts that i can access from anywhere...
also in the hotel/stateroom are paper copies (as well as digital copies in my email) of any required visas in our passports..

When we cruised to Iceland and Norway, DCL took up everyone's passport when we checked in at Dover and gave them back after they had them stamped in Iceland.

We're doing the Norwegian Fjord and Iceland cruise this year. I was wondering if they took your passport any other time. I assume you went to Iceland first then Norway. I was just wondering if they would take it for Norway as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter