• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Passport timeline

Dan23-5

Earning My Ears
Hello all can any one tell me what the most recent passport turn around is. My wife had to send her passport in for a new passport card since she miss placed it.(found it now) check was cashed last week so we know it made it to passport card office. We sail sept 9 should we worry? That it not going to be back in time they say 6-8 weeks.

Hello all can any one tell me what the most recent passport turn around is. My wife had to send her passport in for a new passport card since she miss placed it.(found it now) check was cashed last week so we know it made it to passport card office. We sail sept 9 should we worry? That it not going to be back in time they say 6-8 weeks.
Since it's 10 weeks until Sept 9, I thing there's really no issue. But, usually, reports seem to say 3-4 weeks is the return time.

We sent ours off at the end of May - my husband's arrived the day after mine did and at the time the estimate was 4-6 weeks. I logged in to check at one point and it then said 6-8 weeks which was surprising. My husbands actually ended up getting processed and sent back at the 3 week mark, but mine stayed MIA for another week so I was starting to worry it was lost. Thankfully I got an email that it was on its way a few days ago, exactly 4 weeks from when it arrived at the facility. Though they say it can take up to 10 days to ship, his arrived in 4, and mine supposedly just arrived at my work today though the estimate was July 2nd (which kind of sucks as it is Saturday and no one is there to sign for it. Whoops.) We've always gotten ours back on the shorter side of the time estimate which leads me to guess they under promise and over deliver, but I'd still plan for it to take 8. Did you not get a notice to your email when it arrived..? We both did but maybe we signed up for that.

We did ours last September. My husband's and daughter's were here in 2 weeks. A week later I got a letter that mine was all screwed up. The girl at the post office didn't sign the paperwork at my appointment and sent it in. I had to do another appointment with a new copy of everything, while they held onto all my original documents expecting the new paperwork. It was a pain but I think only about a week after that.

We applied for my sons on May 15th at the post office and received it June 17th and his birth certificate came a few days later in a separate envelope

We just had ours renewed (May 1) and it took just under a month. I made a mistake with my daughter's renewal (technically because of her age, she needed a new one, not a renewal). I knew I made a mistake but they were terrible about communication. The website tells you who and how to call but I found the telephone calls I made to be useless. Just know that if you find you have to call. Also, the fact that they cashed the check doesn't seem to indicate timing--at least in our case.
That being said, even with our mistake, our daughter's arrived 7 weeks after we mailed it. I think you will be fine.

You have plenty of time, just go do it now (if you haven't already). Enjoy your cruise!

I think it has a lot to do with if you currently reside in the same state that you are born in. My youngest two daughters got theirs relatively quickly. 3-4 weeks. We reside in the state they were born in. My oldest daughter, dh and I took the full 8 weeks. Dh was just getting a renewal but the rest of us have never had passports before. We all got them just a few weeks ago.

My husband and renewed our passports in April for our June 14th cruise. We didn't need to ( not expiring for a bit) but were told the turnaround time was 4-6 weeks but recently back were processing in 3. Well we didn't get ours until after we left, luckily only really needed birth certificates.
However, these are the lessons we learned: a cashed check DOES NOT mean your passport is being processed (Ours was cashed in April) you will receive a message by email when the processing starts if you sign up for that (I did), you can call to check on the current whereabouts of your passport ( found in JUNE ours had not even been processed yet-so we got a FREE upgrade to the expedited passport which will be ready in 2-3 weeks WHAT! I leave in 2 now! Yikes!
Anyway I learned to plan on a longer time than stated and to look for that email saying it is being processed.

We had a bit of a pickle as our kids expired between a cruise in January, a land vacation to Belize in April and our cruise this July. We did the process (groan) at the post office where the person told us we didn't need to send back the passport cards to get the book & cards updated. We cruised on the kids cards and came home to a letter from State asking us why we didn't send in the expiring cards as they couldn't process the kids application without both the old book & card. And one of my daughters' picture had red-eye and we needed a new one. Joy. It all worked out, but geez.

Derailing the thread a bit:
For cheap entertainment, go to the post office and watch people without appointments for passports lose their minds when the postal workers call the names of the last people that would be service that day. OMG, it is just amazing. I have lots of sympathy for the postal workers.

If I’m correct the online system will not update for processe of the passport card since that is all she needed. Still sucks my wife had to send whole passport in to get a replacement card.

Last edited:
If I’m correct the online system will not update for processe of the passport card since that is all she needed. Still sucks she had to send whole passport in to get a replacement card.
Sorry I wasn't clear. We sent in the books, kept the cards, had to send the cards later because they wouldn't do the new books or the new cards without both of the old ones.

5th week tomorrow still no passport card or my wife’s passport used for identification. Sorry just getting nervous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter