Passport question tinged with aggravation

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
So it's weird to think that a message board might be more useful than a Gov agency but since there are no humans taking calls and I need to fit into the box of the automated system to be routed like a dollar in a soda vending machine (our tax dollars at work) it seems this will be more fruitful. I was hung up on 3 times because I do not follow the script, so that's fun. I should not be surprised but I sort of am shocked, this is very important stuff and it's treated like an afterthought, sign of the times I guess.

We are set to expire at the end of next month so renewal time is here, I have Renewal Forms from the Post Office in my hands.
One of the cards from a family member may or may not be missing, still looking, but the actual passport is in hand.
Since all is about to expire anyway do we need to report this as missing, will the card not being included alone be enough to throw the whole thing off? This family member is supposed to go on a cruise this summer.

So it's weird to think that a message board might be more useful than a Gov agency but since there are no humans taking calls and I need to fit into the box of the automated system to be routed like a dollar in a soda vending machine (our tax dollars at work) it seems this will be more fruitful. I was hung up on 3 times because I do not follow the script, so that's fun. I should not be surprised but I sort of am shocked, this is very important stuff and it's treated like an afterthought, sign of the times I guess.

We are set to expire at the end of next month so renewal time is here, I have Renewal Forms from the Post Office in my hands.
One of the cards from a family member may or may not be missing, still looking, but the actual passport is in hand.
Since all is about to expire anyway do we need to report this as missing, will the card not being included alone be enough to throw the whole thing off? This family member is supposed to go on a cruise this summer.
First google result...
Yes. Your passport does not have to be expired for you to renew it. If you want to renew both a valid passport book and passport card, you must submit both documents. For example, if you can submit a passport book, but you lost your passport card, you cannot renew the passport card. If you want to renew either a valid book or a card, you must submit the specific document you want to renew.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html#:~:text=it's still valid?-,Yes.,cannot renew the passport card.

Expand the "Can I renew my passport if it's still valid" FAQ.

Sounds like you can renew the passport, but not the card.

ETA: If not renewing the card will be an issue, I suggest going to a local passport acceptance agency and see what they suggest you do with no card.

Last edited:
No help as I’ve never owned a passport or passport card. But does one need both? I thought a passport was good very all travel but the card was only good for Canada and Mexico.

No help as I’ve never owned a passport or passport card. But does one need both? I thought a passport was good very all travel but the card was only good for Canada and Mexico.
A passport is required to fly internationally, a card can get you into Mexico and Canada if driving. A card also works for domestic travel, even if real ID is needed in the future, the card works as well. Most closed loop cruises leaving from the US don’t actually require a passport, a passport card or birth certificate/drivers license will be fine. We all have passports and passport cards and I was actually wondering if the card will need to be mailed in for renewal, now I know.

Passport cards, can only be used in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.
Passport cards are limited to travel through land and Sea only.

There is an option to renew online now. I am in the process of doing that now. The process was fairly simple with my only issue being getting the uploaded photo accepted. I am about 5 weeks out from submitting, so my renewal is still processing.

First google result...
Yes. Your passport does not have to be expired for you to renew it. If you want to renew both a valid passport book and passport card, you must submit both documents. For example, if you can submit a passport book, but you lost your passport card, you cannot renew the passport card. If you want to renew either a valid book or a card, you must submit the specific document you want to renew.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html#:~:text=it's still valid?-,Yes.,cannot renew the passport card.

Expand the "Can I renew my passport if it's still valid" FAQ.

Sounds like you can renew the passport, but not the card.

ETA: If not renewing the card will be an issue, I suggest going to a local passport acceptance agency and see what they suggest you do with no card.
It's like my mother from beyond is channeling through you- spooky

I will now continue with normal broadcasting...

See this is the tricky part, a few family members are reading it's not a big deal because it is expiring anyway so it is a non event.
One family member is reading you only need to replace what you want
I'm reading that it is all important and any missing bits can get flagged and disrupt things, that the and/or in the directions is mostly about whether you opted into the card or not

See this is the tricky part, a few family members are reading it's not a big deal because it is expiring anyway so it is a non event.
One family member is reading you only need to replace what you want
I'm reading that it is all important and any missing bits can get flagged and disrupt things, that the and/or in the directions is mostly about whether you opted into the card or not
Where are you reading that though? According to the gov site I quoted above, you renew what you want. If you think about it, it doesn't make sense to force someone to renew the card. What if they've decided the card really doesn't help and it's not worth the extra expense?

I got a passport card for me and my kids for domestic travel. My state is very far behind on real id so I just added it on. My kids are 13 so should not need anything but I like the idea that they will have some official id card just in case.

See, this is why a human at the Passport services area answering the phone is more important that shuffling people into a inanimated void:

We do want both documents, the passport and the passport card for convenience, as in say the license goes missing we can still travel with the card as ID instead of bringing a passport. Regardless of what anyone else thinks of it's value, we do want both documents.

So far we have not located the card, it may show up or it may not show up.

Is it necessary to produce both documents for renewal they expire in a little over a month?

If both documents are necessary is it easier to just let the document expire and get a new one after the fact or to report it as missing and go that route? Does it matter?

See, this is why a human at the Passport services area answering the phone is more important that shuffling people into a inanimated void:

We do want both documents, the passport and the passport card for convenience, as in say the license goes missing we can still travel with the card as ID instead of bringing a passport. Regardless of what anyone else thinks of it's value, we do want both documents.

So far we have not located the card, it may show up or it may not show up.

Is it necessary to produce both documents for renewal they expire in a little over a month?

If both documents are necessary is it easier to just let the document expire and get a new one after the fact or to report it as missing and go that route? Does it matter?
I think you're making this much harder than it needs to be.

If you want to renew a document you have possession of, follow the renewal process (can be mail or online).

If you want to renew a document you DON'T have possession of, here are the steps:

Replace a Lost Passport​

To replace a lost passport, you will need to apply in person and include the following:

1. Form DS-64 (Statement regarding lost or stolen passport)
  2. Form DS-11 (Application for U.S. passport)
  3. Citizenship evidence* (e.g. birth or naturalization certificate)
  4. A photocopy of citizenship evidence
  5. Present ID (in person)
  6. A photocopy of ID
  7. One passport photo
  8. Fees

Again, this is from a government website: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../replacing-your-passport-after-the-storm.html

And before you say "but I lost the card, not the passport", they're basically the same. Here's Form DS-64: https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds64.pdf

It references a lost book OR card.

ETA: If you want both, I would NOT send in just the book. Have your forms together and go in person.

We couldn't find our child's passport card when renewing. We just filed a lost passport form along with the passport renewal application, although this was for a rush passport at a passport agency office.

The form to report a lost/stolen passport is now available online in addition to paper forms.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/lost-stolen.html

But if you want to do it online, there's the pilot program for passport renewal. It's apparently open now and hasn't closed for this period yet. They've opened it multiple times but close it after a certain number of applications are received for each period. This doesn't require that the passport or card be submitted, and the lost/stolen report can be done later. I did this last October, and it saved me from having to submit a paper photo and mailing costs. I could also pay for it with a credit card, while regular mail-in renewal has to be via check or money order. I also could keep my passport and card without them being physically cancelled, although I was informed that they were cancelled immediately and couldn't be used for travel, although both were expired (but less than 5 years). Another other rule they have is that they can't have more than 1 year validity remaining for this online renewal, I suppose to limit the number of people applying.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew-online.html

We couldn't find our child's passport card when renewing. We just filed a lost passport form along with the passport renewal application, although this was for a rush passport at a passport agency office.

The form to report a lost/stolen passport is now available online in addition to paper forms.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/lost-stolen.html

But if you want to do it online, there's the pilot program for passport renewal. It's apparently open now and hasn't closed for this period yet. They've opened it multiple times but close it after a certain number of applications are received for each period. This doesn't require that the passport or card be submitted, and the lost/stolen report can be done later. I did this last October, and it saved me from having to submit a paper photo and mailing costs. I could also pay for it with a credit card, while regular mail-in renewal has to be via check or money order. I also could keep my passport and card without them being physically cancelled, although I was informed that they were cancelled immediately and couldn't be used for travel, although both were expired (but less than 5 years). Another other rule they have is that they can't have more than 1 year validity remaining for this online renewal, I suppose to limit the number of people applying.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew-online.html
Thank you! This is very useful and sort of in line with what I expected.

A passport is required to fly internationally, a card can get you into Mexico and Canada if driving. A card also works for domestic travel, even if real ID is needed in the future, the card works as well. Most closed loop cruises leaving from the US don’t actually require a passport, a passport card or birth certificate/drivers license will be fine. We all have passports and passport cards and I was actually wondering if the card will need to be mailed in for renewal, now I know.

Passport cards, can only be used in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.
Passport cards are limited to travel through land and Sea only.

This is inline with my understanding. A passport covers everything. The card has limited function and really isn’t necessary if one has a passport. It may be nice to have but ultimately a passport does everything the card does and more.

This is inline with my understanding. A passport covers everything. The card has limited function and really isn’t necessary if one has a passport. It may be nice to have but ultimately a passport does everything the card does and more.

The biggest issue with a passport is just the form is not really all that convenient to carry. As an ID a passport card is almost perfect. While I've used to for border travel, I did have my passport with me.

I've heard of some US citizens who live near border areas who carry one "just in case" they're ever stopped and suspected of being undocumented immigrants.

I recently lost my passport card and I have my passport. Went to the website, reported the card lost, and filled out the form as instructed to replace it. Made my appointment (3 weeks out) to finish the process to replace it (show ID, etc). Went this week, and the worker at the post office told me, oh no, you filled out the wrong form. You need to fill out another form, which we don't have any copies of. Went home to print off the form, and it specifically says you can't use this form if you are looking to replace a lost card. Need to fill out the form I completed originally. Made another appointment two weeks out (at another location) and I am hoping for a more helpful worker! I was so annoyed

I recently lost my passport card and I have my passport. Went to the website, reported the card lost, and filled out the form as instructed to replace it. Made my appointment (3 weeks out) to finish the process to replace it (show ID, etc). Went this week, and the worker at the post office told me, oh no, you filled out the wrong form. You need to fill out another form, which we don't have any copies of. Went home to print off the form, and it specifically says you can't use this form if you are looking to replace a lost card. Need to fill out the form I completed originally. Made another appointment two weeks out (at another location) and I am hoping for a more helpful worker! I was so annoyed

I would never go to a post office to get forms. All the forms you need are online, including ones that you can fill online and print out. Saves a lot of aggravation with anyone who might have read handwriting.

But then again, I have a printer so I can't account for those who don't.

I would never go to a post office to get forms. All the forms you need are online, including ones that you can fill online and print out. Saves a lot of aggravation with anyone who might have read handwriting.

But then again, I have a printer so I can't account for those who don't.
The poster you quoted did exactly that. Then, when presenting the forms in person, was told it was the wrong form (which it wasn't).

So if the passport card is reported lost at the time to request renewal is it first processed as lost and then everything replaced THEN renewed? JUst hoping we don't end up holding an expired but freshly printed card. One would think it would not be the case but these things aren't necessarily reasonable, in my experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter