Passport Processing Time

MouseFan88

Mouseketeer
Has anyone gotten or renewed a passport recently? We booked a great OGT for the Nov 10 sailing on the Magic, which leaves in 7.5 weeks. My husband needs his passport renewed, and we have to get passport cards for both daughters. Wondering if I need to pay the larger expediting fee or if I can get away without it.

My husband also recently renewed his passport over the summer. I don't remember exactly how long it took, but it was in the 4 to 5 weeks range as well. This was for the normal (non-expedited) service.

I renewed mine and DW back in February and it took 4 weeks. I would recommend getting the applications in the mail within the next couple days.

Not really recently, but we had to get dd's renewed during the govt shutdown last year and even then we got it within 3 or 4 weeks.

We mailed our passport renewals 7/10/19, received them back 8/16/19. That said, they warned us when we submitted that there was a backlog, and that we probably wouldn't get them back for eight weeks. So...reality was five weeks but YMMV. Good luck!!

When I got my son’s newest they said 4-6 weeks. We’re at at 4 weeks today. I think all of my previous ones (and his) have taken less time than this.

Renewals typically take shorter time that new applications. I was told 6-8 weeks and I'm currently on week 6 since they received it, and it still in process (however mine needed additional documents which delayed the process)

We applied for a new passport for our daughter on August 17th & received it on September 11th. So just over 3 weeks. We did not pay to expedite.

I renewed my passport over this summer and it took about 5 weeks. My boyfriend on the other hand was a new applicant (applied 2 weeks after I did in June), and still does not have his passport, as his application is on hold.

Just another perspective here. If you are a U.S. citizen on a closed loop cruise from the U.S. you don't need a passport. Also, the cards aren't necessary for the children and are of no help if you need to fly home from a foreign port so I don't know if you were getting them specifically for the cruise or there was another reason. You can use your birth certificate and a driver's license as a backup if your husband doesn't get his passport renewed in time. And you could just need birth certificates for the children. I just don't see the point in spending extra money to expedite them if you don't really need them to take the cruise in the first place. Just my opinion. Happy cruising!

I'm curious why you need a passport card for the cruise. Do you not currently have passports at all? How do you plan to use the card vs the actual passport?

We're not on a closed loop (new York to San Juan), so all passengers require a passport. Since all of our flights are domestic (Puerto Rico counts as the us), the girls don't need passport books, but do need passport cards for the cruise. Went ahead and paid the expedite fees and submitted everything today. Better to have the peace of mind. Saved so much on the cruise by booking OGT (5 nights for 4 people for $250???) that I don't mind the $180 in expedite fees

Just a note for those on closed-loop cruises: If you are getting a passport for the first time (and for the renewal of a child's passport), you will need to send an official birth certificate (or other proof of citizenship). If there is any chance you won't receive the passport before your cruise, make sure you have a second copy of the birth certificate to use as a backup.

Has anyone gotten or renewed a passport recently? We booked a great OGT for the Nov 10 sailing on the Magic, which leaves in 7.5 weeks. My husband needs his passport renewed, and we have to get passport cards for both daughters. Wondering if I need to pay the larger expediting fee or if I can get away without it.
DW and I just renewed. Mailed application 8/14 using priority mail. Receipt logged on Monday 8/19. DW approved on 9/3 and her passport arrived 9/8. Mine was approved 9/10 and arrived 9/13. Passport cards for both of us arrived yesterday, 9/16 (they are mailed separately from the passports). My old passport and passport card also arrived yesterday and DW’s arrived today (9/17).

Total time from mailing to completion of everything was one day short of 5 weeks, but new passports arrived in just over 4 weeks for the slower of the two. The claim is 6-8 weeks, but the summertime rush is over, so I would expect that 7.5 weeks is enough without paying anything extra to expedite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter