Passport or no Passport Sailing Magic NYC-Florida-Casteway Cay

Tucker24

Mouseketeer
Leaving out of New York on the Magic. Going to Casteway Cay and then Port Canaveral. Finally sailing up back to New York.
The website mentioned that we would need government issued ID (license) and we could use a birth certificate.
Do I need passport? The island is in the Bahama's but it's a Disney Island and no other stops outside of US. The other stop is in Florida so no passport needed there right?

Should I get a rushed passport? Sailing on Magic 11/11

Leaving out of New York on the Magic. Going to Casteway Cay and then Port Canaveral. Finally sailing up back to New York.
The website mentioned that we would need government issued ID (license) and we could use a birth certificate.
Do I need passport? The island is in the Bahama's but it's a Disney Island and no other stops outside of US. The other stop is in Florida so no passport needed there right?

The minimum ID requirement for US citizens on a closed loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port) is a birth certificate and (for those 16 and over) a government issued photo ID.

Certainly a passport is more effective if there were issues causing you to need to fly back home from a foreign port, but a passport is not required (at this time) for this cruise.

Castaway Cay is in the Bahamas (out of the US). It's not a "Disney" island. Disney basically leased the space on the island, it's still in the Bahamas.

A Passport may not be required, but I have been cruising for almost 40 years, and I always take my Passport.

I always travel with a Passport (even domestically) but in your case I would not pay for rushed service for a passport. Make sure you have original BC's not copies and a valid government photo ID.

We just did this itinerary 2 weeks ago...you will have fun!!

Just know that if for any reason you need fly home from the Bahamas (medical emergency, etc.) you will not be able to fly with your driver's license....a Passport would be needed.

MJ

Just know that if for any reason you need fly home from the Bahamas (medical emergency, etc.) you will not be able to fly with your driver's license....a Passport would be needed.

MJ
Have you had this experience? How does it work getting a passport in this case?

I have not had that experience luckily but I know you can't fly internationally without a passport so I guess you would have to get to an American Embassy in the Bahamas somewhere (certainly not on Castaway Cay) and plead your case and see if they can issue an on the spot passport. Probably costly. You would have to get a boat most likely to Nassau.

Visit the US Passport website for info on Passport requirements.

MJ

Make sure you have original BC's not copies

OK but "original BC" means ANY certificed BC you get from your state's registrar's office (or whatever your state calls it where you get BCs). It doesn't mean the actual original one your parents ordered for you.

[Now...while I recommend the above, cbp (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative) actually says "U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID." Note the LACK of the word "certified" there.

And DCL says "Original or copy of their state-issued birth certificate". Again, no "certified".

Funny little lack of a word on official pages (especially the cbp one).]

I have not had that experience luckily but I know you can't fly internationally without a passport so I guess you would have to get to an American Embassy in the Bahamas somewhere (certainly not on Castaway Cay) and plead your case and see if they can issue an on the spot passport. Probably costly. You would have to get a boat most likely to Nassau.

Visit the US Passport website for info on Passport requirements.

MJ
Thanks! I was just curious if this is something that has happened to you, or if you were just repeating what you have seen elsewhere.

MUN

Legally, you just need a government issued ID and certified copy of your birth certificate (as was originally posted). Passports make the whole process easier.

I'm guessing there is less risk of needing a passport for an emergency for this particular cruise. I think (don't know for certain) that if you happened to have a medical emergency on Castaway Cay, they would take you directly to Miami. It's definitely close enough. Yes, it is foreign soil, but you won't be dealing with a commercial airport. There would clearly be some sort of immigration and customs check, but would likely be after the medical emergency is dealt with.

Our first few cruises to the Bahamas we did not have passports. I think we even did a western without one. I wouldn't worry about it for next week. I think you would have to send in your BC's. If something happened and you didn't get them back in time you'd really be in a mess. I would just use your Birth certificates this time. Your only going to one international port on this cruise and that's Castaway I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your cruise.

I'm guessing there is less risk of needing a passport for an emergency for this particular cruise. I think (don't know for certain) that if you happened to have a medical emergency on Castaway Cay, they would take you directly to Miami. It's definitely close enough. Yes, it is foreign soil, but you won't be dealing with a commercial airport. There would clearly be some sort of immigration and customs check, but would likely be after the medical emergency is dealt with.
I was on the Dream this summer when we had a medical emergency on a Castaway Cay day (not on the island, but for something that happened on board the ship), and the ship went to Nassau that evening to drop them off for medical care.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-happen-with-the-dream.3615293/

OK but "original BC" means ANY certificed BC you get from your state's registrar's office (or whatever your state calls it where you get BCs). It doesn't mean the actual original one your parents ordered for you.

[Now...while I recommend the above, cbp (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative) actually says "U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID." Note the LACK of the word "certified" there.

And DCL says "Original or copy of their state-issued birth certificate". Again, no "certified".

Funny little lack of a word on official pages (especially the cbp one).]

Yes!

MJ

From what I understand, and this is from reading a first hand account from at least 2 different families is that if for what ever the reason,if you are in a foreign country, whether is a medical reason or even a ship issue, ( see RCCLs ship that was stuck in the Caymans due to a bad back up generator) and you are not returning on the ship, you will need a passport to return to the US.
This is off the US German Embassy site.:

Emergency passports are issued only in real emergencies, and evidence of the need for immediate, emergency travel should be submitted with applications. Emergency passports are normally limited in validity and cannot be extended. Furthermore, you must appear at the Embassy or Consulate in person, during business hours, to apply. The application process and fee are the same as if you were applying for a regular passport.

If you apply for your regular passport within 1 year of the issue date of the emergency passport, you will not have to pay the fee again. When you receive your emergency passport, you will also receive a letter that explains how to obtain a regular passport after returning from your urgent travel.

It is best to call in advance to arrange an appointment for your emergency passport, and in such cases you may reach out to your nearest Embassy or Consulate.

For non-emergency issues, please see our general contact information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter