Passport for Canadians flying from Buffalo?

KAREN55555

Mouseketeer
Uh oh I've been reading some posts about passports. My DS and I are flying out of Buffalo Christmas morning for WDW. We will show our ID when we come across the Peace Bridge (were both canadians) If were travelling to Florida within the US will they ask to see passports? Mine has expired and DS does'nt have one. Anyone with prior knowledge or hazard to take a guess for me?

Crossing the border from Canada to the US does not currently require a passport. You will need your original birth certificate and photo ID. If you are travelling alone with your son, you may also need a have a letter from his father stating that he is allowed to travel with you.

You will need to show your ID at the airport when checking in, but of course will not need to clear customs again as you will be on a domestic flight.

Of course if you have a passport however, this is the best way to travel.

Hi, we fly out of buffalo all the time. Last trip in august, they scrutinized our passports at the bridge, and required them three times before we got on the plane. Once at check in, once thru security and once before boarding. Technically u dont need a passport, but it is so much easier than showing lots of ID. Kids are only $35, for a passport, if u decide its a good idea. Whichever u choose, just keep them in hand all the time, they need to see u. Also, if ur flight was booked online, those, sheets u print out, they need to see those as well. I thought it was just for a confirmation, but im glad i had em, otherwise, they wont let u thru. hope it helps.

I'm reading your post correctlt. Did you say they did check your passports at the check in before boarding the plane? You also mentioned that we won't need passports at check in.

My son is in the process of a name change thats why I'm holding off getting his passport. In January the name change process will be complete so I'd rather not get one if I can help it.
Thanks

I'm reading your post correctlt. Did you say they did check your passports at the check in before boarding the plane? You also mentioned that we won't need passports at check in.

My son is in the process of a name change thats why I'm holding off getting his passport. In January the name change process will be complete so I'd rather not get one if I can help it.
Thanks

Karen 5555,

No, you don't need a passport but as Poohbwv stated, it is the best way to travel.

Last week we flew out of Syracuse so, we were flying domestic.
1. At check-in , we had to show ID (we had our passports)
2. Before we went through security, we had to show our boarding passes as well as our passports.

3. Then just before we boarded the plane, we were again asked for ID.

That is a total of 3 times before we even got on the plane. And I haven't even included the border crossing where had to show our passports.

We had a connecting flight to take from Washington to Orlando and again just before boarding we were asked for ID.

On the return home, we went through exactly the same thing.
Just be prepared with your ID.

If you are travelling with your son alone, I also recommend a note stating that he can travel with just you.
This is what happened to my sister who flew with 2 of her sons, while her dh drove down with another son. The oldest son, who was 6 at the time was questioned. He was asked where his father was, etc. Thankfully, he understood that his daddy was driving home with grandma, grandpa and middle brother.

I didn't notice if all this ID showing was random or not and that we were just unlucky. We do not stand out from any other family.

Again just be prepared with your birth certificate and photo ID at all times.

Dh & I travel alot to the States both bussines/pleasure (mostly business)- Recently we drove to WDW
now because I was not born in Canada, I always carry my Canadian passport, citzenship card and my South Africa birth Certificate...
Now the point I'm really getting to..DH has been travel in and out of the states for the past 5+ years with an EXPIRED Canadian passport, This still proves he's a Canadian citzen even though it's expired....never once has he been questioned on it , even after Sept.11. but he also bring bring other ID. birth certificate if needed. And this won't work going to any other country.
So in a nutshell...take your expired passport, birth certificate, DS birth certificate and the very importment letter from the father stating he is aware the boy is traveling with you. (My sister has had problems with this before...if you need more info on the legel side of this private messege me), And kept it handy at all times airlines check alot more times because it's easy the change places with others, smuggle kids, junk like that within the airport.

Hi Karen. I emailed the Consular Affairs this past March regarding this same question. I asked them if a drivers license and birth certificate for DH and a birth certificate and photo Health card for me (I don' t drive)would be sufficient and this is the reply:

......Thank you for your enquiry. The documents you have will suffice. The
following text is what we are telling Canadians travelling to the U.S.:

"A valid Canadian passport should be carried for all visits outside Canada.
The passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your
expected return to Canada. However, for travel to the United States, you
are only required to be in possession of valid photo identification and
proof of citizenship.

Canadians travelling to and from the United States may experience
difficulties entering, transiting, and/or returning if they do not possess
valid photo identification and proof of citizenship. A valid Canadian
passport is the most assured identificaiton both for entry into the United
States, and re-entry to Canada. All carriers (notably airlines, but also
Amtrak and Greyhound) have tightened their policies concerning passengers'
proof of admissibility into Canada. Since birth and baptismal certificates,
for example, do not have photographs, they are no longer accepted by airline
companies without accompanying valid photo identificaiton. Even carriers
that have transported Canadians from Canada to the United States on
round-trip tickets have refused to return them to Canada without valid photo
identificaiton and proof of Canadian citizenship. Many travellers have had
to contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest consulate in the United States
for assistance. Consular officials have to verify documentation with either
provincial or federal authorities, which involves further delays."

Current information concerning safety and security conditions, health
issues, entry and visa requirements and embassy contact particulars for over
220 destinations, including the United States - Florida, can be found in the
destination specific Travel Reports available in English and French on the
Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade's Web site at (
<http://www.voyage.gc.ca/> http://www.voyage.gc.ca).

Also, I suggest you read our publications entitled "Bon Voyage, But..."
which provides advice and guidance for travellers; "Her Own Way" which
provides advice for the woman traveller; and "Crossing the 49th". These
three publications can be found on the same Web site.

As for passports, the fee has already gone up. Please refer to the Passport
Office's Web site at ( http://www.ppt.gc.ca <http://www.ppt.gc.ca> ).

I hope this information proves helpful.

Nancy Théberge
Communications Officer/Agent de communications
Client Services Division/Direction des services aux clients
Consular Affairs Bureau/Direction générale des Affaires consulaires

Hope this helps you!

:)

Great advice from both of you thanks so much. Can either of you answer me this. I will not be able to get a letter from my ex since he is not around anymore. I do have custody of my son. Do you think if I travel with those papers I'll be okay. I cross the border to Buffalo at least once a week and have never been asked to prove my relationship with my son even though our last names are different. I will try to get a passport to make things easier. I just hope I can get it in time. We fly out Christmas morning.

Karen, I would think that taking your custody papers would be sufficient enough to prove your son is yours and that you have full custody amd that you're only going away for a vacation (you have the return tickets for proof). Maybe you could call or email the Consular Affairs and ask them for advice.:)

A passport can usually be done in a matter of a week or so, but I would get right to it as soon as possible.;)

Don't worry..... I bet you and you son will have a wonderful time!:sunny: :)

You should take your custody papers with you. I actually had to show mine once when driving into the States although that was years ago.

We got passports this year just so that we wouldn't have a problem at the border. We went to Buffalo last weekend for a friend's 40th Wedding Anniversary Celebration and at the crossing the US border official didn't ask us for our citizenship just asked for our ID. We both had passports so it wasn't a problem although I've crossed the border with just a birth certificate and driver's license.

I got my son a passport this past spring because he was flying to Florida with a friend to visit his Nana's condo there and I didn't want him to have any trouble b/c he doesn't have picture ID. He didn't have any problems but he did need to show letters from both his father and myself stating that we were aware that he was travelling. The funny part was that he had to show the letters coming back into Canada rather than going down to Florida.

Another thing was that because he was only 15 at the time I got his passport I had to show the custody papers at the passport office and his father also had to sign the passport application. If he had been 16 (which he was a few months later) he could have signed his own passport application and I would not have had to show the custody papers (the passport would have been more expensive though).

Cdnmickeylover

you really shouldn't have a problem with just the custody paper, but the reason they ask for a letter is because is so 1 parent dosn't "kidnap" the child from the other and disapper into the U.S.or else where. My sister had a problem for years at the border (but mostly when going elsewhere, Mexico, South Amer. etc) and the father wasn't even on my newfews birth cert. & he had same last name as her. Then she need this "real dead beat" dad to sign off so she could get son a pasport.
Best check it out with Canada Customs for your situtation.
Even if you get him a passport with he's current name you can always have an addendum made with name change later without getting a new passport. (that's what I did when I got married & after DDwas born on a lather one)
But don't get stress out about it, everything will go smoothly & you'll have a great time.

All of you have put my mind at ease. Know one could understand why I was getting so stressed out. I was having dreams of my son and I on our way to WDW with our mouse ears on and getting turned back at the gates before boarding the plane. And then watching the plane take off and seeing hunderds of people looking out of the planes windows with mouse ears on and sticking their tongues out at us. (only a mother could have these bizarre dreams) lol.

So thanks again to all who've posted so far:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter