Passport for Alaska cruise

CisforCookie991

Mouseketeer
I feel so dumb that I can't get a clear answer to this. I'm pretty sure that we just need valid passports to enter Canada (driving) for our Alaska cruise, but then I googled and found conflicting info. I tried to call the Canadian embassy to get a clear answer, and they directed me to their online wizard. I answered all the questions, then got an error.

Here's the question: we're traveling in August. My kids' passports expire in December. There's no 6 month rule for US citizens going to Canada, right? Or should I renew them now?

I feel so dumb that I can't get a clear answer to this. I'm pretty sure that we just need valid passports to enter Canada (driving) for our Alaska cruise, but then I googled and found conflicting info. I tried to call the Canadian embassy to get a clear answer, and they directed me to their online wizard. I answered all the questions, then got an error.

Here's the question: we're traveling in August. My kids' passports expire in December. There's no 6 month rule for US citizens going to Canada, right? Or should I renew them now?
What port will you sail out of, and will you be returning to the same port?

I live by the boarder and go across all the time. The kids don't have to have passports birth certificates work as well. We have never had an issue bring the kids passports across that were expiring in less then a month. (we also brought there birth certificates if there were questions). I just bring my enhanced drivers license, and my husband only brings his passport card.

A few years ago we went on the Alaskan Cruise (kids had valid passports at the time) and the only issue I had with my enhanced drivers license is that it did not scan and I had to talk to a person. Have a great trip

Last edited:

I just bring my real ID
"REAL ID" is not generally acceptable for crossing the border. Are you sure it isn't an "enhanced driver's license" (which is a REAL ID)? Since you live near the border that's what I'm assuming. Not all states issue "enhanced driver's license" but yes it works like a passport for land crossings. "REAL ID" does not.

OP -- you should be fine as long as the passports are still valid for any length of time (even a day). The odd thing with US/Canada border is that it's not Canada who requires the passport of US citizens to enter Canada, it's actually the US who requires it for the return home.

ETA: if you are flying to Vancouver - check what the airline may require. Technically you should be good but to avoid challenges you might want to make sure the airline won't hassle.

When driving I would look at the wait times for the border crossing. The crossing are close together and a few minute drive can save you from a long line. Peach Arch is the biggest and busiest crossing.
"REAL ID" is not generally acceptable for crossing the border. Are you sure it isn't an "enhanced driver's license" (which is a REAL ID)? Since you live near the border that's what I'm assuming. Not all states issue "enhanced driver's license" but yes it works like a passport for land crossings. "REAL ID" does not.

OP -- you should be fine as long as the passports are still valid for any length of time (even a day). The odd thing with US/Canada border is that it's not Canada who requires the passport of US citizens to enter Canada, it's actually the US who requires it for the return home.
You are correct its a "Enhanced Drivers License" I will correct.

ETA: if you are flying to Vancouver - check what the airline may require. Technically you should be good but to avoid challenges you might want to make sure the airline won't hassle.
Thanks! Just got off the phone with DCL and they said the same thing about length of stay. We're flying into Seattle so airline won't be an issue.

When driving I would look at the wait times for the border crossing. The crossing are close together and a few minute drive can save you from a long line. Peach Arch is the biggest and busiest crossing.

You are correct its a "Enhanced Drivers License" I will correct.
That's good to know about the border crossings - I have the links to the wait times sites saved in my phone, but I haven't gotten around to actually checking where they are in relation to each other.

If you are a US citizen they have to let you back in to the USA. I forgot my kids passports one time and the Canadian border crossing let me through with a photo of the passports and birth certificates. (parenting fail). The US boarder could not believe the other side let me into Canada, but was allowed back into the USA without much of an issue. I would not try that again but both US and Canadian boarder guards said the same thing.

If you are a US citizen they have to let you back in to the USA. I forgot my kids passports one time and the Canadian border crossing let me through with a photo of the passports and birth certificates. (parenting fail). The US boarder could not believe the other side let me into Canada, but was allowed back into the USA without much of an issue. I would not try that again but both US and Canadian boarder guards said the same thing.
We had issues leaving Canada with just a birth certificate with our then 2 year old. And I had done my homework and even had a letter from the Canadian Consulate saying that is all we needed to get in and out of Canada. Canadian Immigration officer said without a photo ID like a Passport, he had no way of knowing this was the child listed on the birth certificate. Lesson learned. As we traveled to Canada with some frequency, we got our son a Passport, and his sister too when she was born. From that point on, no issues. A Passport it the gold standard for leaving and returning to the U.S.

You could also get the "egomaniac" CBP person that we ran into at the Canada Pier who was upset that he had to type the grand kids BC info into the system. That was after he argued with my DIL that the kids had to have passports. When she pulled up the CBP website on her phone he finally lamented. He however made sure we all waited to board since he could only use 1 finger to type.... An absolute "jack wagon"....>:(

You could also get the "egomaniac" CBP person that we ran into at the Canada Pier who was upset that he had to type the grand kids BC info into the system. That was after he argued with my DIL that the kids had to have passports. When she pulled up the CBP website on her phone he finally lamented. He however made sure we all waited to board since he could only use 1 finger to type.... An absolute "jack wagon"....>:(
Yes the boarder guards that we run into run the gamut. We have ran into some real Gems of Jack Wagons. 80% coming back into the states and 20% going into Canada. We now have global entry (for the kids as well) making coming back in MUCH easier.

Yes the boarder guards that we run into run the gamut. We have ran into some real Gems of Jack Wagons. 80% coming back into the states and 20% going into Canada. We now have global entry (for the kids as well) making coming back in MUCH easier.
3 AK DCL cruises and he was the only one who acted that way and we always use the bus from Seattle to Vancouver. The Canadian and US people have always been congenial and expeditious in getting us through.

Canada likes you to visit, but not overstay. As others have said, the passport is a requirement to be let back into the USA. The US Customs agents where surprised that CBP let you in with your documents.

Ugh I'm really sorry to hear that. You do get the border guards (entering any country) that seem to think their job gives them a little power trip.
As a Canadian, we had an incident at the Anaheim airport flying back to Vancouver. The TSA officer kept insisting my kids passports needed to be signed by either myself, my husband or my kids but that is NOT the case with a Canadian passport. Kids CAN sign their own (but that was 2019 when my kids were 10 & 7 and no, they didn't have signatures). If a parent signs a childs Canadian passport that makes the passport invalid, but Mr Smarty Pants kept arguing with me until I pulled out a piece of paper that I had printed from the Canadian govt website that stated just that. He obvs let us through but said something under his breath about it being a stupid rule and I said, not so much under my breath, that it wasn't the rule that was stupid....:rolleyes1

Ugh I'm really sorry to hear that. You do get the border guards (entering any country) that seem to think their job gives them a little power trip.
As a Canadian, we had an incident at the Anaheim airport flying back to Vancouver. The TSA officer kept insisting my kids passports needed to be signed by either myself, my husband or my kids but that is NOT the case with a Canadian passport. Kids CAN sign their own (but that was 2019 when my kids were 10 & 7 and no, they didn't have signatures). If a parent signs a childs Canadian passport that makes the passport invalid, but Mr Smarty Pants kept arguing with me until I pulled out a piece of paper that I had printed from the Canadian govt website that stated just that. He obvs let us through but said something under his breath about it being a stupid rule and I said, not so much under my breath, that it wasn't the rule that was stupid....:rolleyes1

Didn't even have to read your full post to know where that was going. I thought that if the passport didn't have a printed copy of the signature it didn't need one for kids under a certain age.

I think everyone that travels has stories about good and bad people. Last time I flew to Denver I swear the guy wasn't going to let me in. He kept asking more and more questions and tapping my passport. I have no idea what was wrong. I had entered the US without issue in September and November. Never over stayed. Never had issues. And I don't do well under pressure. I finally just showed him my hockey tickets and the like and he relented. Worst was being told I needed an ETIAS to enter the US and an ETA to enter Canada. At least when I did get that sorted the people involved had a laugh.

Just to clarify, it was the US CBP that you go through before getting on the ship. As someone who RV'd for 40 years and crossed the border multiple times, coast to coast, the Can CBP people were never like that.

Just to clarify, it was the US CBP that you go through before getting on the ship. As someone who RV'd for 40 years and crossed the border multiple times, coast to coast, the Can CBP people were never like that.
Oh right, of course it would have been US CBP because you're going to Alaska from Vancouver, d'oh. We've sailed to Alaska 3 times on Disney and never had any issue with the US CBP so I am sorry they gave you such a hassle. Some people just need retraining I think (which can apply to any job really lol).

If I were you, I'd just renew, if you're not in a hardship to do so. I renewed my kids back in January and got them back within four weeks. They didn't expire until next year but we have a cruise we're going on in July and I just didn't want to push it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter