Passholders now have to show app to get any discounts

I had my phone handier than digging around for my card so anytime I showed my digital AP or DVC membership on my phone in Google Pay it was accepted. Never asked for my license or ID with it.

I was there last month and was asked 2x times to pull up app to prove pass was valid. She proceeded to tell me if I went to guest services and get the new 50th AP card they would not ask as they would assume my pass is valid 🤷🏻‍♀️. I’ve had the same AP plastic card for years as when you renew online they do not send a new card. I did get new card and for the rest of trip wasn’t asked to pull it up on phone but with all things Disney it’s hit or miss depending on who you get 🤣

Plastic card for those who don't have a phone. Seems rather easy, no?
Maybe I misunderstood your post, you said you didn’t want people to be forced to show anything. So I was saying the only way that’s possible is to do away with the discounts.

I think printing plastic cards is extremely unnecessary in 2022, because everyone has a phone, but my point was based around being forced to prove you’re a current AP holder.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, you said you didn’t want people to be forced to show anything. So I was saying the only way that’s possible is to do away with the discounts.

I think printing plastic cards is extremely unnecessary in 2022, because everyone has a phone, but my point was based around being forced to prove you’re a current AP holder.
I'm surprised they give people new ones each year. I have a Cedar Fair pass and it's the same one I have had since 2018.

I'm surprised they give people new ones each year. I have a Cedar Fair pass and it's the same one I have had since 2018.
Based on a post above they don’t give them if you renew online, but you can go to guest services to get a new card lol so if they’re already making them why not just have a card printer on site to print your valid dates?

I still think it’s unnecessary, I work at Topgolf and we’re doing away with ours. But even we print them on site at our venue.

when I was there in February I only had the old AP. The girl at the Werther's shop asked me to pull it up on my phone. They take their discounts on caramel popcorn seriously. :rotfl: :rotfl:

She was the only one who asked to see it.

Based on a post above they don’t give them if you renew online, but you can go to guest services to get a new card lol so if they’re already making them why not just have a card printer on site to print your valid dates?

I still think it’s unnecessary, I work at Topgolf and we’re doing away with ours. But even we print them on site at our venue.
Agreed. Majority of parks have an app and they all have your passes stored on them. Its where it's headed eventually.

One thing I'm surprised with is Disney and Universal not going to the cashless trend that many parks are going to now.

You are mistaken. Never said didn’t want no proof. If you read the post my post was in response to you wouldn’t have mistook my post.

I don’t want someone to be forced to show something electronic, to have to buy a smart phone. If you think everyone has a smart phone you are flat out wrong. Majority yes. Never said otherwise. Everyone single human on earth. No. Not even every adult human. I believe there should remain an option for plastic or electronic for those who don’t want electronic for whatever reason. No phone or some other reason. Sure it means they don’t have MDE but you know what, once you’ve made you reservation at home you can survive without it

Last edited:
I was there last month and was asked 2x times to pull up app to prove pass was valid. She proceeded to tell me if I went to guest services and get the new 50th AP card they would not ask as they would assume my pass is valid 🤷🏻‍♀️. I’ve had the same AP plastic card for years as when you renew online they do not send a new card. I did get new card and for the rest of trip wasn’t asked to pull it up on phone but with all things Disney it’s hit or miss depending on who you get 🤣
We are totally opposite. We always renew in person, I always buy a discounted ticket to apply to renewal. So I’ve never not gotten a card so always has to current date. Besides the new cards are so darn cute 🥰

I understand that. My guess is they have seen people use others MB and Pass a lot more then some one else's phone.
I'm betting the rate at which that would be abused is low enough that they should just consider it a write off instead of making their highest paying customers' experiences less enjoyable just to pinch a few pennies.

Not everyone uses a smartphone though. There should at least be an option for plastic cards. Why should it be on the guest to provide these things?

I had my magic mobile all set up before heading to WDW where I am right now. It showed my DVC status including my “Y” for Discount eligibility. To my surprise upon trying to use it for our first restaurant at the Boathouse my DVC status and discount has been stripped off. I immediately tried to login to my DVC account and found I can’t login as it is requesting an activation code. We then headed to Guest Services right after dinner at Disney Springs and they told us to call DVC as they can’t help with the issue. After being on hold for over an hour while on vacation I gave up. Great job Disney…thanks for taking away my Blue Card.

When you show your phone for discounts (assuming I can get the phone to show the current AP status) does the cast member take the phone in their hand? Does the cast member take the phone away somewhere -- even if just to a nearby register. In other words, does the phone come under the control of the cast member?

Because that would concern me -- a lot. On another of my hobby forums, the lady handed her phone to the employee, who took the phone back to a register out of view. Then he accessed some kind of payment transfer system that made cash payment transfers from her bank account to an account he had set up to receive payments (in another name.)

I would rather forego AP discounts than give someone access like that. At least when I hand them cash, there is a limit to the risk.
I doubt the phone leaves your hand. If it's anything like other parks I have visited they just scan the QR code on your phone.

I won't be surprised come the next year or 2 Disney goes cashless like the majority of other parks out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter