Passholders now have to show app to get any discounts

I sent last week an email to the AP team at WDW.

I asked if the rumors I am hearing that AP holders will be required to show a digital version of their AP to receive discounts were true. I also asked what accommodation would be made for the disabled or others who can’t or don’t use a smartphone.

Here is the response I received (which followed an apology for a tardy response):

“Unfortunately, we have not heard anything concrete about the said rumor. Once something is actually presented on the subject we can see what any options would be for those without smartphones.”

I've been here since Monday and have used my annual pass many many times for purchases. Only once was I asked to show my AP status on the app. The rest of the time, I have just shown my AP Card to the cast member and they accept it without question.

I was just at Epcot and Magic Kingdom and stayed at Riverside. We were able to just show the card everywhere and still got the discount. Only place that asked us for the app was a few stores in Disney Springs

I've been using my annual pass almost every day for meal and merchandise discounts and have yet been asked to show my digital pass on my phone. But I have been asked for picture ID a couple of times. Epcot, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian Village Resort, Magic Kingdom, World of Disney @ Disney Springs, Morimoto Asia, etc.

Didn’t read the whole thread but I’m 100% in favor of this. I want everything on my phone. I don’t want to carry anything else around. Keys, license, ID, AP card, anything. I’m at the point where I get angry when a place doesn’t allow me to pay by phone.

The current system is using a Sharpie to write your name on the back of the card. Really?!

Not saying that people should be forced in this direction, but soon, people are going to be forced in this direction.

Didn’t read the whole thread but I’m 100% in favor of this. I want everything on my phone. I don’t want to carry anything else around. Keys, license, ID, AP card, anything. I’m at the point where I get angry when a place doesn’t allow me to pay by phone.

The current system is using a Sharpie to write your name on the back of the card. Really?!

Not saying that people should be forced in this direction, but soon, people are going to be forced in this direction.
My only issue is forcing people to do anything

I’m all for using my phone myself. My choice

I just hate the requirement

I hear you but this was bound to happen. Probably should have long ago. At least they aren’t forcing AND charging like when fast passes went from physical tickets to phone/app/magic band and now cost $15 on top of the change.

All week used AP card for parking toll, dining discount and shopping discount. A couple times at toll they asked for ID, a couple scanned AP and a couple just waived me through. Not one restaurant or shop scanned my AP or asked for ID.

So as usual there is no standard process. :crazy:

I was just there for 10 days. No one asked to see the app. No restaurant even asked to see my ID.

I think if Disney really cared, they'd put scanners at the point of sale, they have the technology.

I was just there for two weeks. ONLY ONCE did a CM ask to see the app for an AP discount, in fact, ONCE a CM wouldn't accept the app and wanted the physical card! Neither time was at a restaurant. We used the AP discount over and over again on MAJOR bills (think 10 people Ohana) without having to show proof. To be clear, we absolutely did have an AP eating with us and paying those bills, but I was shocked at how infrequently we were asked to provide proof of the AP.

I was just there for two weeks. ONLY ONCE did a CM ask to see the app for an AP discount, in fact, ONCE a CM wouldn't accept the app and wanted the physical card! Neither time was at a restaurant. We used the AP discount over and over again on MAJOR bills (think 10 people Ohana) without having to show proof. To be clear, we absolutely did have an AP eating with us and paying those bills, but I was shocked at how infrequently we were asked to provide proof of the AP.
AP Discount is only supposed to apply to 4 people total per AP.

Just an FYI to anyone if they do start checking them and sticking to some processes, this could be an issue.

I haven't been since covid, but i could have sworn that if I paid with my magic band at restaurants, it recognized that I was a passholder and applied the discount. I could be wrong. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Just got back from a 12 day trip. We had to activate our Annual Pass since it was recently renewed. The key was I told them to write the expiration date on the back of card. So everytime I went to the use the discount and was told they need to see it online so they can verify expiration (which happened 3 times), I told them to look at the back of the card that the expiration date was on it. All the CM's accepted the card since it had the expiration date. Hope this helps.

I kind of got a little attitude yesterday at the Canada pavilion because the sharpie is wearing off my pass, when she advised I could use the app I just Commented the card was easier otherwise I could also use the now digital only dvc card...she then recommended I go get a new AP plastic card which I again replied that maybe that's feedback for disney management that if they care so much they can print the info they want on the AP OR scan it like universal...she kind of got silent and gave the 2 dollars off.

On Saturday, it was 50/50 - We didn't have to use the app for parking at HS, but we were asked to show the app for our discount at Brown Derby.

Extremely hit and miss on what proof they want, even before the app request came around.

I've been asked for the app proof once so far - it was yesterday at the Joffrey's stand near Space Mountain. Skipper's didn't even ask for anything - just took my word for it.

Apparently passholders can only get merch or dining discounts with the app only. No longer will you be able to show you passcard and ID.
Where do you even find your AP info digitally?!!!! I’m all over MDE… is it a QR code that’s in your tickets and passes section?

Where do you even find your AP info digitally?!!!! I’m all over MDE… is it a QR code that’s in your tickets and passes section?
It’s either your pass that shows there, or else scroll down farther on that page, tap on My Profile then on Memberships and Passes. Apparently they need to see the expiration date, which is shown both places.

Does anyone know how this effects kids that have an AP but are too young to drive and thus have no drivers license?

My daughter who is 15 has had an annual pass (and may still if i decide to renew). On past trips she could just show the pass but how will it work now? She does have a cell phone so if I grant her access to the MDE account that I have which has the passes she should be able to show that but are they also going to be wanting a license now as well?
This came to my mind too. Only one of our daughters drives, so the other has no ID cards. They both already log into my account to make their own dining ressies (when they do their own thing or when they went on their school fine arts trip to WDW). Guess they'll be using it to show their APs now too. Showing their AP cards was easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter