Party Question

My initial take was that they are providing the hors d’oeuvres/appetizers but would like guests to bring food that others can also share in. But believe it or not, I have been known to be wrong on occasion!

I think a lot of guests will be leaving hungry.
Seriously though, I would either call the host or decline the confusing invite.

I would call the host to clarify what their intent is. I have NO idea what that means from the way it is worded. "Sharing plates" would be an odd thing to say on an invite when you can simply let the guests know the format once you arrive. That isn't something you need to know ahead of time. Like what would you do differently if the invite said shared vs not? Something more clearly stated like 'bring a side-dish to share' would have made the intent much clearer if that is what they intended to say.

Call and ask the host. Then come back and let us all know. 😆

Sadly - even that would be confusing. The "host" is a group of friends/Lodge buddies, meaning the person who actually typed out the invitation is very unlikely to be the same person who agreed to collect the RSVPs, and whose number is listed. :rotfl:

DH bought a cheese and cracker tray before I had time to collect answers here. :rolleyes2 :confused3

He plans to go, but I probably won't. - I'm not a stay-out-late person to begin with, so New Year's Eve is not my favorite holiday, plus we already have another ("floated" Christmas) event the night before that I'd rather put my energy toward...and I know I'm supposed to bring a dessert to that one. :thumbsup2

If I were to glean off the wording and using other's comments I would come to the conclusion they won't be having a whole lot of food. It's not intended to be a meal nor fill up people. Shared plates encouraged in this context makes me believe they hope you'll nibble with someone else thus not taking too much.

Like most people I agree it's confusing and if my above guess is correct they were trying but not really succeeding in trying to find a way to say they don't plan on actually feeding people but didn't want to not have anything.

Someone needs to let these people know they should do a better job of the invitation next time. There shouldn't be this much confusion around it :upsidedow

My initial take on it would be "you're encouraged to bring something to share, but it's not required." Maybe 'shared plate' means like tapas-style (although I think that's usually 'small plate.') You know, something that's small appetizer-like stuff vs a casserole or something. It is a very strange way to word it though. I wonder if someone was trying to make it sound fancier than it is.

Hopefully PollyannasMom's husband will report back after the party.

Sadly - even that would be confusing. The "host" is a group of friends/Lodge buddies, meaning the person who actually typed out the invitation is very unlikely to be the same person who agreed to collect the RSVPs, and whose number is listed.

Likely if you are confused as are many of us on here, then clearly the wording is vague. I would reply to whatever address you were given and let them resolve it with whoever is the 'host'. Whether or not the 'host' is/isn't the one sending the invites or wrote the invitation isn't your issue. That certainly wouldn't prevent me from asking for clarification on something worded poorly. I suspect that many others invited will be replying with the same question. When multiple invitees reply indicating the intent is not clear, then the event organizer will have to get involved to clarify what they are asking.

My assumption would be you are supposed to bring something to share but I would ask for clarification. It is common around here to host a party and have guests bring desserts or appetizers to share so that likely shades my opinion.

We are always explicit with this stuff. "Bring a dessert or appetizer to share" is what we would have stated if that was what was meant.

He plans to go, but I probably won't. - I'm not a stay-out-late person to begin with, so New Year's Eve is not my favorite holiday,

Oh NO! 😲 You do NOT want him sharing a plate with some other woman. 😧 Sharing a plate may lead to sharing a kiss at midnight on NYE. And then. . . You don't even want this to start, and all from sharing a plate. :headache:

;) Just kidding! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter