• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Partially Solo two weeks ago

drp4video

DIS Veteran
My daughter drove down on the bus, 24 hours, with her high school choir, to sing at Epcot for DIsney Musical Days. I opted to fly down and meet up with her when I could. THe choir did not stay on Disney property, but I stayed at Pop Century (have stayed there twice before with my daughter).

I actually arrived before they did, even tho I left a day later, so rather than wait, I text-messaged her that I was on my way to MGM. I rode TT and RNR twice before I hooked up with her and a friend at TT. It was weird being alone at first. We spent the rest of the evening together, and after Fantasmic, went our separate ways.

THe next day was her workshop, so I went to Epcot as they were performing that afternoon. I was getting used to being solo. Did single rider line on Test Track, Spaceship earth, etc..., in the P.m. hooked up with her and her friend, saw her perform then saw illuminations. I was now comfortable being solo.

THe next two days we hooked up when her group would get to the park, but I was always there several hours before them (slow group), so I got to do more.

The best day was the last (4th day). At 5:00 p.m. I said goodbye to her at MGM, and she got on the bus back to Michigan. I drove over to Epcot (rental car), went to the countries, and was able to see Davy Jones of the Monkees perform. I met some very nice people sitting all around me during the concert. Then, I raced over to Soaring, and as it was the AP premier weekend, and I am AP, I rode it 4 times. Awesome! Then I went back to the hotel and had dinner, totally pigging out! I left the next morning.

I admit, it was a little weird being there part of the time without my daughter, as I love sharing things with her, but there were so many great people to talk to in line, and the CM, when they realize you are alone, do chat with you more.

I took a book to meals in the morning, and I suppose it I had been alone all the time, would have carried a book to the parks. But once I got used to being on my own for some of the time, it was not bad.

The only thing was I did feel bad for my daughter that she could not do Soaring because her group was not in Epcot during the premier (they were there the day before), and I was not going to do it and wait till August, but I got over it. :rotfl: How could I pass that up? I guess I would go solo again. I got to do some things that she would not have wanted to do, but I did miss sharing the experience with her. But if it were a choice of going to disney solo, or not going at all because I did not want to go alone, well, ...........put me in coach!

Glad you had such a good time! My last trip was a solo effort, but this next one will be a combination trip like yours.

If you let yourself enjoy it, solo trips can be VERY rewarding!

Congratulations!

N.E.D.

My next trip will somewhat similar to yours. My brother is marching with his hs band, and doing the same trip I took 8 years earlier. Parents and friends are going down too, but I'll be the only one in their 20's so I have a fun feeling I'm going to spend a large part of the trip by myself. Although I don't think it will be that bad. I don't have a problem eating, and going to shows with my parents, which are really the only times I would feel uncomfortable being alone. I'm hoping I can get lucky enough to meet up with someone else about my age, but I am also looking forward to a semi solo trip.

I learned that if you are friendly and talk to people, you will have a great time solo. (or partially solo in my case).

Another perk I had was, that at night I love to read before I go to bed, and ususally my daughter doesn't like the light on and wants to go to sleep. I feel bad, and turn out the light and don't read. Not this trip. I got to eat snacks and read as late as I wanted. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter