Part-Time Wheelchair Use at Disney

Kaii

Earning My Ears
I've been a passholder for about 4 years now and taken many trips down to WDW with my partner over the years. During that time, my dysautonomia and chronic fatigue symptoms have really ramped up. For the last few trips, I've managed by using my cane and taking many, many breaks throughout the day. Even doing that, though, I generally end up having a flair up a couple days after arriving and have difficulty enjoying the rest of the trip.

For our upcoming trip at the end of September, I finally broke down and will be taking a wheelchair. I'm stressing out a good bit since this will be my first time going and using a wheelchair. I'm also pretty self-conscious since I only really require it on a part-time basis. To be honest, I always worry that people will think I'm using it to get "special treatment" since I'm a young adult and only use it some of the time.

I would really appreciate some stories / tips on using a wheelchair part-time at WDW! Knowing what I'm getting into and what to expect will definitively help ease my mind, even just a bit!

Well first off You will not get special treatment since all but maybe 5 rides in all of Disney you go through the standby or if you have an FP then the FP line seconds most people are way too involved in there own vacation to worry what you are doing and third I’d someone says something to you then you can say what my friend said to someone that said she did not look disables so looked at them for a second and said well you do not look stupid so I guess we both hid our disability quite well. You have a great time have you thought about using an ECV, wheelchair are very hard to self-push.

Last edited:
I've been a passholder for about 4 years now and taken many trips down to WDW with my partner over the years. During that time, my dysautonomia and chronic fatigue symptoms have really ramped up. For the last few trips, I've managed by using my cane and taking many, many breaks throughout the day. Even doing that, though, I generally end up having a flair up a couple days after arriving and have difficulty enjoying the rest of the trip.

For our upcoming trip at the end of September, I finally broke down and will be taking a wheelchair. I'm stressing out a good bit since this will be my first time going and using a wheelchair. I'm also pretty self-conscious since I only really require it on a part-time basis. To be honest, I always worry that people will think I'm using it to get "special treatment" since I'm a young adult and only use it some of the time.

I would really appreciate some stories / tips on using a wheelchair part-time at WDW! Knowing what I'm getting into and what to expect will definitively help ease my mind, even just a bit!

What @gap2368 said.

There are SO many folks at WDW with personal mobility devices of one kind or another; you with a wheelchair is a non-event, I promise.

Many people in this neck of the woods have been known to use a wheelchair "part time" - riding for a while, and then using it like a walker and pushing it empty for a while. Others will use it to cover longer distances, but then park it in a central area and go do some rides, shows or attractions in that area, then use it to go on to another part of the Park.

As @gap2368 alluded to, remember that the average person walks between 3 & 10 miles *per day* at WDW. Given your CFS alone, I would presume that unless you are a full-time chair user at home, you may not have the stamina to cover near that amount of ground. And, if you did make it through the first day, the next morning your arms and shoulders would be wrecked. If your partner can't push you (bring some cheap, lightweight golf or biking gloves from Wal-Mart or Target to help prevent blisters for the "pusher") then I would strongly encourage you to rent an ECV for the length of stay. Most of the Disney Resorts are HUGE, and you can easily cover ½ mile of distance just from the front of a theme park to the bus line at the end of the night.

We have tons of tips for you if you are worried about using an ECV, and while I own my own, lots of folks here have good rental experiences/recommendations to share. An ECV will give you the freedom to do exactly what you want, when you want. The rental units I am talking about are not at all like the giant, wheezing beasts that you see at Walmart, Target, or the other big box stores; they are far more nimble (and speedy!) than the grocery store loaners. You will be able to do almost everything you want to - including getting your own food/drinks, running to the Resort shop if you need (or want to) buy something, and more - without worrying about running out of steam. You will be independent in a way that you may not have experienced for some time, and for me (as well as many others here) the first time you use an ECV at WDW, it was an eye-opener.

Regardless of what you decide to do, I hope that your next trip is *much* more enjoyable, and you find yourself at the end o the vacation rested and happy with lots of great new memories! :)

If you’re going to be self-propelling yourself in your chair, a couple of tips:

1. Bring gloves. You can find weight lifting gloves at any sporting goods store or at Walmart or Target. You can also find “Wheelchair gloves” at any specialty store online or on Amazon. The gloves below are what I use. (Found on Amazon.)5C796868-BF03-48B5-983F-84BADC826074.jpeg
  2. BEWARE OF HILLS! (The “Hill” in between England and France is infamous for this.) Some hills in Disney are extremely steep and treacherous to climb. If you are pushing yourself or somebody else is pushing you, they will have a workout. Even people that walk say hills are the bane of Disney World.
  3. If you’re taking your own private wheelchair, buy/rent one that you’re comfortable with. If you’re going to be pushing yourself in it, make sure that the chair has features that’ll make it efficient for you to maneuver. I wouldn’t say go get an ultralight wheelchair (some of those can be expensive, I’m looking at you, TiLite.), but get one that is easy to use. If the armrests impede your ability to push yourself, get a chair that has REMOVABLE ARMRESTS. Or if you need a chair that has legrests that go up and down, look for a chair that has Elevating Legrests.
Those are my tips at least.

I had to break down and bring a wheel chair last year. I purchased a 15lb fold up chair. Getting on the bus was easy. Quick pull up handle and it worked great. I ended up using it more like a walker then a wheel chair. But it helped knowing I could sit and be pushed if needed❤️The only nasty looks we revived was when the grandchild got tired she would sit in it. She was at that age, small yet to big for a stroller. She loved it When she would jump up to stand We received lots of nasty looks. Don't worry what other people think, this is your vacation do what makes life easier. Going back next month and hoping the same chair works again. Things have progressed with my dystonia and my kids r trying to talk me it to something bigger. If I must then so be it :moped::flower3:

Remember, you have options; since, you are not 100% dependent on a wheelchair. You can use Disney transportation being in the wheelchair or not. The same holds true with the rides and shows.

If your partner is willing to push that can help as the day goes on. You will last longer in the parks that way.

Thank you all so much for your input!! I very much appreciate it! :)

I've been seriously considering using an ECV for at least a portion of the trip because of how terrible the hills seem. In preparation for the trip, I've been trying to get out a bit more with my chair but I still foresee the long distances and hills to be a challenge. I'm very fortunate that my partner is abled bodied and more than willing to push me around when needed. But I'm still compiling the ECV rental information just in case!

I'll be taking my own lightweight chair (quickie) so I'm relatively comfortable using it, just not in the Disney environment (extended use, hills, and crowds). I'll definitively have to bring my gloves! I can't imagine trying to go for that long without them! I also really like the idea of use my chair as a walker, when needed. I had considered bringing my rollator as well but that eliminates the need for more clunky equipment.

check out Disney POTSies on facebook. There are some great tips for dysautonomia. My daughter has two forms of dysautonomia- POTS and IST. SHe used a wheelchair the last day of our trip. Get a DAS , if you need one. Just be prepared on why you can not stand in the regular line. Mobility issues do not count.

Yeah, when I used aanual wheelchair I was really surprised at the number of hills, steep ramps, and patches of uneven/rough paving I had never noticed before! I ended up calling the rental company to switch to an ecv after one day. Luckily the company made it very easy!

(Of course, the main difference between your situation and mine is that it sounds like you've used a manual wheelchair outside of the park much more than I had!)

I also looked a lot younger and healthier then I really was at the time, and at the beginning I felt self-conscious, too. But being at the parks feels so great and there's so much to distract you that I completely stopped thinking about it really soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter