• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PART THREE of Liav and Jody's Trip Report!

jodyb

DIS Veteran
Liav and Jody's Excellent DLP Adventure 2005 Part 3

Cast:
Liav (13)
Jody (Old enough to be her Mom...)

Part 3 – Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2005

Our last day in Castle Club… sigh….
I was up at 7 AM and waited impatiently for Liav to stir so we could be at breakfast right at 7:30. On the way to the lounge we noticed that all the Christmas decorations in the Castle Club and in the Main Street lounge below were still intact! (And the trees and other decorations were lighted, so they retained all their beauty)

f561e4c9.jpg

We took our favorite table by the window and gazed out at the castle…. The Christmas lights arch over Main Street was STILL THERE! However today the main Christmas tree was gone.

I opened the window at 7:45 when the lights of the park went on – I love hearing the Main Street music while eating breakfast!! Dawn fully broke at a little after 8, and when the castle came into full view we took some last photos from the lounge.

f561e4cb.jpg

You can see in the above photo that the white arches of the lights of winter sort of obstruct the view of Main Street...

f561e2bd.jpg

We loved watching and listening from the CC lounge as the train pulled in and out of Main Street Station.

We took our time enjoying the donuts, excellent coffee, eggs, and sausages – we ended up sitting around until about 9 AM. There is no hurry to get from breakfast to the park when you feel like you are already IN the park eating breakfast!! 

Now, those of you who followed my plans before this trip know I agonized over how (and if) to divide our 7 nights at DLP between Disneyland Hotel and Sequoia lodge! We stayed 7 nights at SL last year and knew we liked it, but it was our DREAM to stay at DLH… especially CC… and in the end I decided to go for it and take CC for the first two nights followed by 5 at SL….

I knew check-out time was 11 AM, so reluctantly we went back to the room to pack up. At about 10 we were all set, and I went to the CC reception to check out. Here I received a nice surprise! We were told to leave our luggage in the room, and during the day it would be sent to Sequoia Lodge for us and delivered directly to our room there after 3 PM. AND – we were issued a special key to Castle Club – good for the rest of that day and evening! We were invited to continue using the lounge for free drinks during the day and for the tea spread that afternoon! I left our passports, plane tickets, etc. which I'd been keeping in the room safe, with the CM at CC Reception, rather than take them to the parks – we would pick it up after tea, and we left our bags in the room. It was nice to know we'd still be back, and we went cheerfully off to the Studios!

Before I go on with today's report, I'm going to digress to talk about my impressions about Castle Club.

First of all, the Disneyland Hotel, in general, is a truly lovely hotel. It holds to it's "theme" absolutely impeccably, and Liav and I kept saying over and over that we felt like princesses. The hotel is spotlessly clean, the service is wonderful, and everyone we came into contact with was friendly and extremely willing to help with anything. Officially, I paid for Sunday from 3 PM until Tuesday until 11 AM. In reality, however, we were pampered by Castle Club from Sunday 7 AM until Tuesday 6 PM. We were received as full members of Castle Club even though we arrived 8 hours before official check-in time, and were given a full breakfast and lounge privileges (and a room, although this of course was subject to availability) that first day as well as the surprising addition of the extra day AFTER check-out! Nobody in CC ever has to handle a piece of luggage. There is always a CM in attendance at the CC reception, never a queue to deal with, and all of the CM's we met wore sincere smiles and spoke excellent English.

We LOVED Castle Club, and can't wait to get back there for another opportunity. So don't take what I'm going to say now as "criticism" – it isn't. It's going to be a comparison, but with the understanding that everything has pros and cons – and just for information – not to convince anyone of anything.

In 2001, Liav and I stayed at the Yacht Club in WDW, along with my sister and her family, and my Mom. It was "100 Years of Magic" – corresponding with what would have been Walt Disney's 100th birthday. We decided to splurge that year and all stayed on the Concierge floor of the Yacht Club. This is considered premier accommodation at WDW (just in case you have any doubt – Michael Eisner was in the suite at the end of our hall – we met him numerous times in the concierge lounge… but that's another story not for this trip report – let me know if you are interested…).

The rooms at Yacht Club sleep up to five. They are similar in size to the DLH rooms, but include a "day bed". The Concierge lounge serves food ALL DAY. And lots of it. Cakes, hot and cold snacks, sandwiches, and interesting tidbits etc, are always available, and liqueors and wine are available in the evening.
They always had special things out for the children – and lots of candy, popcorn, etc. Everything in the lounge was self-service buffet but CM's were always available for special requests. The lounge was small but comfortable and cozy – couches and coffee tables rather than dining tables – and had a "view" overlooking the parking lot in front of the hotel!

Castle club, in contrast, has a larger lounge, set up much more formally with only dining tables with white cloths, and a view of Main Street to the castle. Food is only available for breakfast (until 11) and at tea time (4 PM until the cakes are gone – usually about 5). Beverages are available all the time however, but they are served at table in small glasses – at WDW we could take the cans and bottles with us to the room or to the park – in fact we'd stock up on bottles of mineral water in the morning to take with us. At CC this is not allowed.

All in all, the atmosphere at the CC lounge is far better than at Yacht Club Concierge. It's quiet, restful, and have I mentioned the VIEW OF MAIN STREET TO THE CASTLE???  Also, I feel the service at CC is just a cut above WDW. We were truly made to feel special, and they went that extra mile to have the room ready for us at 7 AM, and to invite us back for tea on check-out day (can you tell that impressed me?)… and while I don't know this for sure, my feeling is this would not have happened at Yacht Club.

Now, having said all that – the price at CC is more than twice the price at Yacht Club Concierge. Yes, more than a 100% difference! I'm not sure why this is so… does anyone have any idea why the DLH would have so much higher overhead than Yacht Club?

I'm sure I'm forgetting some detail of the comparison that I meant to include, so if anyone has questions, please don't hesitate.

So – It's now 11 AM Tuesday morning, and though we've checked out of CC… we'll be back… stay tuned.

(also – pictures are coming that should have been included in first two installments– promise)

:flower1: :flower1: :D :flower1:

Jody
thank you for the final day of CC. Have never been to WDW so I can't compare. CC does sound expensive, but I think reading your report it would be worth the experience - if only once :)

It will be interesting to read how you felt when you located to Sequoia.

Reid

Reid, you responded quickly - you might have missed the edited version of this report - I actually got my act together and posted some pictures! I'm so proud of myself it's sickening! So please have another look...
:Pinkbounc

On-line at the same time. It is only 10.30am here as well :)

Sorry but I can only see red crosses on the post :guilty:

Reid

Hi again Reid! I'm 2 hours ahead of you - it's almost 1 PM here. The Americans are safe in their beds still aren't they? :D

Can't see the pictures? :sad2:

They are coming through for me... I wonder what's wrong?
Hopefully someone very savvy will peak in on this thread and help....

:flower1:

HI Laura!

Gee, and i thought I was so clever... I wonder why they come through so nicely for me when I look at my post on the board... ???
:confused:

Jody

no doubt the early birds from across the pond will be joining us soon :)

Come on techies - I can see Laura's pictures but only get red crosses where Jody's pictures should be. Stomps off in huff until I get the pictures :rockband:

Reid :)

jodyb said:
HI Laura!
Gee, and i thought I was so clever... I wonder why they come through so nicely for me when I look at my post on the board... ???
:confused:

I am not Laura (GRUMP) I am DGH.
Laura is working now.

grumpy.gif

GRUMP

You can see the picture because you are the "owner" of the pictures.
Ofoto doesn't allows that "external" people access to them
Grump

Hi Jody!

Another brilliant report. I am loving the idea of Castle Club but you are right it is very expensive. However the view and the music of Main Stereet while eating my breakfast may prove too much to resist!!

Unfortunately I can't see your photos either. I upload mine to www.Imagestation.com (free) and have no problems linking them to my Trip Reports (well, I had all sorts of problems but that was just me being a technophone, LOL)

I would love to hear about Michael Eisner.

Anyone see pictures now?? I have transfered just these 3 images (meanwhile) to imagestation.com as suggested. I'll put the rest of my pictures there later if this worked!
Thanks everyone!
:Pinkbounc

GRUMP!! :D :flower1: :D :flower1:

Thanks to you the rest of my reports will have pictures! And of course your explanation makes sense - only *I* can see the pictures! silly me - sorry everyone. But at least I've got it now!

THANK YOU DGH!!

:jumping4:

Those pictures are really interesting Jody - I could never work out how you could get a good view of the park from there but you obviously can!! Love the one of the railroad too. I'd never spend that sort of money on accommodation but it's interesting to experience it vicariously!!

DGH - you sound great - does that give you the grumps too???

Thanks for the report!

Well, until shortly, yes, the Americans were safe in their beds, dreaming of Disney. :cloud9: But now we're gearing up for a snow storm that's supposed to hit!

This may be the last vacation DH and I can take for a while, so we're splurging on a trip to Paris and DLP at the Castle Club. DH was reluctant for CC, as we once got upgraded to Congierge at the Yacht Club (we were paying normal garden view, aka NO real view, room prices), and our agreement was that YC Concierge, even with a discount, was NOT worth so much more than a regular room.

BUT, since who knows when we'll get to go on another trip, I pushed him over, and CC here we come! :cool1: Once in a lifetime for us, and I think we'll enjoy it. I think breakfast and afternoon tea will be all we really need, although it sounds like you really need to be at the afternoon tea right when it begins. I'm almost picturing everyone grabbing the cakes right away! We plan to visit a lot of sit-down restaurants (even if we just order appetizers or share an entree at some of them). Thanks for the info!

Well, if you only look at it money-wise, then I'm afraid CC isn't really "worth it", but as I said, in comparison with YC Concierge - you have a LOT more magic - being literally right on top of the park, the VIP Fastpasses (which I neglected to mention in my comparison by the way), and the whole atmosphere of the Disneyland Hotel, which IMHO is far nicer than the YC...
I think you will have a fantastic time - I am looking forward to YOUR report!

As for the tea, there was absolutely NO grabbing, at least that I saw... everyone at CC was on their best behavior when we were there. Most of the guests were from UK, a few from Germany and Holland. They did not refurbish the trays of cakes, but there did seem to be enough for anyone arriving between 4 and 4:45 or so.

I'm so pleased I can see your pictures now Jody. All I can say is wow and wow!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter