• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Part III...7 Days at HRH, guess what we did!

Sherrilatte

Bad to the Bone
Part III...During our vacation at HRH/US, we decided to take advantage of some leftover hopper passes from 1997 at WDW. After we spent Wed & Fri. at US/IOA, we leased a car over at Portofino (sooo convenient) and went to MGM on Friday, back to IOA/US on Saturday, DQ on Sat night, Animal Kingdom and MK on Sunday and spent a relaxing day at the resort on Monday. I did want to say a little more about US before I moved on to WDW.. The US parks were a lot more crowded on the weekend, but it really didn’t matter with FOTL. We more or less breezed pass the long hot lines. I wanted to mention that we ate lunch on Saturday at a wonderful Italian restaurant in US. I’m sorry I don’t remember the name, but its theme is a mom /pop pizzeria and deli which served pizza, lasagna and the usual italian fare. The desserts looked very luscious, even though we opted not to have any. I had the vegetarian pizza and a small caesar salad--it was very good. It was fresh baked, the ingredients were fresh and the crust was light and delicious, not doughy or tough. I try not to eat meat or filling foods when I’m out in hot humid weather. Being from Arkansas, this is the climate of our state pretty much the whole summer, but not quite as extreme as Florida. Of course this does not hold true for my son, he had the meatball sub. He said it was good, but just in the fact that he finished it I know he enjoyed his lunch. Service at this eatery was cafeteria style, but its deli theme and the chance to get out of the heat and sitting in cool air-conditioning without going to a full service restaurant was also appealing. To visit this eatery, if you follow a path from MIB, then Amityville, then Earthquake, it is a little ways from the Earthquake attraction en route but right before you reach Twister; if my memory serves me correctly...on to WDW.

MGM: We arrived at the park at 10am after having a unhurried breakfast by the pool from the fare at the Sunset Grill. Their fruit cups and coffee was great, but my son had two pastries and said he has had better. He was not care for it, because he did not finish it. At the park, this was our first time using fastpass and it worked like a charm. We did Aerosmith roller coaster twice that day (my personal favorite) and Tower of Terror (3 times). But after doing the AR and ToT once along with Star Tours and strolling around, we went to the Brown Derby. Again I had made reservations, but we were an hour late. Believe me, this not normally the case in my real life, but I didn’t want to add stress to our vacation by clock watching. The Brown Derby seated us with no problem or wait. We both had the Coconut Shrimp Skewers with ginger beet noodles and an east-west dipping sauce. The dipping sauce had quite a bit of curry, so if your not fond of this spice, I would ask for a substitute. I had the Cobb salad without bacon. Even though this was the signature dish for the DB, I did not care for it. The ingredients were chopped up too much as to the point of being grainy. It was not awful, but definitely not my favorite meal. I could not finish it. My son had the Barbequed Chicken Salad with Asiago Cheese and lavosh cracker and specialty drink with was served in a large fluted glass with seltzer apple bitter and other fruity ingredients. He had two and really loved it..I sorry I don’t remember the name. Also, since he wears braces, he had a difficult time with lavosh crackers, but the salad was good. Of course, I had to try it!... He didn’t want any of mine, he jokingly said that looked as if I had already chewed it. And I sorta agree...Service was good, but apparently everyone our server had were returned guests, so when he asked us had we visited before and we said no, he roboticly said “Glad to have you back.” He was quite embarrassed with his slip of the tongue, and noticeably went out of his way to make our meal pleasant. I wish I could remember his name. We came in around 1:30pm which was right after the lunch crowd so we were very understanding of his slip. After lunch, we collected our fastpasses for ToT and AR and hit the shows. First was Indiana Jones, then back on ToT and Aerosmith and then to Muppet show (now you can see how I lost weight!). But before we headed back to the Muppet show, we had a large lemon freeze over by the ToT at a covered pavilion while we watched people move back and forth in rain. Of course we could not escape the park without my son visiting the arcade at Toy Story Pizza Planet restaurant. He loved the games there, but in particular he liked this little booth that allowed you to play the drums to your favorite song. At first he was sorta timid about trying then after couple of sets of Britney Spears, he another teen boy had built up the nerve to try and play drums. He did this twice and quickly made friends with little gathering around this attraction. After watching them in the background for a while. I found a little bakery not too far away, got a brownie and italian ice and sat out on the patio and watched the people go by. After he had his fill of the arcade, we did ToT one more time (fastpass) and headed back to HRH. We ate dinner at the Sunset Grill that evening after a rest. I had the seared tuna with plum butter sauce and basmati rice (yummy) and my son had the macaroni and cheese. He hated it. He said it tasted like rubber–remember, this is a kid who loves Kraft though... I think he just didn’t like the taste of tillamook cheese, because I took a bite and it tasted delicious. We went swimming that evening then off to bed....Part IV will be about the other WDW adventures meshed with Universal and it is on the way and it should be quicker that this part...;) Along forget any boo-boo's in my post.

Sherrilatte thanks for the great reports. We leave for a week at HRH on 7/14 I can't wait.
Riverview :smooth: :bounce: :p :bounce: :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter