Part 1 - My solo TR at BWV!!! (and Magic & Merriment Event)

DeeCee735

"How Do You Know of the Key?"
Hi everyone! I haven't written a TR in the last few trips, but being that this was my very first solo trip, I think I'd like to share :goodvibes
Due to Sandy, my husband could not leave work so he had to cancel the trip we were supposed to take together. He encouraged me to go, knowing being there is my favorite thing to do and that I really needed it!:rolleyes:
As well as having a pre-paid ticket to the Magic & Merriment D23 event, of which I am a member. So without further adue, here's part 1 of TR:

Traveller: Just one :) me!
When: Saturday, December 8th - Tuesday December 11th
Where: BWV!!! Garden View Studio (originally AKV, more on that later)
Why: As DVCer's, do we really need a reason!:cool1: you all already know!:cool1:

Okay, travelled by myself, I know alot of people are in their comfort zone doing so, for work reasons, or to visit family, etc, but I have never travelled alone in my life so this truly was a first. I did great though, being in my comfort zone with Jetblue, MCO, ME, BWV, Disney in general:cheer2:Hooray for me:cheer2:
Did online check in day before. First, I was booked at AKV, I really wanted BWV but it was booked up and I checked every day for months without success, until....the very day before! A garden/pool view studio opened up at 9:00 am the day before for all of my three nights. pixiedust: Magic #1

I put a request to be close to the lobby as I was a woman alone and didn't want to deal with the long hallways, especially late at night (one of the events for Magic and Merriment got me back to resort after 11 pm)
So upon arrival, there was a CM greeting me, asking me if I did online check in, I said yes, he looked up my name on the list and invited to sit and relax in the lobby while he retrieved my room key and welcome packet. It was 3:00 pm and my room was ready! Magic #2
Not only was it ready, but my request was met and I was close to the lobby. Magic #3 Room was a studio in excellent and immaculate condition. I was very happy. I unpacked, and ran down to the bakery to pick up my carrot cake for the next morning:rolleyes:(it's vacation after all!), and some food items that I would need.

Then I thought, "okay, now what????", feeling alittle guilty for leaving my family (adult children and working husband - and doggie) and alittle lonely. I pushed myself to get up and go and spent a magical, amazing, would do it again in a heartbeat, afternoon and evening in MK! No one rushing me, no one complaining they are hot or tired or don't want to be in the crowds! I checked out the New Fantasyland, rode Pirates, rode Space Mountain, ate a burger in the Plaza (just okay, but good service), watched the light parade curbside and in it's entirety! Watched the projection show on the castle standing smack dab in the middle of Main Street! It was amazing! Then I watched Wishes, also in its entirety (I'm usually rushed out before the ending when I'm with others)! It was a gorgeous, warm, clear and wonderful night. And just the kind of day I so needed:goodvibes

Part 2/Day 2 to follow:

:goodvibesDay 2: Magic & Merriment event begins:

Okay, so I'm up early and arrived early at check in for this event - 9 a.m. for a 9:30 check in time. We had to be in Epcot at the WorldCase building, which is between Canada and England. Being early, I ran over to TestTrack with the intention of getting a fast pass, but being alone, I got on the single rider line and rode the new test track, which is the same, but so much better :goodvibes so maybe not really the same!:rolleyes:

Then back to my event. I met a very nice young woman who also travelled alone, specifically for the event. We made fast friends and spent the event things together. Which was Magic #4! A fellow Disney geek, a very nice person and fun to boot! A win win situation.

After the event, which was just the morning and re-convened in the evening, leaving us with the afternoon to ourselves, I went over to my lunch reservation at France:cool1: This is a restaurant I always wanted to try, but was never with anyone who wanted to try it as well. Chefs de France. I had a delicious glass of pinot blanc, yum, good service by a nice young man from France who really wants to visit NYC, and whom I encouraged to do so, if possible. I ordered the chicken florentine crepe. It was okay. Presentation was terrible, a tan crepe on a white plate and that's it! I feel there should have been some more flavor and more spinach. But okay, I tried it. I'd go back, but I'd order the baked mac and cheese and see if I like the way they make it :scratchin

Being that I had the afternoon to myself, I went and made a spa reservation at the Mandara Spa in the Dolphin. They had a special, 3 1/2 hour treatments for $129! I grabbed an afternoon appointment and am so happy I did:cheer2::cheer2: GREAT treatments, 1/2 hour back hot stone massage, 1/2 hot stone foot massage, and 1/2 hour basic facial. I love this spa and can't wait to go back!

Headed to my room to shower and change, then to ESPN for a salad and I tried a beer I never had - a Sam Adams Blackberry. I really liked both my meal and my beer. Then headed back to EPCOT for part two of our event happenings, which included reserved seating for Candlelight, met up with my friend. Candlelight was wonderful under pretty skies and nice comfortable evening. Then we all headed over to the balconies outside the Italy Pavillion for a private dessert party and private reserved viewing (in the same place) for Illuminations, which was a holiday Illuminations and absolutely breathtaking! Magic #5!

Afterwards, I walked "home" and got a great night sleep as the next day was also event happenings starting early in the a.m. at the MK.

Part 3/Day 3 of TR to follow:

Day 3: Up at a ridiculously early hour and at the MK bus stop at BWV before they even starting running! Had to be at the MK gates at 7:45. It was a very foggy humid morning, but I had a smile on my face. Family was doing well at home, everyone was busy with their own schedules, and all were happy that I was doing my thing, so that was a great thought to start my day with :goodvibes

Got to the gates on time, met up with my friend, talked to alot of people in the event. Really enjoying meeting everyone. We had a private hot buffet breakfast in Columbia Harbor House and then we did a scavenger hunt around MK til 1:00 pm. I wasn't sure about this to begin with, but really had fun with it. 1) I teamed up with my friend so that was lots of fun, and 2) the hunt really makes you look at places and things you don't usually notice.

We also rode Pirates just for fun and took another look around the New Fantasyland. It was very crowded so we skipped waiting online for Ariel ride and Belles Cottage.

I actually went back to my room and relaxed all afternoon, enjoying the room and a nice long nap, and good cup of coffee (I bring my own :rolleyes: just sayin)

Then I headed over to DHS for our event evening. Meeting up with the people I had gotten friendly with and enjoying the events, which included a private hot buffet dinner on the stage of Indiana Jones Stunt Show and visits by Goofy & Donald! Ending with a private viewing of the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights. I loved all of it! Said good bye to my friend, and hoping to see her in the future sometime, and headed back home for a good night sleep. I had to leave the next day!:sad1:

I can't believe how fast this went! I can't wait to go back with my family and friends!

The following and last morning, I booked a reservation for breakfast at Kouzzina on the BWV. I think the servers thought I was a food critic, eating alone and all!:goodvibes Service was fantastic and the food delicious. It's one of my favorite places for breakfast. I shopped on the BW alittle, relaxed on the porch and read, and then headed over to the bus for ME pick up to bring me home!

Thanks for reading my rather long report. I hope you liked it! See you on the boards!

Hi everyone! I haven't written a TR in the last few trips, but being that this was my very first solo trip, I think I'd like to share :goodvibes
Due to Sandy, my husband could not leave work so he had to cancel the trip we were supposed to take together. He encouraged me to go, knowing being there is my favorite thing to do and that I really needed it!:rolleyes:
As well as having a pre-paid ticket to the Magic & Merriment D23 event, of which I am a member. So without further adue, here's part 1 of TR:

Traveller: Just one :) me!
When: Saturday, December 8th - Tuesday December 11th
Where: BWV!!! Garden View Studio (originally AKV, more on that later)
Why: As DVCer's, do we really need a reason!:cool1: you all already know!:cool1:

Okay, travelled by myself, I know alot of people are in their comfort zone doing so, for work reasons, or to visit family, etc, but I have never travelled alone in my life so this truly was a first. I did great though, being in my comfort zone with Jetblue, MCO, ME, BWV, Disney in general:cheer2:Hooray for me:cheer2:
Did online check in day before. First, I was booked at AKV, I really wanted BWV but it was booked up and I checked every day for months without success, until....the very day before! A garden/pool view studio opened up at 9:00 am the day before for all of my three nights. pixiedust: Magic #1

I put a request to be close to the lobby as I was a woman alone and didn't want to deal with the long hallways, especially late at night (one of the events for Magic and Merriment got me back to resort after 11 pm)
So upon arrival, there was a CM greeting me, asking me if I did online check in, I said yes, he looked up my name on the list and invited to sit and relax in the lobby while he retrieved my room key and welcome packet. It was 3:00 pm and my room was ready! Magic #2
Not only was it ready, but my request was met and I was close to the lobby. Magic #3 Room was a studio in excellent and immaculate condition. I was very happy. I unpacked, and ran down to the bakery to pick up my carrot cake for the next morning:rolleyes:(it's vacation after all!), and some food items that I would need.

Then I thought, "okay, now what????", feeling alittle guilty for leaving my family (adult children and working husband - and doggie) and alittle lonely. I pushed myself to get up and go and spent a magical, amazing, would do it again in a heartbeat, afternoon and evening in MK! No one rushing me, no one complaining they are hot or tired or don't want to be in the crowds! I checked out the New Fantasyland, rode Pirates, rode Space Mountain, ate a burger in the Plaza (just okay, but good service), watched the light parade curbside and in it's entirety! Watched the projection show on the castle standing smack dab in the middle of Main Street! It was amazing! Then I watched Wishes, also in its entirety (I'm usually rushed out before the ending when I'm with others)! It was a gorgeous, warm, clear and wonderful night. And just the kind of day I so needed:goodvibes

Part 2/Day 2 to follow:

Sounds great! And I think you had a perfectly normal breakfast-I admit to bakery food as my primary source for breakfast. And kudos to your DH for encouraging you to go without him. Around here, SO many husbands don't seem comfortable with their wives going on vacation without them, and my DH has gotten a reputation of sorts for so many times responding "Oh, my wife's at WDW again" and coworkers look aghast, "You let her go without you?"
LOL about you being thought of as a food critic. I often get mistaken for a Disney employee (I wish!) and once was even asked for my card for the employees discount. And one time I had a very angry man approach me to tell me why he and his family were so upset. I could barely get a word in edgewise to tell him who I wasn't.
So, in retrospect are you glad that you stayed at BWV instead of AKV?
Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Sounds great! And I think you had a perfectly normal breakfast-I admit to bakery food as my primary source for breakfast. And kudos to your DH for encouraging you to go without him. Around here, SO many husbands don't seem comfortable with their wives going on vacation without them, and my DH has gotten a reputation of sorts for so many times responding "Oh, my wife's at WDW again" and coworkers look aghast, "You let her go without you?"
LOL about you being thought of as a food critic. I often get mistaken for a Disney employee (I wish!) and once was even asked for my card for the employees discount. And one time I had a very angry man approach me to tell me why he and his family were so upset. I could barely get a word in edgewise to tell him who I wasn't.
So, in retrospect are you glad that you stayed at BWV instead of AKV?
Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Hi there! Thanks for reading my TR! Yes my husband is awesome about encouraging me to do the things that are important to me and that includes a social life and Disney! He works a lot and while he is always my first choice of company, that's just not realistic with our opposite schedules.
That being said, Disney is the only place I'm comfortable traveling to alone.

Yes, I really loved being at BWV over AKV this trip. They are both our home resorts and our two favorites for very different reasons, but this time for this trip and the magic and merriment event BWV made it much easier coming and going for the events. I look forward to returning ASAP!

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. Glad you had a great time!
It is 3 months until our next trip and every TR helps...

By the way what is Magic and Merriment?

Hi. Magic and Merriment was an event that was held by D23, which is the official Disney Fan Club. I do believe that now a free membership is being offered to DVC members, but don't quote me on that. I renewed my membership a few months ago.

The website is D23.com

Have a GREAT TRIP and Happy Holidays!

Solo trips are amazing and I am so glad that you enjoyed yours. I think there may be more in your future! Absolutely LOVE the freedom. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter