Parks with elderly/mobility compromised parents

The_Duchess

Earning My Ears
My parents, 73 and 75 are going with us to Universal this fall. My dad has terrible sciatica, and my mom, bad knees on both legs. They walk ok 50% of the time, but the standing is awfully hard on both of them. When waiting in lines, is it possible for them to sit and then join us when we get close to the ride? Or, sit up near the front and wait for us to reach them? Are there any kind of allowances for seniors?
Not trying to offend or "get away" with anything, just trying to anticipate the best scenarios for them. Thank you :)

They have a disability pass you can use, that shortens the time in line. You can get it at any guest service desk. Explain the situation, and they will issue you that pass for your family. I hope your parents enjoy the parks.

Also, there are wheelchairs and scooters available to rent, if they need such. There are also places to sit and relax all over the parks.

I would not think it would look nice for them to join you later in line, and some lines have no where you can sit. Lean on something maybe, but not always. And some lines, like Hagrid’s is very long. Having the disability pass will also help you lessen even the length of the line, as with Hagrid’s, you enter with the disability pass much closer to the ride, bypassing the full length of its very long line length.

Hth

There are no real opportunities to join a party already in line. And much of the line is often inside a building.

You might consider renting a wheelchair. In the Florida parks, almost all lines accommodate wheelchairs, and there are procedures in place for those few that don’t, excepting the People Mover (wheelchairs and other wheeled devices are not welcome on the ramp to the loading/unloading area- if you can stand/walk a few feet, you can park at the bottom).

Additionally, Disney has removed quite a bit of seating. Having a wheelchair guarantees a seat.

They can be rented for the day in all major parks and Disney Springs or from several offsite vendors.

I took my elderly parents. (Upper 80’s)We rented wheelchairs off site. This was for Disney not universal as my dad cannot do much at universal with his bad back. Most likely universal won’t issue a disability pass for this as the parks expect you to use a wheelchair but it doesn’t hurt to ask. My dad stayed in the chair most of the time and for most rides (again at Disney). But my mom could walk more and we often had the empty wheelchair with us while she walked but it was available when she was tired or when we moved across the park as she walks quite slow and could bottle neck crowded areas. It is no joke pushing wheelchairs in a park. Pushing my dad all the time was physically and mentally exhausting because you have to be so careful not to hit people in front of you or who walk right in front of the chair as if you aren’t even there. We put foam wraps on the handles of the chair because the plastic grips actually hurt your hands after a time. I had a little foam bendy hook from Amazon to wrap around my dad’s cane and hang it on the back of the seat so it was there but out of the way. I also bought a seat cushion that was 4 inches thick so he could get out of the chair and be comfortable in it. My mom didn’t need those extras since she did walk a lot and isn’t as physically deconditioned like my dad. It was a hard trip but absolutely the best and I have no regrets at all. Anyway just some info on taking the parents to theme parks for you

The disability passes in the Florida parks are not for mobility needs. The expectation is that those with those needs will rent wheelchairs or scooters to help them navigate the parks. So, you may want to discuss with your parents pursuing that option b/c it is totally normal for normally mobile folks to need to rely on these devices to traverse the parks.

My father had a scooter in September/October. We did Disney and Universal. Disney, perfect. They handled the scooter and his mobility limitations like a champ. Universal, COMPLETELY different story. It was very difficult to navigate through lines with the scooter, and most places told him he had to park it outside, but didn't offer any alternative line. This includes stairs (Harry Potter) and long waits while standing.

I took my elderly parents. (Upper 80’s)We rented wheelchairs off site. This was for Disney not universal as my dad cannot do much at universal with his bad back. Most likely universal won’t issue a disability pass for this as the parks expect you to use a wheelchair but it doesn’t hurt to ask. My dad stayed in the chair most of the time and for most rides (again at Disney). But my mom could walk more and we often had the empty wheelchair with us while she walked but it was available when she was tired or when we moved across the park as she walks quite slow and could bottle neck crowded areas. It is no joke pushing wheelchairs in a park. Pushing my dad all the time was physically and mentally exhausting because you have to be so careful not to hit people in front of you or who walk right in front of the chair as if you aren’t even there. We put foam wraps on the handles of the chair because the plastic grips actually hurt your hands after a time. I had a little foam bendy hook from Amazon to wrap around my dad’s cane and hang it on the back of the seat so it was there but out of the way. I also bought a seat cushion that was 4 inches thick so he could get out of the chair and be comfortable in it. My mom didn’t need those extras since she did walk a lot and isn’t as physically deconditioned like my dad. It was a hard trip but absolutely the best and I have no regrets at all. Anyway just some info on taking the parents to theme parks for you
May I ask where did you rent the wheelchair from. I am going to try to use some of these on our next trip with my husband!!

We have done many a trip with my in-laws, both in scooters, and one trip with my DD in a scooter following ACL surgery. We stay at PBH and my in-laws would often meet us at the parks and either took the boat or scootered over on the paths. They can transfer to wheelchairs for attractions and were basically in their scooters all day. Most attractions have elevators as well that you take to the ride floor and they just come off the scooter and on the attraction. We rented the scooters ahead of time from Walker Mobility.

Do they use anything at home? Have you thought of rollators? You can buy one for around $100-$150. If they need just a little help, these would fit the bill.

May I ask where did you rent the wheelchair from. I am going to try to use some of these on our next trip with my husband!!

we got them from scooterbug as they were the cheapest and could leave them at bell services. The quality was OK. Tires were good but they were clearly quite old. My mom was fine with no added seat cushion. I got a 4inch cushion for my dad on amazon. It made it quite comfortable for him plus gave him height to get out of it. I also threw airtags into the back of them just in case someone took them which was not an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter