Parks most affected during Marathon strategy/suggestions?

Stinkomann20x6

Mouseketeer
Heya, we are headed to Orlando January for our first time actually using DVC points that we bought in 2018 (thanks Dorian Reschedule then Covid lol).

We are getting the trip starter a few days before Kiddo turns 3.

As it stands our first park day will be Jan 4th and MK is gonna be our starting park. I’ve never been during Marathon, and in the research I’ve done, I’ve seen mornings are best cause runners rest etc. but I can’t seem to locate anything that might help with what parks are most affected. My thought is Epcot or DHS on 1/5 and then 1/6 whichever one we don’t go to the previous day As I’m guessing they are most affected day of and 1/5 being digital race or something(?) And leaving AK for Saturday. We will be there for a while so we will have return trips to parks, but just trying to see what best plan might be or if any have thoughts or suggestion since we’ve been planning a visit with hiccups a few years now but want to make it as magical as possible for my folks who will be with us and kiddo first trip.

thanks so much!

edit. We will be staying at Polynesian in case that makes a difference suggestions wise with access to Epcot via TTC

I would check to see what time the marathon is. We were there during a Star Wars Marathon. They started early in the morning, but were still running through HS by 10. CMs had parts of all the main walk ways roped off for the runners. Made getting around the art very difficult.

I would check to see what time the marathon is. We were there during a Star Wars Marathon. They started early in the morning, but were still running through HS by 10. CMs had parts of all the main walk ways roped off for the runners. Made getting around the art very difficult.
Gotcha. So if it goes through DHS and muddies up things. Might be good to do DHS first since that first day (our 2nd park day) is a virtual race or something.

Thx!

4th will just be expo @ wide world of sports so no park impact
5th is the 5K run through Epcot
6th is the 10k is run through Epcot [and studios if courses remain the same]

The 5K & 10K’s are cleared from the parks before open and since you are coming from Polly your fine (Y&B Club, Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin might have small impacts for guests wanting to get a jump on rope drop)

7th is the half & 8th is the full those are the days you would need to concern yourself with re: touring impacts as they both go through magic kingdom/the monorail resort areas and with longer distances runners are still in parks after opening (

The 5K & 10K’s are cleared from the parks before open and since you are coming from Polly your fine (Y&B Club, Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin might have small impacts for guests wanting to get a jump on rope drop)

7th is the half & 8th is the full those are the days you would need to concern yourself with re: touring impacts as they both go through magic kingdom/the monorail resort areas and with longer distances runners are still in parks after opening (
Thanks so much! This is the info I was struggling to find. I appreciate it!

Thanks so much! This is the info I was struggling to find. I appreciate it!
No problem….
A few weeks before the weekend they will post a runners guide with maps on the RunDisney site (and it will be posted to the marathon weekend thread here) so you can see where the half/full routes officially go

No problem….
A few weeks before the weekend they will post a runners guide with maps on the RunDisney site (and it will be posted to the marathon weekend thread here) so you can see where the half/full routes officially go
Makes sense. At least this way I can try and get a ballpark idea, since reservations are still a thing. And can see how things are going closer to race.

To expand on this:

The 5k and 10k are correct. They will be finished before any parks open, and are centered around Epcot. So the only thing you might experience are people wearing medals around their necks on Thursday and Friday.

The 1/2 marathon is a course that goes from Epcot to Magic Kingdom and back. They will clear the runners out of MK before that park opens, though the tail end of the runners might be going through Epcot as that opens.

The full marathon is the killer. It starts in Epcot, goes to MK, then to AK, Blizzard Beach, DHS, around BC/YC to the IG entrance of Epcot, through World Showcase, and then back to the front of that park to finish it. It should be done by noon, but it does impact EP/HS/AK. Again, like the half, Magic Kingdom should be cleared out before guests are allowed in. Though guests will be in MK during the race, but just on Main Street USA. Runners will be going through EP/HS/AK as they open for rope drop, so walking paths may be affected. Epcot will be affected the most, as that is the park that is run through last.

To expand on this:

The 5k and 10k are correct. They will be finished before any parks open, and are centered around Epcot. So the only thing you might experience are people wearing medals around their necks on Thursday and Friday.

The 1/2 marathon is a course that goes from Epcot to Magic Kingdom and back. They will clear the runners out of MK before that park opens, though the tail end of the runners might be going through Epcot as that opens.

The full marathon is the killer. It starts in Epcot, goes to MK, then to AK, Blizzard Beach, DHS, around BC/YC to the IG entrance of Epcot, through World Showcase, and then back to the front of that park to finish it. It should be done by noon, but it does impact EP/HS/AK. Again, like the half, Magic Kingdom should be cleared out before guests are allowed in. Though guests will be in MK during the race, but just on Main Street USA. Runners will be going through EP/HS/AK as they open for rope drop, so walking paths may be affected. Epcot will be affected the most, as that is the park that is run through last.
Appreciate the further explanation. I’ll Pass this all on to my family and see what they think. we’ll have a couple resort days to to break it up during our stay. since full marathon is after we’ve had 4 days in parks. Unless full marathon would hit Poly and make it more worth it to have a different resort day.

For staying at the Poly I would plan to go to MK on Saturday, the day of the half.

You can walk or take the monorail or boat to the park. They won’t let you in the park until the runners are all out and cleared for guests. That might not be until a few minutes after 8 AM when they usually let people into the park. But, when it does open, I have always found it to be less crowded than usual for an hour or two because general race traffic disruptions make it harder for people to get there and some stay away from it.

When I have family members participating in the half I go to the TTC early and see them go through there near the 4 mile mark at about 6:30 AM. Then I walk through the Poly and go out to the road across from Shades of Green and watch them come through there again near the 8 mile mark. Then I head to MK to be there for park opening. At that time of the morning it’s a pleasant walk around the lagoon and past GF.

For marathon day Epcot is the most affected throughout the park because guests have to be routed through and around runners, who will be going through until early afternoon. I like to go to DHS that day because the course is usually confined to just the area near TOT so it is easy to avoid. Again, at opening I find it to be a little less crowded at park open than a normal day. Just give yourself a little more time to get there because a bus might have to take a different route to get around the race course.

Appreciate the further explanation. I’ll Pass this all on to my family and see what they think. we’ll have a couple resort days to to break it up during our stay. since full marathon is after we’ve had 4 days in parks. Unless full marathon would hit Poly and make it more worth it to have a different resort day.

No problem! The course does go in front of The Poly, but it should be cleared out before too long. The Poly is at around mile post 12.5, so the last of the runners should be out by like 8:45 in the morning, and should be long past MK by then.

But then, there is a high school marching band that will be playing under the monorail tracks at the TTC until all the runners go past...

For staying at the Poly I would plan to go to MK on Saturday, the day of the half.

You can walk or take the monorail or boat to the park. They won’t let you in the park until the runners are all out and cleared for guests. That might not be until a few minutes after 8 AM when they usually let people into the park. But, when it does open, I have always found it to be less crowded than usual for an hour or two because general race traffic disruptions make it harder for people to get there and some stay away from it.

When I have family members participating in the half I go to the TTC early and see them go through there near the 4 mile mark at about 6:30 AM. Then I walk through the Poly and go out to the road across from Shades of Green and watch them come through there again near the 8 mile mark. Then I head to MK to be there for park opening. At that time of the morning it’s a pleasant walk around the lagoon and past GF.

For marathon day Epcot is the most affected throughout the park because guests have to be routed through and around runners, who will be going through until early afternoon. I like to go to DHS that day because the course is usually confined to just the area near TOT so it is easy to avoid. Again, at opening I find it to be a little less crowded at park open than a normal day. Just give yourself a little more time to get there because a bus might have to take a different route to get around the race course.
Great tips thank you!

No problem! The course does go in front of The Poly, but it should be cleared out before too long. The Poly is at around mile post 12.5, so the last of the runners should be out by like 8:45 in the morning, and should be long past MK by then.

But then, there is a high school marching band that will be playing under the monorail tracks at the TTC until all the runners go past...
Haha maybe the marching band will make it less likely to resort day! 😂:P

I went during the 2022 marathon, and HS ran out of reservations. It was by far the most crowded because the group leans older kids and it had the newest stuff at the time. Also, it’s the smallest with problematic rides that keep breaking.

HS was so bad, we left and hopped.

Transportation will be fine, TTC will be great. Late hours Monday after the marathon were glorious. We just sat on Soarin four times

No way you hear anything from TTC. You’ll be fine at poly.

I agree with the MK morning advice. We would be coming from BW, so no way to get to MK. You are coming from Poly, so you monorail or TTC boat or worst, worst scenario walk. You can beat a lot of people who can’t get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter