Parking

Dmwc484

Mouseketeer
We will be going to Disney in April. My son and I have been several times but this will be a larger family trip. We have one member that will be using an ECV. She does not have a handicap tag but I know we should be able to park in the medical overflow lot. How would that work if we are in two vehicles. Would we be able to park together? The way we have it planned is she would ride with me but the ECV would need to go in the other vehicle.

I’ve never traveled with two vehicles so I’ve never had this issue, but is there a reason she can’t ride in the vehicle with her ECV? Seems like the easiest option is just have her in the vehicle with the ECV to be safe in case they don’t let both cars park in the medical overflow lot. April is spring break time so if it’s busy I could see them only allowing one vehicle to park in the medical overflow lot.

It's a space issue. The other vehicle has my cousin, her husband and their 2 kids, but they are in a truck and the ECV fits easier than in my car. If we have to, I might be able to fit the ECV in my car if I can handle moving it on my own.

I see you wanting to park near each other, but medical overflow is a limited space as well, so you'd have to be okay with that? Is there a reason you need to be in medical overflow with an ECV?

I was looking for the day when we don't go first thing in the morning. So she wouldn't be trying to drive it from way back in the parking lot. She doesn't know where she is going really and the rest of us would ride the tram. I could always ride the ECV up for her and let her ride the tram. Just didn't want to leave her by herself to do that because she had no sense of direction.

I've never used preferred parking. Would that be a better option?

I was looking for the day when we don't go first thing in the morning. So she wouldn't be trying to drive it from way back in the parking lot. She doesn't know where she is going really and the rest of us would ride the tram. I could always ride the ECV up for her and let her ride the tram. Just didn't want to leave her by herself to do that because she had no sense of direction.

I've never used preferred parking. Would that be a better option?

Would medical overflow even have a spot open later on in the morning? I would think that would fill up in the morning and not open up again until people started to leave early/late afternoon?

The easiest would be for her to be in the vehicle with the ECV. Another possibility would be for you to park in the medical overflow and drive the ECV to the tram drop off area while she rides the tram from wherever the rest of your family is parked.

Space is limited in the medical overflow lot. Since she doesn’t have a handicapped parking permit, don’t park in any spot with handicapped sign or blue lines. People without a valid permit can get ticketed and even towed if they park in those spots without a valid permit

It's a space issue. The other vehicle has my cousin, her husband and their 2 kids, but they are in a truck and the ECV fits easier than in my car. If we have to, I might be able to fit the ECV in my car if I can handle moving it on my own.

Could one (or two) of your cousin, her husband, or two kids ride in your car instead of the family member needing the ECV? That way, she could ride int the same vehicle as the ECV

They will not let both cars park in medical especially without a handicap placard. I have a handicap placard and I am the driver. I have gone with others in a different vehicle. They are not allowed to follow me to handicap or medical overflow. They are directed to regular parking and we have to meet up by by the bathrooms just past the gift shop once you walk past tkt windows. I suggest you rearrange the seating arrangements in the car. Handicap and medical overflow is needed for those with the disability.

Thanks for the replies. We may have to rework how we ride to the parks. Has anyone paid for preferred? I've always parked in the standard parking lot. Is preferred a lot closer?

I see you wanting to park near each other, but medical overflow is a limited space as well, so you'd have to be okay with that? Is there a reason you need to be in medical overflow with an ECV?
Yes, it is safer for loading and unloading as you won't have as much traffic going.

Disneys website even asks that you do so if you have any mobility device.

Additionally, at other spaces you risk being out in front and having someone block where you need to load and unload from.

As for the OP, I would suggest reworking seating so the ECV is in the same vehicle as the person who needs it. There are times where your vehicles could end up very far apart even if you enter using the same lane right behind each other and that could be problematic. Even if you paid for preferred, sometimes they have preferred parking split into two parts and can both be fairly close to the gate, but far apart. That is less likely, but can happen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. We may have to rework how we ride to the parks. Has anyone paid for preferred? I've always parked in the standard parking lot. Is preferred a lot closer?
The preferred part of the lot is closer, but can sometimes be split into two or more sections that could be far from each other for someone with mobility issues.

Thanks. She can walk, but just not too far. So I have a few options and a better understanding of our options now.

Thanks. She can walk, but just not too far. So I have a few options and a better understanding of our options now.
also remember you will have to reverse back out to cars at end of day in parks. while she can walk some will she be able to walk that far after day in the park. I know what I can do in morning I most likely will not be able to do in the evening

So, I looked at Google maps to see the areas for medical parking at each park. Pretty much all the spots were filled when the satellite took the photos, but the regular parking lots were only half full, maybe less. I hope you are able to find a parking spot that works for you, but I'd have a backup plan if I were you.

Yes, it is safer for loading and unloading as you won't have as much traffic going.

Disneys website even asks that you do so if you have any mobility device.

Additionally, at other spaces you risk being out in front and having someone block where you need to load and unload from.

As for the OP, I would suggest reworking seating so the ECV is in the same vehicle as the person who needs it. There are times where your vehicles could end up very far apart even if you enter using the same lane right behind each other and that could be problematic. Even if you paid for preferred, sometimes they have preferred parking split into two parts and can both be fairly close to the gate, but far apart. That is less likely, but can happen.
Medical overflow parking spots are no different than the regular spots, just closer. They are the same size as the regular and if you get motioned to go to front spot, someone can and will park behind you. Part of my problem is actually getting out of my car. I need my door all the way open to pull up and out due to my back. The handicap area I can do that. The Medical Overflow I have a hard time because I can't open my door all the way, it's a regular spot..just being used for overflow :(

Medical overflow parking spots are no different than the regular spots, just closer. They are the same size as the regular and if you get motioned to go to front spot, someone can and will park behind you. Part of my problem is actually getting out of my car. I need my door all the way open to pull up and out due to my back. The handicap area I can do that. The Medical Overflow I have a hard time because I can't open my door all the way, it's a regular spot..just being used for overflow :(
Many of the spots in the Handicapped/Medical lots are no wider than regular spots. Some have a small crosshatched access lane and some are wider cross hatched access lanes, marked ‘van accessible.’

The WDW regular parking spots and Medical Overflow spots are long enough for 2 vehicles; one parked in front of the other. In Handicapped/Medical parking, they are single spots, with no one parked behind.

Many of the spots in the Handicapped/Medical lots are no wider than regular spots. Some have a small crosshatched access lane and some are wider cross hatched access lanes, marked ‘van accessible.’

The WDW regular parking spots and Medical Overflow spots are long enough for 2 vehicles; one parked in front of the other. In Handicapped/Medical parking, they are single spots, with no one parked behind.
Yep, all the spots I have ever been directed to when the few rows of actual handicap were filled, were regular sized spots with front and back parking. EPCOT left side, rows directly after the regular handicap, MK the handicap section to the right lot, then handicap is on left, overflow to right. I never had issues at HS or AK always seemed to get actual handicap there. The actual handicap spots, with the white line strips, that makes a world of difference in opening your car door. Another car will not be inches away. I usually look for the stripes on the drivers side, not the passenger side when possible. If not available, I park on the line but not the cross lines, to give me some room. I can't squeeze out of my door.

Last edited:
When we used them, they blocked off every other spot to make wider spots and no one parked behind us because we could either park at the back of the spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter