• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parking woes...

mercexe

Earning My Ears
Just ended our brilliant 2 weeks and now in New York for a while.

Wanted to share some parking observations as we spent so much time in traffic/full car parks during our stay!

First - Downtown Disney - what a nightmare! The road running round the edge is permanently clogged and it can take an hour to go just a couple of miles, especially on a Saturday night. It's absolutely crazy. We had Cirque tickets and I'm not exaggerating when I say at least 40% of the audience was late and had to walk in during the breaks between acts. Avoid that road at all costs if you can. As for parking, we were forced to valet park at a cost of $20 + tips because all the lots were constantly full. That's despite driving round trying to find a space and despite checking every single lot (including the parking area at the back of Cirque du Soleil). It's mayhem. We were on-site at Beach Club and the buses weren't much better....took FOREVER to get to DTD and then the queues to get buses back to the resorts were always ridiculously long. I really wish they'd hurry up and finish the construction!

Second - Premium Outlets on Vineland Road - we drove around the car parks (including the new multi-storey they added) multiple times and gave up after 30 minutes. Even the valet was full. Never seen it so busy. This was on a random Tuesday afternoon and again on a Friday morning. It was jammed. Cars were lined up down every row waiting to pounce on people leaving. Absolutely crazy.

Traffic was generally really bad this year! We hate waiting around for the Disney buses and how long they take and prefer the comfort of our own car, but really, not worth the hassle at a lot of the time this trip!

We visited both with no problems (3-19th July) but I wouldn't visit DTD in the evening until the construction is finished.
Get there for opening to both places and you can park anywhere you want.

Not good advice if you have a show or meal booked at DTD, but again not something I would do until the construction is complete, the area is a nightmare.

Same with Premium Outlets, get there for opening, we could park anywhere we wanted, far easier than trying to park in the evening. Even getting there 30-60 mins after opening can be a struggle to park at times.

Downtown Disney is a mess - parking should improve towards the end of the year when the first parking garage opens.

We didn't visit the outlets this time as I prefer the mall.

Thanks for the update.

I'm quite nervous about how long it is going to take us to get from DTD to DHS for Villains Unleashed.

If it weren't for the Cirque tickets on the same night we wouldn't even be contemplating this! We just need to get a taxi - hopefully coming out of West Side it might be slightly quicker getting out. Or is this just wishful thinking?

I'm wondering whether it might be quicker overall to get the boat back to OKW and then a taxi from there?

We are off next week, I think if and when we go to DTD ill stick to Disney Buses for this trip.. Normally take the car but based on how busy the roads around DTD and less parking spaces not worth the stress !!

Vineland can always be a difficult one on evenings we have got stuck in traffic a few times coming/coming and parking via DTD, prob worth driving the long way round and coming via back routes!

Thanks for the update.

I'm quite nervous about how long it is going to take us to get from DTD to DHS for Villains Unleashed.

If it weren't for the Cirque tickets on the same night we wouldn't even be contemplating this! We just need to get a taxi - hopefully coming out of West Side it might be slightly quicker getting out. Or is this just wishful thinking?

I'm wondering whether it might be quicker overall to get the boat back to OKW and then a taxi from there?

You should be fine getting a taxi - it will be no quicker to get the boat to OKW and a taxi from there. What might - and I stress might - be quicker would be to walk over to SSR and get a taxi or bus from there. However, the walkway to SSR is the other end of DTD so I would stick with your plan to grab a cab!

You should be fine getting a taxi - it will be no quicker to get the boat to OKW and a taxi from there. What might - and I stress might - be quicker would be to walk over to SSR and get a taxi or bus from there. However, the walkway to SSR is the other end of DTD so I would stick with your plan to grab a cab!

Thank you - once again you are the voice of wisdom for me :D

I think July is much busier than August as well, we went in July one year and traffic was really bad at DTD even before the garages were being built. August last year was a lot better.

I think July is much busier than August as well, we went in July one year and traffic was really bad at DTD even before the garages were being built. August last year was a lot better.

It does drop off in August after the 1st week has passed, July is on a whole the busiest month at DW according to a friend we know who works on contracts for Disney ..

In feb we found parking ok but road outside very slow, whens it likely to improve?

Sometime next year - they are widening the road, building new slips from the I4 and building parking garages.

The first garage is due for completion later this year. They have started the work on the road which is going from 7 to 10 lanes and they have started the work to clear for the slip roads.

We don't use that road - I will drive out of my way to avoid it :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter