Parking lot - empty spaces

chris1212

Mouseketeer
Just wondering if at some point during the day they start filling in parking spaces for vehicles that have left? Or do they always fill all lots to the back first?

If it’s late in the day is there any way to get a closer spot from someone who’s left for the day rather than parking in the very back lot?

Thanks!

On our Christmas trip, they were definitely filling the spaces in during the day. I'm not sure if they filled the rest of the lot first or they had run out of room by this point, the parking attendants were parking people in previously vacated spots.

The technology exists. It's a guy in a golf cart riding up and down the aisles counting open spaces.

Only works if they can find someone to drive the golf cart. Labor shortages are spreading around the country. Already here restaurants have had to cut back hours and even close because they can't find enough workers. Sure the mobile ordering is helping somewhat but I don't think they'll be able to automate all of the tasks.

Drone technology can aid in something like this. I would imagine that that would be more efficient way to gather the same information that the person on the golf cart is gathering.

IME, once the final open lot that is designated to be used that day is filled (no clue how they decide that, but sometimes whole lots are left empty on purpose), then the barriers are re-set to route people into the front lots again. They usually will still wave you into aisles that they know have multiple open spaces, but unlike in the morning, there is no one at the far end of the aisle making sure that every open space is filled, so you are more or less on your own once you turn into the aisle.

Drone technology can aid in something like this. I would imagine that that would be more efficient way to gather the same information that the person on the golf cart is gathering.

That seems like a solution in search of a problem. You really only need to worry about filling all available parking spaces when you run out of room. That's not typically a problem at the theme parks on an average day.

In contrast, the parking garages at Disney Springs do fill up completely on a regular basis. I'm certain that's the reason why Disney installed their "open space here" system. I believe they even upgraded it a year or so after it was installed to improve it.

(Note: I recognize the fact that you didn't state that the drone idea was actually necessary.)

At the theme parks, if you drive into an aisle and don't find an empty space, the far end of the aisle is exit only. In order to try another aisle you would have to drive the wrong way through the aisle where there may be choke points with cars that may be coming the other way. If you did not know the layout you might find yourself exiting far enough where you have to go through the lot entrance booths again to make another try.

Thus the parking lot attendants on Segways (if they have not left for the day) need to be careful not to direct more cars down an aisle than there are empty spaces.

Last edited:
That seems like a solution in search of a problem. You really only need to worry about filling all available parking spaces when you run out of room. That's not typically a problem at the theme parks on an average day.

In contrast, the parking garages at Disney Springs do fill up completely on a regular basis. I'm certain that's the reason why Disney installed their "open space here" system. I believe they even upgraded it a year or so after it was installed to improve it.

(Note: I recognize the fact that you didn't state that the drone idea was actually necessary.)

IMO, it is inefficent to not reuse spaces that are vacated. No matter what time of day I arrive at any parking lot, I always want to park in the closest spot. This is true at the mall, supermarket, and at a theme park. When I arrive at MK in the middle of the day, it bothers me to be directed to the back of the lot, and then see all of the empty spots near the front not being refilled.

IMO, it is inefficent to not reuse spaces that are vacated.
It's inefficient to drive around looking for the closest parking space, too. Wastes time andgas, adds wear and tear to the vehicle.
When I arrive at MK in the middle of the day, it bothers me to be directed to the back of the lot, and then see all of the empty spots near the front not being refilled.
So, again, ask tgt CM directing drivers if you can look for a closer space.

The technology exists. It's a guy in a golf cart riding up and down the aisles counting open spaces.
Most large car parks in Australia have the technology, letting you know where he spots are, number of spots etc. surprised it isn’t utilised more there. And it isn’t by using a cart, or a drone! Each spot has a sensor.

Most large car parks in Australia have the technology, letting you know where he spots are, number of spots etc. surprised it isn’t utilised more there. And it isn’t by using a cart, or a drone! Each spot has a sensor.
The DS garages have that, though it's a bit wonky (sometimes shows filled spaces as available), and I heard they are planning to replace it.

WDW theme park lots are vast, and management has probably decided there's no payback for retrofitting them. It's much cheaper to just have a few entry-level or CP cm's directing cars to fill them front to back. Remember, it's not like an airport where cars are constantly coming and going; they start with an empty lot each morning and just fill the rows in sequence. And the amount of churn is rather small, as most cars stay parked for at least half the day.

Our local airport has this - I figured it was fairly standard and basic technology, seems a no brainer to have it at DS garages.
We stopped by just before Christmas, I think it was the 23rd. as we drove by. Mid day, parked in Lime Garage if memory serves....no CM's directing parking. We drove in and parked where we liked.

We returned to HS last week very late. We got there just before park closing so we could catch the fireworks. And no one was directing traffic anymore so we drove right in and got pretty much the closest spot you can manage to the entrance. No idea how early that happens though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter