• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Park Vue Inn? 3/14 and 3/15.

faith313

Mouseketeer
My family of 4 have Deluxe AP's. We've made good use of them this month, hitting the parks twice within the last week (on President' Day and then yesterday). But we haven't stayed there overnight since our DD's bday last Oct. We've stayed at Paradise Pier and HOJO in the past. My birthday is coming up next month and I was able to get 2 days off of work Thursday 3/14 and Friday 3/15. DH and I hardly ever have ANY time together and since our 30 trips to the parks since we've been passholders for about 1.5 years, we have never gone by ourselves. So the plan is for us to drive up on Thursday by ourselves and be there when the parks open. Spend the day together, etc. Then Friday morning he is going to drive back to our home (about 30 miles away) and pick up the kids while I get to sleep in a bit (a luxury almost as good as a day at DL/CA in and of itself LOL). Then we will spend the day there Friday, sleep at the hotel that night and head home Saturday morning (since our Deluxe APs are blocked out :( ). Paradise Pier is out of our budget and I honestly didn't really like the walk from the HOJO. Close proximity is my #1. Has anyone stayed here? I have read some good reviews and some scary reviews. It will essentially just be a place to sleep, we don't plan on spending much time there at all. Thoughts?

(Oh btw.. since I can't post in the (controversial? lol) thread I posted last week about my DS not being allowed on RSR after waiting nearly 2 hours - we went yesterday and he made the cut ;) happy boy! )

Park Vue inn is fine if you want to stay across the street and be close to the park without spending a fortune. As with the other hotels, parking is an issue so if you're going by car, try to arrive relatively early and try not to move the car much once you're there.

The only actual issue we ever had with Park Vue inn is that the "Free" breakfast charges extra for milk. For some reason, my wife thought this was a crime against humanity, so we usually wind up at the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn. If you stay there, you get a voucher for breakfast at Cap'n Kidd's next door, which actually is a crime against humanity, but the milk is free.

If you like bugs and very poor management response, stay at the PVI.

Jack

Bugs?????

I do like bugs. In fact, I would almost call myself a bug-a-phob.

For $149 a night plus tax I didn't feel I should have to worry about something common of $49 a night motels.

Did you have experience with bugs here?????

If you are wanting a suite, try Desert Inn & Suites.

I've stayed at BWPPI and enjoyed it.

I just got back from staying 4 nights at the PVI.

Quick review--CLEAN room passed the bare feet test. 5 minute walk to the security tent was amazing. (Nightly joke after 12 hours in the park went something like "Oh, I don't know if I can handle the walk back to the mot--oh, we're here!"). As far as customer service, they won my repeat business (will explain more on what they did below). All said and done, we will be staying there for all our DLR family vacays.

Longer review--Showed up at 5:45pm on Wednesday. Check-in took 5 minutes or so. They didn't fuss about putting the charges on 2 separate credit cards (on a previous trip we stayed at the Super 8 on Katella and they said, "There's no way to do that without canceling your reservation," and yet PVI didn't flinch for a moment at it).

We got room 111. Went to the room, left everything (including my kid! LOL) outside the door. Checked mattresses (covered, so I unzipped it), headboard, night stand, and dresser to find ZERO signs of bugs (no red stains, no odd discolorations, no black spots). We brought everything in and unpacked.

We took a dip in the pool and jacuzzi. Both were completely sparkling clean.

Back at our room, I explored a little. There's a fake (electric) fireplace that I enjoyed while DD was sleeping. There were dishes/pots/pans/silverware for cooking/eating. The kitchenette came with a full-size oven, 4 burner gas range, microwave, fridge, toaster, dish soap, sponge (looked clean), and paper towels. Sadly, we never made use of any of it, LOL. The bathrub was nice and deep, and even had jets. Ahhhhh! Heaven after a long day of walking! Two queen beds with the "triple sheet" blankets (fitted sheet, flat sheet, velour blanket, another flat sheet on top); not my favorite, but it seems to be the "in" way to do things now. Sheets were white and completely stain-free. 4 pillows on each bed, and 2 pillows with a blanket in the closet for the pull-out (full-size) sofa-bed. DD had no complaints about sleeping on the couch (she's 8). Flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom. Loved having a vanity in the kitchen area as well as in the bathroom; allowed DD to be brushing her teeth at the vanity while I put on my makeup in the bathroom while SO took his shower.

Maid service was very good. We came "home" each evening with a clean room (still passing the bare-foot test!), beds made, fresh towels. If things were on the bed, they put them back after making the bed (like DD's light-up pillow pet and my planning journal). They promptly fixed a slow-flowing tub drain when we called about it.

They called on night #2 to check in and see if we need anything. Thought that was nice.

Their breakfast fare was FAR above what I expected. They had sausage, scrambled eggs, waffle batter and hot irons, 4 cereals, bread for toast, and bagels; 4 kinds of juice, coffee (SO said it was too weak), and hot cocoa available in to-go cups. I think there may have been pastries, but I can't remember.

The gift shop has a good, albeit spendy, selection of items--tons of t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc., along with the more typical candy, pop, etc. And because I neglected to check my packing list, I was pleased to see that they carried hairbrushes--because I forgot our hairbrush. (Need to do a smily kitting head on the wall with that one). Sodas are $1.75 in the vending machine--making it more than $1 cheaper than in the parks, so we just got them there before heading in each day. A regular candy bar was $1.19.

Now, as far as customer service, I have to admit, they won me over. The check-in was quick and easy. The check-out was non-exsistant; just leave the key-card on the table! Where they won me over, though, was *after* we checked out. We were waiting at the DLR Express bus stop when I looked down to notice that I had never put on my engagement ring after my shower. My heart sank. The bus was due in mere minutes. SO RAN back to the hotel, they immediately let him in the room, and he and the maintainence worker looked and looked for the ring. They eventually found it on the floor of the bathroom. SO was in the bedroom area of the suite--it would have been so easy for the worker to pocket the ring, and yet, he found it and handed it right over to SO.

Perhaps they are finally cleaning up their act?

Also of note, SO said the maintainence man said they were in the middle of refurbishments. We appeared to have a pretty new room.

Thanks for the good review. Reviews are so hard. Things can go great or horribly at any establishment. But I must admit, the bug thing skeeved me out a bit. I will try to keep an open mind and not cancel our reservation YET. But please, anyone else with any other experiences, please feel free to chime in. I greatly appreciate them ALL! :cool1:

We stayed at the Park Vue last March and liked it! We requested an upstairs park view room when we booked the room and we got it. We mentioned we were there the weekend between our kids two birthdays when we checked in. The person at the front desk asked them how old they were. When we got back to our room after being in the park, there were two huge birthday baskets filled with prob. $25+ in Disney related gifts, that were even age appropriate, along with balloon bouquets for each of them. There was also a basket of snacks, waters, and a bottle of wine for us. Our room was clean. We felt their free breakfast was fine. I don't remember having to pay extra for the food or drinks. They also had drinks and snacks available during the day in the lobby. We never made it back for the free light dinner so I can't comment on that. The PVI is one of the closest places to stay and worked well for walking back and forth with our then 4 and 8 yr olds. We had a good experience and would stay there again!!

We stayed at the Park Vue last March and liked it! We requested an upstairs park view room when we booked the room and we got it. We mentioned we were there the weekend between our kids two birthdays when we checked in. The person at the front desk asked them how old they were. When we got back to our room after being in the park, there were two huge birthday baskets filled with prob. $25+ in Disney related gifts, that were even age appropriate, along with balloon bouquets for each of them. There was also a basket of snacks, waters, and a bottle of wine for us. Our room was clean. We felt their free breakfast was fine. I don't remember having to pay extra for the food or drinks. They also had drinks and snacks available during the day in the lobby. We never made it back for the free light dinner so I can't comment on that. The PVI is one of the closest places to stay and worked well for walking back and forth with our then 4 and 8 yr olds. We had a good experience and would stay there again!!

I believe they have stopped doing baskets and the snacks in the lobby. Not sure when it stopped but I recall a large thread of unhappy posters.

We stayed there in August 2011 and thought it was great. You cannot beat the location. So wonderful to walk out your door and see the entry to Disneyland.
The breakfast was ok, nothing special, but we certainly did not have to pay for milk. I believe there was normal and reduced fat milks.
We have booked to stay at the Hojo this time, mainly because of the Kids Suite and because they don't offer the free supper, bottled water or gift baskets anymore. My son did get a birthday surprise, so that was excellent.
We have nothing but good things to say about the Park Vue, but nothing went wrong, so hard to know how they'd handle that.

I echo everything good everyone else has said. I know some have had bad experiences, but I haven't. I would stay again in a heartbeat. I do, however, like the upstairs rooms, they're quieter.

We stayed there last Feb and like it for our family. The drawback to all those hotels is their age, lack of parking and motel format, but not much they can do without tearing them all down and starting over. I think the Best Western is a little nicer and bigger but I'd stay in the Park Vue again. They didn't charge us for milk at breakfast but maybe that's a change?

We fly a long way to get to Disneyland and we have stayed at PVI twice and I can't fault it. Both times we have been granted early check in when coming from a 14 hour flight at 9am, so that is ALWAYS appreciated. Rooms were clean, no bugs. The short walk can't be beat.
The only reason we are not staying there on our next trip, is we feel after 4 trips to Disneyland this will probably be our last and it's time to experience Disneyworld.

Pretty sure they have stopped the baskets and the light dinner.

The Park Vue has been our go to place for 25+ years (back when it was very, very sketchy lol) We had reservations there for September, but found out on here about a week before our reservation that they stopped a lot of their amenities including the dinner. We felt (and I still do) that people who had existing reservations from when they had the amenities should have at least been offered a discount off their stay. We asked if they would take even $10 a day off (we were staying for about 11 nights and $10 a day wouldn't have even been 10%). They refused to budge. It sucked because part of why we didn't mind paying so much is that we saved so much with the dinner and the stuff in the lobby. The management couldn't have cared less that we have been staying there for 25 years, so we cancelled and went to the Candy Cane Inn instead.

I have to say though, aside from that incident, we have been more than happy with the Park Vue. We have never had problems with bugs or anything like that. It used to be a dingy, gross place but over the years they have really cleaned it up and updated it. The beds are super comfy and the hot breakfast is great. Some people complain about it, but it blows breakfast at most places away since it has all the common stuff plus the bacon, sausage etc.

The problem the pp had with the bed bugs is gross, and the way the PVI handled it was really terrible, but honestly, any hotel can get bugs. You will find 4 star hotels with bedbugs, it's part of the nature of the business. Hopefully they have dealt with them properly as I haven't really seen others saying anything else about bedbugs there.

I think the main thing with the PVI is that if everything goes well, it's a great place to stay. They are really lacking if you have any sort of problem with your stay though.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Does anyone have any current pictures?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter