Park tips for guests with arthritic feet

Asc341

Mouseketeer
Hello all,

My mom just bought her first annual pass (she's SO happy!), but the arthritis in her feet has never been worse. She's a tough cookie (and a stubborn cookie), and still walks all around the parks without any help. However, it kills me that she's in so much pain each day. Are there any tips that people with arthritis find helpful in the park (especially helpful for me if mom won't realize what I'm up to)?

Thank you!

I can help with this ---

I have plantar fascitis in my feet. However you spell that! It hurts. Basically inflammation in the bottom of my feet. This is what I do now that helps a TON...It has saved me to the point where I can go back to Disney and enjoy my trips.

FIND GOOD SHOES!! This is a must... each person is different, but good "broken in" shoes are a must.

1. Every morning I soak my feet in ICE WATER (it hurts, but it helps!). I put ice in the bathtub and add a little water and soak my feet as long as I can stand it.
2. I take a dose of Advil every morning (and sometimes during the day)...ask her DOCTOR to make sure this won't mess with any other meds. This is not good to do all the time, but for a trip, it is fine for most of us.
3. I stop at the First Aid station, sign in and ask them for two "bags" of ice at some point during the day to lay my feet on during a show or something to ice them down again.
4. I soak my feet in ice water again at night - as long as I can stand it! It keeps inflammation down and helps keep my feet in pretty good shape in the parks.

The actual walking helps --- standing still in line is what causes me a lot of problems.

I hope she has a good trip!! I tried a ton of other ways before I came up with this system... but it works well for me.

Maroo's system sounds good for plantar fasciitis, not sure about arthritis. I have plantar fasciitis and I need daily advil too. I usually wear Merrell Encore Breeze shoes with Dr. Scholl's gel inserts and it works pretty well.

I think your mom needs to be sure to take her anti-inflammatory meds and maybe bring along some gel insoles.

Last edited:
I also have a very stubborn mother - over time, she has had a hip replacement, a knee replacement, and a spinal fusion. Before the fusion, she had very bad nerve pain down her legs, but would try to "tough it out" using her rollator (4-wheel walker). It has a seat, so she could take frequent rests. I finally started insisting she allow me to get a wheelchair for her. The first couple of trips, she would only agree for our Epcot days - but it was a start. For our trip last fall, she agreed to have one for the entire trip. We ended up renting from the place on the Boardwalk (we were staying at BWV), and she agreed it was the best decision we made. I did not mind pushing her, and if she felt up to walking, she would use the chair as a walker/rollator - it was a good compromise. This last trip, we also ended up getting a wheelchair for my dad on a couple of days - he doesn't have the pain issues, but his legs get tired easily when the surface isn't flat. We thought about getting scooters for them, but their reflexes/reaction time have slowed a lot, and I'm not confident they'd be able to stop quickly if someone cut them off.

I have RA, and it's the worst in my feet. Good shoes are key. When we went to WDW 2 years ago, our first park day I wore shoes I was questionable about. It ended up being the absolute wrong decision and my feet were killing me by halfway through the day. The next day (and for the rest of our 4 day trip) I switched to my sketchers go walks, and I swear by them. I literally wear these shoes every day in warm weather seasons (in winter I wear uggs daily, I only have 2 pairs of shoes that don't kill my feet). I usually go to Disneyland once or twice a year, and we are mid morning to park close with no midday break kind of people. My feet are only "normal tired" not "I want to cut my feet off painful" at the end of the day.

So good shoes, and Tylenol during the day if needed, but I don't often need to take it.

I have arthritic knees, and as difficult as it is to do at Disney, I try very hard to avoid all sugar. It's easier at home, but on vacation it's far tougher. So, I try to put my high sugar indulgences at the end of the trip.

I also have custom orthotics from the doctor that go in my $130 sneakers I get at Fleet Feet where they fit you as best they can. My mom was wearing the wrong size sneaker for years until she went to fleet feet. Once she went up 2 sizes, the difference was dramatic.

And, the sage old advice, if it hurts, move it. So, daily walking will help the joints in her feet become accustomed to walking, which will build her endurance for her days at The World.

My feet are only "normal tired" not "I want to cut my feet off painful" at the end of the day.

Great tips! I know mom's got customized shoes to help her walk, but in case she doesn't always wear them, I'll have to remind her to wear them in the park. I can't wait to tell her your "I want to cut my feet off painful" comment - it made me laugh out loud and I know it'll make her smile, too! Thanks for the advice :)

In addition to the good advice above, I like using a mini Acu-Ball to roll under my feet at night. Also wonderful for shoulders, neck, etc!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052LIXLU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I have to buy her that! I want so badly to reduce her pain, that I've been giving her anything and everything to try. Thanks for the tip!

I have arthritic knees, and as difficult as it is to do at Disney, I try very hard to avoid all sugar. It's easier at home, but on vacation it's far tougher. So, I try to put my high sugar indulgences at the end of the trip.

And, the sage old advice, if it hurts, move it. So, daily walking will help the joints in her feet become accustomed to walking, which will build her endurance for her days at The World.

I didn't realize that sugar had an impact on arthritis (looks like I have more research to do!) Love the advice to move more - thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter