Park Reservations - Why 2PM?

sueg

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Rumors & News says the park reservation system is probably here to stay. Am I the only one who hates that you can only park hop after 2 PM? We love to start our day at another park and go to Epcot for lunch, during festivals. For us, 2PM is too late to start lunch.

Most places in the sunbelt heat up between 2-4p. That means you're switching parks at the hottest part of the day. That's cruel.

I always thought it was so that you had a better chance to get lunch reservations in your reserved park, before hoppers came over. But Disney has never said 'why 2?'.

One of the many things they did right after reopening in June of 2020 that make no sense now but they keep. I've never heard the answer to why 2PM.

Rumors & News says the park reservation system is probably here to stay. Am I the only one who hates that you can only park hop after 2 PM? We love to start our day at another park and go to Epcot for lunch, during festivals. For us, 2PM is too late to start lunch.
Exactly how we like to do it as well! Then out of the parks by 1:00 - 1:30 for pool time and return around 5:00 ish or so.

I actually think it’s to discourage more people from doing it.
But why? Hopper tix cost more. You’d think they want more people to buy those. Maybe they can’t as easily predict staffing in the afternoons because of hopping? But heck, it seems like they always underestimate how much staffing they need anyway, not overshoot. I mean, I’ve seen way more instances of “only one side running” than “empty logs (or whatever) going by” these days. IDK.

I wish it was at 12. I feel like Epcot has some of the best places to get lunch and that’s not possible to do with the reservations. Also makes it hard when trying to book hard to get dining that you didn’t get at 60 days. I have to keep searching and if something pops up on a day I don’t have that park reserved I can’t use it

When they first brought hopping back at all, they were still seriously restricting overall park attendance. Then, 2 pm allowed them to have enough people who'd the parks entirely for the day, so that folks hopping in wouldn't make a park too crowded.

As to why it's still 2 pm? I'd guess inertia.

Everything Disney has done lately has been greatly to the detriment of the guest. Price increase? Fine - that's part of business. But they've increased the stress and complexity while reducing guest flexibility and choice. It's really horrible and backlash well deserved. Needs a complete overhaul in management who understand that you can actually provide guest experience while making money and it's not a choice of one or the other. Currently - management thinks the main decisions are what they can take away from guests as opposed to how they can make the guest experience more seamless and flexible.

Everything Disney has done lately has been greatly to the detriment of the guest. Price increase? Fine - that's part of business. But they've increased the stress and complexity while reducing guest flexibility and choice. It's really horrible and backlash well deserved. Needs a complete overhaul in management who understand that you can actually provide guest experience while making money and it's not a choice of one or the other. Currently - management thinks the main decisions are what they can take away from guests as opposed to how they can make the guest experience more seamless and flexible.
I agree. I don’t get why they can’t do what universal does with their express pass. No planning, can go on whatever ride you want. No park reservations. I’m planning my first trip with my baby and it seems so complex with having to get dining and then work everything around it

We despise it. We have been to DLR with the 1:00 hopping and even that is too late. We like to start our day at DL and then hop over to CA for lunch. 1:00 is too late for lunch for us. Also, there is nothing more annoying than trying to book lunch reservations at 60 days out and the ones you really want are only available on days you have a reservation for the other park, and before 1:00 p.m. We found the hopping restriction extremely annoying. We were stuck at DL one morning and it was ridiculously crowded (like 60 minutes Small World crowded) and we could look on the app and see all the lines in CA were really short (like 20 minutes Toy Story Mania short) and we couldn't hop to get out of the crowds. We also despise the park reservation system. Every morning we saw children crying with stressed out parents because they had been turned away from the parks as they had tickets and no reservations, or their parents thought you could just show up, buy a ticket, and enter the parks. It was multiple groups every day too. It was heartbreaking. It is not a good start to the day, and almost made us feel guilty for entering the parks after walking past sobbing 4 and 5 years olds. Our October DLR trip was the most stressful Disney trip we have ever had (between no FP, crowds, and virtual queques which were near impossible to get) and we have been to WDW in a hurricane. I currently have a friend who is completely freaking out-- they have a family trip planned with 10 people coming in from different areas, they have their flights booked and a big house rented, they have been promising to take the kids to Disney for years and the kids, who have never been, are extremely excited. They knew nothing about the park reservation system. They thought they could just get online and buy tickets a few weeks in advance. After I told them about the park reservation system, they checked and their planned days are already unavailable. They have no idea what they are going to do-- everything else for their trip is already booked so they can't change their dates.

At WDW, we often stay in the EPCOT area and we like to hop to EPCOT for lunch when there are food booths, which 2:00 p.m. restrictions prevent. There have also been times that I could only get a lunch ADR at a particular place on a day we planned to be in another park, so we hopped for lunch. We also have done the 4 parks in a day a few times, to pick up things we missed or for someone's one more ride preferences. We've also hopped when we found out something in a different park was only available that day at certain times, or it was the last day for something. I feel like we are getting so much less and being charged so much more right now. We weren't pleased during our stressful DLR trip in October, which had replaced our WDW trip scheduled for that same time as I cancelled WDW because of the major price increase ($3000 more for the same dates, same room category than it was in 2019? No thank you). I just cancelled our summer WDW trip this week too. I don't want to pay thousands more for the resort and have to deal with park reservations and park hopping restrictions. I have a friend that just got back, from a family WDW trip with grandparents and he said that they used Genie + and were only able to book 2 or sometimes 3 rides a day for their group with it, they kept getting nothing was available. The trip just isn't worth the price right now-- and we are used to going every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter