• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Park Hopper or not?

We're planning our first trip as a family and we've decided not to buy the park hopper option in advance. I've been reading the DISboards and realized that there's way more in each park that we could see in a week, so our plan is to spend 2 days in MK and one day in each of the other parks. If we get to a park and decide we don't like it (AK is the only one my husband and I haven't been to, but the kids have never been) we might consider adding the park hopper option to go to another park. I don't think that will happen, though.

We are one that wouldn't go without having the hopper option. After over 30 trips we have turned Disney into a relaxing vacation and hopping is a must. We go to a park in the morning and do the things we want to do, go back to the resort for a swim, and basically end up in Epcot for dinner every night and after dinner head to whichever park we want. Since we only stay at the Epcot resorts we spend a lot of time going in and out of Epcot for short periods of time, and as I already said for dinner each night. We have never done a trip without hoppers. Even back when we were doing more commando trips we would go to the park that opened early and then about 11:00 leave as the park was getting crowded and head to another park for the rest of the day. For us it has also always taken away the need to plan our ADRs as much as other do. We just pick the restaurants we want and don't worry about which park we need to be in for the day - especially in case of bad weather because that could change what park we want to go to.

I thought for sure we would use the Park Hoppers several times. In the end, we used them only once, and only for 30 minutes, but it was for a really special event: we got to see Wishes on our last night from the Magic Kingdom -- we got to the park around 7:45 PM for the Magic/Memories show and then Wishes, after having been at another park the rest of the day.

Was it worth $55 per person just to see Wishes together at MK on our last night? I wouldn't have actually paid $55 on the spot to do it, but I was glad we had them.

I have never not hopped

BUt We usually go back to our hotel midday and a differnt park at night

Lately I've been park hopping alot, and I just added it a couple weeks ago to my Wild Pass. Plan it by ear, because you might wanna change your mind later!

We ALWAYS hop, but saying that we are also kid-less... :goodvibes We enjoy going to eat at EPCOT, a lot... we also enjoy going to another park after AK... DH and I have been known to visit 3 parks a day because we will hop to whichever park has evening magic hours - we can stay out and play til 1 a.m. We are taking advantage of it while we can!

However, with kids I would hold off and if you decide you'd like them or need them then add them. DH and I can get a lot done in half-day because we don't have children. I have been around young children all my life - if I were taking children we would start the morning at a park go back to the resort for a nap or a cool down swim and then head back in the evening. I would probably plan 1 park a day because young children (especially on their 1st trip) can easily feel "overwhelmed" with all of the stimuli. And like everyone has said you can always add the option later.

Either way you will enjoy it!

We too are trying to decide whether to hop or not. The last day we are there, they will be reopening the Backlot tour at HS. I am pretty sure we will not need another whole day for HS, but not sure if the backlot tour is worth price of hopper. We had planned the last day for MK to do anything we may have missed there. What do ya'll think?
Thanks in advance:goodvibes

We always do hoppers in Disneyland, but last year when we went to Disneyworld we didn't. It worked out great for us. On our AK days we had downtime at night to take advantage of the activities at our hotel and go see other resorts. I found it very relaxing as it forced us to slow down. Hopping between parks can get stressful as you are always on the go. Being limited to one park a day eliminated the grass is always greener feeling I sometimes get when I'm in one park and thinking of another. Planning on doing the same when we go back this summer.

I don't do hoppers. I go during slower times so I don't see the need to.

But I do have a question. Say I bought an 8-day ticket and used 5 of them. Will I be able to add the hopper option paying for only the 3 days I have left?

I always get park hoppers when I go, but that is because I often will use the extended hours at another park or head over to Epcot for an ADR. Plus, for me, paying the extra cost NOT to eat CS at DHS and head over to Epcot is worth it. :rotfl2:

As for the OP, since this is your first time, I have to agree with those who have advised not to get the hoppers. Your first time is going to be overwhelming enough; I would plan the entire day at that park without hopping around. ;)

I don't do hoppers. I go during slower times so I don't see the need to.

But I do have a question. Say I bought an 8-day ticket and used 5 of them. Will I be able to add the hopper option paying for only the 3 days I have left?

It costs the same no matter how many days are left on the ticket, or how many were originally on it - $55+tax. The one exception is a 1-day ticket (not one day left, but one total day), where it is only $35.

Found this thread and just wanted to say thank you! I have been wrestling with whether or not we should get park hoppers for our first trip with the kids. DH and I have gone without kids and had park hoppers. But, then again, we were kidless and could get around the parks quickly. Now with a 5 y/o and 2 y/o, we know that this experience will be very different. Wonderfully different, to be exact. :goodvibes

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for your advice! I think we will pass on the park hoppers for this trip and put that money towards a character meal. Now to pick that... :lmao:

IMO park hopppers waste a lot of time best to pick a park and if do not see them all then just have to go back or stay longer and really can stay at least another day for price of a hopper add on anyhow. we used to park hop as we had AP but gave that up last year for the MYW package as it cheaper than any discount they gave on AP and to get FD had to buy tow day base tickets on topd of AP price. so gave it up...we just find shady place get a dole whip or iced tea and relax and if cousin with us with her child we put her in the stroller and she takes her nap. so we no longer even go back to resort in the day

We did not have hoppers for our first trip with the kids (3 yo twins), and we really regretted not having them. By the time we wanted them, it didn't seem worth the extra money. We get hoppers every time now.

We were staying at the Poly. And after going to AK for the day, the kids took a much longer nap than usual so we didn't want to go all the way back. So there we were sitting there. Looking at the castle. Wishing we could just hop on over there for the evening. If you go back to your resort for a break mid day, it is priceless to have the option to go to a closer park later that day. Or a less crowded park. Or Epcot just because you want a margarita :lmao:

I would not go to WDW without a Hopper. I don;t even consider not having one.

We have been going since 2008 & never got them. We just went to the park with EMH. This past Feb I got an AP and got DS a park hopper. It was great avoiding the crowds and eating wherever we wanted and going to another park. We won't be going without them again.

We bought hoppers for our first family trip, but haven't in the 4 since. We don't find them a necessity at all.

If you think that your family would do two parks in a day get the parkhopper - but if not just stick with one park per day.

We love the hopper option. We start our day with the EMH morning park. We head back to our resort for a rest then go to a different park in the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter