Park Days...which park on which day?

DerraZ

Earning My Ears
Hello all- taking a family trip, 11 of us, including the Grands. It's been 8 years since we have been to WDW...too long! When we took our first trip, of 7, I used Tour Guide Mike. I loved the suggestions of green parks, red parks, etc on each day of the week. Is there anything out there now that would be similar to this? I have looked at crowd calenders, but wondering if there anything more specific. I'm sorry if this is not the correct place for this question...I'm learning how to navigate this forum after many years!

There are as many opinions about crowd calendars as there are posters on this thread. I have used touring plans for many years and find them to be very valuable in planning my park days. They are measuring only predicted wait times, as that is really the only objective thing that can be measured, and it isn't necessarily an indication of how the crowds "feel." They are also the only crowd calendar I am aware of that looks back to see how accurate their predictions were as compared to reality and publishes it. Their predictions are very close or spot on most of the time. Their website will tell you that the best thing you can do is to simply have a plan, theirs, yours or someone else's, that works for you and be prepared to adjust on the fly if there are unexpected circumstances, like weather or ride breakdowns or tantrums. Since it's been so long since your last visit, read up on Genie+ and know how to use it . There's a very good thread about this pinned to the top of the theme parks board. And with a group as large and diverse as yours, it would be essential to plan out what you want to do together and what some want to do on their own.

I have subscribed to touring plans for this trip, so I will be using that, particularly some of the itineraries with kids. Our girls were 7,7 and 11 the first time we went, Our Granddaughters are 6 and 4. Family meeting coming up soon to determine priorities of the group and we can decide what will be done together or not. I am a very detailed oriented person and planner but planning this time around feels overwhelming with all of the changes. I haven't yet delved into Genie+, but it is a main reason I joined this forum. Thank you for your comments!

Sounds like you have a good plan. Study up on Genie+. There are many websites that explain how to use it, including the thread at the top of this discussion board. That will be the biggest difference for you since your last trip. I was a FastPass champion, and I've been a few times with Genie+, which is more complicated. Plus it costs money, and you have to take that into account with so many people in your party.

I've taken five trips in the last seven years.
Usually look at multiple Crowd Calendar sites and compare ( TP, UT, Others). Park Hours factor into that decision too.
Originally used TP for daily itinerary but the last two trips I made my own "plan" based on Park / Hours / Must do, throw G+ in there with available LL's. In my opinion HS / MK requires G+, Epcot can be done without but $ILL, AK not needed.
With eleven people your probably not Hopping.
If staying deluxe take advantage of EEH in selecting park day.

Disney is a popular vacation destination and crowded most of the time. I don't think there is any magic that lets some 3rd party predict the future and certainly not to the extent of deciding which park to do on a particular day. Even Disney has no idea how many locals with AP's will decide to show up some day when there is good weather. With a group that size, one consideration might be to split up into smaller groups. Some may like 1 park better than the others. Some may want to shop while others prefer to do rides/shows. If one person is deciding what 10 others want to do, I think everyone will be a bit disappointed in having to do whatever the 'lead' person has decided.

No amount of advance planning will make the park any less crowded. I think the adults in your group should get together prior to your trip and discuss how they think this will work to avoid surprises. It would be a huge mistake to not discuss it prior to your vacation and then have 11 people standing around at the entrance to your first park trying to decide where to go and what to do next. Everyone may not have the same budget, so while some may want to purchase those various Genie options, others may not.

You may also have some who want to sleep in, while others may be the go-go-go types up at the crack of dawn and racing off to be one of the first at a particular park. Smaller children often require a nap during the day. Some may want to do the park all day long, while others might prefer to relax by the pool. I doubt everyone has the same idea how to enjoy their vacation. If you split up, you could decide to meet at a certain place/time and have lunch or dinner together.

A lot of valid points here, might use it to start your family meeting. Discuss expectations, goals, special interests, and importantly - budget

Disney is a popular vacation destination and crowded most of the time. I don't think there is any magic that lets some 3rd party predict the future and certainly not to the extent of deciding which park to do on a particular day. Even Disney has no idea how many locals with AP's will decide to show up some day when there is good weather. With a group that size, one consideration might be to split up into smaller groups. Some may like 1 park better than the others. Some may want to shop while others prefer to do rides/shows. If one person is deciding what 10 others want to do, I think everyone will be a bit disappointed in having to do whatever the 'lead' person has decided.

No amount of advance planning will make the park any less crowded. I think the adults in your group should get together prior to your trip and discuss how they think this will work to avoid surprises. It would be a huge mistake to not discuss it prior to your vacation and then have 11 people standing around at the entrance to your first park trying to decide where to go and what to do next. Everyone may not have the same budget, so while some may want to purchase those various Genie options, others may not.

You may also have some who want to sleep in, while others may be the go-go-go types up at the crack of dawn and racing off to be one of the first at a particular park. Smaller children often require a nap during the day. Some may want to do the park all day long, while others might prefer to relax by the pool. I doubt everyone has the same idea how to enjoy their vacation. If you split up, you could decide to meet at a certain place/time and have lunch or dinner together.
It wasn't my intention to have it appear that we haven't been to WDW before...I was a veteran myself while our kids were growing up. However, we always went during Summer vacation, so we are excited to try November this time! Having said that, so much is different and I have a lot to learn this time...almost as overwhelming as our first trip...I planned for 6 months but it was so worth it! As I said previously, we are meeting as a family to discuss priorities of each family and will have all of that worked out. Our adult kids and their spouses all LOVE Disney so we will split up at times for everyone to do the things most important to them, while my Husband and I will take it slower with our grands...can't wait to experience Disney through their eyes! I appreciate the comments!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter