Park comparison

bruisersmommy

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

We are not going to be at DLP for as long as we would like, but we want to see as much as we can. Is anyone familiar enough with DL Anaheim and DL Paris to know what we could skip if we had to? If a ride is exactly like one in DLA then we can move those to the bottom of our must-do list. I have noticed that Indiana Jones is a completely different ride. Are most of them different?

Thanks,
Bruisersmommy

I think that Peter Pan's Flight, Snow White and Pinocchio rides are the same (not sure though). Star Tours is the same, except with some dialogues in French.

Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, It's a Small World, Storybookland, Phantom Manor (our Haunted Mansion) are all upgraded versions (Americans who joined me on a trip in october found all these much better), compared to the ones in WDW and DLA.

Space Mountain: Mission 2 is completely different with loops and going much much faster.

Make sure you'll see some Paris-exclusive rides and shows: Tarzan - the encounter on Chapperal Stage, Legend of the Lion King on Videopolis stage, Cinémagique in the Walt Disney Studios park, Alice's Curious Labyrint (a maze), Adventure Isle (no rides, but a great location to stroll around) and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril (the first Disney rollercoaster ever with a looping). Most rides in the Studios park are Paris exclusives, by the way, except for a few (Flying Carpets, Rock 'n Roller coaster).

I just want to add that I don't think Rock'n'Roller Coaster exists in California, and I would definitely add that to my don't miss list!

I'll be very interested in your trip report, as I haven't been to Disneyland Anaheim yet (well, unless you count 40 years ago and I simply don't remember much) and I'd like to get there next year! So your "comparisons" will be interesting if you care to post them.

Have fun!
:flower: :) :flower: :) :flower: :) :flower:

Me too! We're going to DLA for the first time this year and would be very interested in your comments. :sunny:

Most of the attractions are at least a little bit different, and often quite a lot different. For me, spotting these differences was as much fun as actually riding the attractions. In most cases I think the DLP attractions are an improvement on their counterparts in Orlando and Anaheim, although I do think the Disneyland version of Pirates is very atmospheric and yet to be bettered.

It's not just the major attractions that are different. The level of themeing around the Disneyland park in Paris is wonderful and spectacular, particularly at night. This is one of the areas where DLP far outstrips the Magic Kingdom and even the original Disneyland itself. If you are short of time I think you should skip the Walt Disney Studios altogether and just concentrate on Disneyland.

Regards

Rob

Thank you everyone. I know I'm still going to want to experience everything. I'm really excited about going, and looking at other peoples posts and pictures here only makes me want to see everything more. I will definitely post my trip on here. The only drawback I can see so far is that we won't be able to experience the park at night. From what I have seen, the park closes at 8pm each night we are there and I think it won't get dark until about 9pm. We are going to run in first thing and go around to get fast passes. I can't believe they let you get more than 1 at a time. I haven't heard that Anaheim does that, but we might be going in 2 weeks so I will let everyone know. If things are similar, then I know to run to as many rides as I can in the first hour and count on lines after that. I can't wait to see Sleeping Beauty's Castle. From the pictures I have seen, it is much better than the Anaheim one. However, they have been working on ours for a long time so maybe when it opens it will look more like the Paris one.
Thank you again for all the help. I'm still new at this posting thing so if I put something in the wrong place, I apologize.

First off, I believe DLP is one of the best theme parks. I consider it a "Big Kid's Disney", even though there are plenty of things for younger kids. I'm not sure how much time you have, but if you had to, you could cut out Disney Studios. I've been twice to DLP, and I find 3 days to be all the time you need to hit all the rides plenty of times. Again, I'm not sure how much time you need.

As for the fastpasses, if I remember correctly, you can only get one at a time. The Big Thunder Mountain tickets always seem to go first, so try to hit the ride first thing in the morning and get fastpasses if you want to ride it again. Also, Space Mountain lines get pretty long quickly, so also try to hit the fastpass on that. During any parades, the rides clear out pretty well, so hit rides then (I'm pretty sure there are parades at 2:00 and 4:00).

Most rides at DLP have loops (Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Rock 'n Roller Coaster), though there are rides that are calmer (BTM). Bear that in mind if you have a child or a weak stomach.

If you have time, do go to Disney Studios. The show, Moteur Action Stunt Show, is incredible. If you have time, see it. If not, the park gets really empty, so rides like Rock 'n Roller Coaster or the Flying Carpets (which I waited in line for 30 minutes) are really easy to ride 2 or 3 times. Also during the movie parade, lines get really short.

The Studio Tram Tour at Disney Studios is always interesting, featuring Catastrophe Canyon. If you have time, do that. The line is long, though, and it had no fastpass when I went, so hit it if you can.

The castle is beautiful (with a hidden surprise underneath), and all the CMs are extremely helpful. Almost everyone speaks at least 2 languages, one being English. So if your French isn't that great, you'll do fine. Hope you have a great trip.

~William~ :earboy2:

As far as dark rides go, Pinnochio and Peter Pan are absolutely identical. (As we found out after queuing 40 minutes for Peter Pan when we were in Anaheim :rolleyes: ) Snow White in DLP is a longer, and quite different ride, so might be worth a look if the queue's short.

And everything else is very different from its DL counterpart. Even Storybook Land and It's A Small World have completely different layouts and themes.

I visited DL for the first time last month, after quite a few trips to DLP, and we were still suprised by a lot of the attractions. Pirates and the Haunted Mansion are so different, they seemed like new rides to us. You're going to have a fantastic time! :)

This is one of my favorite questions to answer because when we went we only had 2 days so we had to do the same thing. See all the things that were different, not waste too much time with things that were the same, and of course go on things that were a little bit different as well. We were really lucky though and went at an extremely slow time, and Space Mountain and Indy were always walkons....
First off, in my opinion, Big Thunder Mountain, and Haunted Mansion were my favorites at DLP = not to be missed. Yes, they do exist at DL and WDW, but since they are newer, and in HM's case completely differenent, they are the best in all the parks I have seen so far...HM is scarier so be prepared if you have young kids.
And Space mountain and the Indy ride are definites too because no other park has their versions. Rocknroller coaster is DLP space mountain's sister so they are similiar. I still like California screamin the best because it is so smooth. I got a little headache after going on Space Mountain in DLP..since it is in the dark you cannot anticipate, and my head got jostled around a bit.
There is also an Alice in Wonderland's maze that is probably mostly for children, but since I wanted to see everything that was different, we went through it...nice theming.
Pirates is about the same as WDW's, and not as long as the DL version, but still worth seeing. I agree with the other posters that said DL was the best of all. And yes, the castle is completely unique. It was closed underneath when we went, but definitely go under if you can. I agree with all the other posters. It is really fun to spot the differences and compare them in your mind. Which version do you like the best and why?
I hope you have a great trip! I loved it there, and hope to go back someday! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter