• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

white flag waving

Anyone has/had a kid ready to pack up and come home? Need advice (other than telling her to suck it up) for our dd. It's just all too much. One issue at a time would be doable. Her class work, roomie sit, homesick, been health sick for two weeks, no job, bad food, etc etc all crashed down last wed night. Talked her through the weekend but don't think it is going to work out.
So sorry. Maybe try to convince her to finish the semester and have an exit plan for December. And CC near home is a good option. Money saving too. My DS-20 is getting his associates at CC. Almost done. Hugs to you.

My daughter came home Friday night- of course Amtrak was running an hour late so she got home around 1am. Just dropped her off in NYC this morning to take Amtrak back to school. Nice visit- LOTS of eating- went out Saturday to her favorite Italian place for lunch then the Melting Pot for Dinner- On Sunday she wanted to go to a Hibachi place she likes and this morning she bought a dozen bagel to take back to school. I think she lost a few pounds in the month I have not seen her (she is only like 86 pounds to begin with!).

DD is sick. She had a bad cold when we visited her for the big football game on Sept 30th. She got worse last week - completely lost her voice, tons of yellow mucus, etc. So I told her to make a clinic appointment, which she did last Thursday. They didn't take her seriously at all. They said her lungs were clear and all she needed was a few cough drops for her voice. Fast forward to the weekend and now both her ears are killing her. She's been taking ibuprofen to be able to sleep through the pain. I told her to make another appointment this morning. She can't get one for today, so she's going first thing tomorrow morning. Grrrrr!!!! I wish they'd treated her for the sinus infection she obviously had last week because now she has a double ear infection!

DD is sick. She had a bad cold when we visited her for the big football game on Sept 30th. She got worse last week - completely lost her voice, tons of yellow mucus, etc. So I told her to make a clinic appointment, which she did last Thursday. They didn't take her seriously at all. They said her lungs were clear and all she needed was a few cough drops for her voice. Fast forward to the weekend and now both her ears are killing her. She's been taking ibuprofen to be able to sleep through the pain. I told her to make another appointment this morning. She can't get one for today, so she's going first thing tomorrow morning. Grrrrr!!!! I wish they'd treated her for the sinus infection she obviously had last week because now she has a double ear infection!

I hope that she gets what she needs to get healthy fast! My son's roommate had been really sick for over a week. Finally, Friday night he requested that one of his friends drive him to the ER. His mother then came on Saturday morning to take him home for a couple of days. I think that the diagnosis was tonsillitis, but I don't know if it was strep. My son said that they did give him antibiotics, and he seemed a lot better when his mother brought him back today. I told my son to not let it get that bad before looking for treatment in case he gets it.

I've had a nasty cough for over a week but no fever or yellow mucus, so I think mine is viral. Of course, my son was visiting last weekend when I began getting sick, too, so now I'm worried about how many things he's been exposed to. I have to remember to remind him about a flu shot, too.

My daughter came home Friday night- of course Amtrak was running an hour late so she got home around 1am. Just dropped her off in NYC this morning to take Amtrak back to school. Nice visit- LOTS of eating- went out Saturday to her favorite Italian place for lunch then the Melting Pot for Dinner- On Sunday she wanted to go to a Hibachi place she likes and this morning she bought a dozen bagel to take back to school. I think she lost a few pounds in the month I have not seen her (she is only like 86 pounds to begin with!).
Mine are dying for us to bring them home so they can get all their favorite meals too...Hibachi also being one. They have fall break this Thur to Sun but we won't be able to get them since we are 9 hours away and DH just went up there on the 29th-30th. He did let them pick where to go for dinner...they said Hibachi but MIL and FIL were there too and they don't do Asian food so DDs' second choice was Red Robin so they did get that. Maybe over Thanksgiving break. We are getting them then.

We get to see DD this weekend-yay!!!!!1 Its been a month since we've last seen her. This is the longest we've ever gone without seeing her. I'm trying to put her Halloween care package together. its a pumpkin head plastic candy holder kids take trick or treating. it was only $1 at wal-mart. I just need to figure out best way to wrap it with clear wrap cello and tape or seran wrap and tape and send through he mail.
stuff I'm putting in
-3 mini packs of almonds, cashews and cranberries
-1 mini pack of sea salt almonds
-1 weird fuzzy type animal pen(cute)
-1 pack of pacifica underarm deodorant wipes from ULTA
-2-3 rice crispy treats
-mix chocolate mini candy bars twix, snickers, m&m's
-$10 in 1's rolled in those plastic spiders

Not sure what else I wanted to incide a paul Mitchell curl gel but its $20 and I wanna make sure theres no issues with sendy a plastic pumpkin pail

Finding that balance is so hard! Hugs to both of you! She will fly in her time and her way...it's just a little different than you thought it would be.

Beautifully said!!

Thanks for the well wishes and messages too. She is coming home Friday. I'm torn. Mom wants to cover her baby bird and see her fly too. Know what I mean?

You know your DD and you know what she needs. Remember the most important things: Health, Happy, Safe.
Best wishes and lots of hugs to you both.

Thanks for the well wishes and messages too. She is coming home Friday. I'm torn. Mom wants to cover her baby bird and see her fly too. Know what I mean?

:grouphug: I'm sure it will be a relief to see her not be miserable. Best wishes in finding the next step.

Sunday after work DD and her roommates carved pumpkins. They were very cute! She said that was the first time they all hung out together and there was no awkwardness. It's hard to find a time that all 4 are around. She's been wanting a group picture but it didn't happen Sunday either. I think soon they are going to have a "feast" together with a rotisserie chicken and sides.

She'd still like to meet more people but isn't sure how. She may try reading in a public space in the wellness center and see if anyone strikes up a conversation. She also will probably try a Christian group Thursday night. It's a little harder with the apartment style living and it being a community college with a lot of commuters and fewer campus activities. And she basically only takes graphic design classes, so she's not having classes with a large cross-section of students.

Is she coming home from school or for just the weekend? Its really hard to know when they are ready and to find the right launch pad for them.

We get to see DD this weekend-yay!!!!!1 Its been a month since we've last seen her. This is the longest we've ever gone without seeing her. I'm trying to put her Halloween care package together. its a pumpkin head plastic candy holder kids take trick or treating. it was only $1 at wal-mart. I just need to figure out best way to wrap it with clear wrap cello and tape or seran wrap and tape and send through he mail.
stuff I'm putting in
-3 mini packs of almonds, cashews and cranberries
-1 mini pack of sea salt almonds
-1 weird fuzzy type animal pen(cute)
-1 pack of pacifica underarm deodorant wipes from ULTA
-2-3 rice crispy treats
-mix chocolate mini candy bars twix, snickers, m&m's
-$10 in 1's rolled in those plastic spiders

Not sure what else I wanted to incide a paul Mitchell curl gel but its $20 and I wanna make sure theres no issues with sendy a plastic pumpkin pail
Check out http://www.collegeconfidential.com/ there is a a number of discussions on care packages. Somewhere I read of the mom who slaps an address label on the pumpkin and sends it off - no box/wrapping, just the pumpkin with goodies in it.
I used to add things from the party aisle, like paddle ball, sticky hands and mini basketball etc. These were always a hit with my DS. I usually created a package in a rubbermaid bin with a latch and handle, these sure came in handy over the college years.

:grouphug: I'm sure it will be a relief to see her not be miserable. Best wishes in finding the next step.

Sunday after work DD and her roommates carved pumpkins. They were very cute! She said that was the first time they all hung out together and there was no awkwardness. It's hard to find a time that all 4 are around. She's been wanting a group picture but it didn't happen Sunday either. I think soon they are going to have a "feast" together with a rotisserie chicken and sides.

She'd still like to meet more people but isn't sure how. She may try reading in a public space in the wellness center and see if anyone strikes up a conversation. She also will probably try a Christian group Thursday night. It's a little harder with the apartment style living and it being a community college with a lot of commuters and fewer campus activities. And she basically only takes graphic design classes, so she's not having classes with a large cross-section of students.
Good for her for being willing to put herself out there to find new people! So glad she and her roomies are doing well and settling in with each other.
Are there clubs etc. on the campus?

I'm sorry for those with sick kids and those trying to discover the right fit for them.

My daughter came home this weekend. It was wonderful to see her and spend time together. There was lots of her favorite foods and she's taking some back with her today.

She's enjoying school but having some issues making friends. This isn't a typical for her so I hope it'll play out ok in time.

Tell that girl to eat more at school! That seems very thin to me even if she's short. Maybe you can send her food via Amazon if she doesn't like the school's food.

Finding that balance is so hard! Hugs to both of you! She will fly in her time and her way...it's just a little different than you thought it would be.

I am so sorry @LilTinkFan. Like @bethbuchall says we all fly at different times and ways. I think it's better that she know this NOW and be able to withdraw from college instead of being unhappy and having crappy grades to show for it. She will find her way {{hugs}}.

I live 2 miles away from my DD and I have been able to see her a number of times since she moved into the dorms but now I am jealous of everyone's weekends. I have not spent any real *quality* time with her, just an hour here and there. We did get to see her 3 times this weekend as it was "Father's Day" at her sorority. BUT we had to drag her to two of the events. Somehow it didn't occur to her that she needed to be there :rolleyes:. We went to a "tailgate party" and we were the only parents without their daughter! We called her and picked her up to join us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter