• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Who do you send those to? I have only ever gotten one of those in the mail and it was to a relative that lives down south- We are not going to be doing anything like that because I know people that have gotten some and they say "sure they just want us to send a gift" so I wont send them.
My Mother In Law sends me a list of whom she would like them sent to family wise (this is her thing, I agree its a $$ grab but it makes her happy so I comply) then assorted friends and some of my family. I'm thinking probably the 25-30 range

It sounds like he has a wide variety. Very exciting time!

We are going with the photo card, but a nice tri-fold card. I was upset when I saw the school's announcement, it is ugly, and my boys are the ones who picked it out. Dang boys!

I am sending them to family and the close family friends that get the hand written cards along with the Christmas photo card. So we will order about 40 or 50.
I liked the photo cards from the announcement company, I thought they were pretty classy but DD wants the traditional. I remember when DS graduated I had about 20 of the identical announcements that came from assorted friends, the only difference was the name card and many also included a wallet sized Sr. photo.

I liked the photo cards from the announcement company, I thought they were pretty classy but DD wants the traditional. I remember when DS graduated I had about 20 of the identical announcements that came from assorted friends, the only difference was the name card and many also included a wallet sized Sr. photo.
Oh...that's what I can do with all those wallet size photos!!! Thanks for the tip. :)

Heard from Simmons College today- she was accepted with a 21,000 scholarship- only issue is it can not be used for study abroad where some others she got at other colleges can be used for study abroad.
Congratulations to her! I can't remember, what does she want to study again?

Congratulations to her! I can't remember, what does she want to study again?

Mathematics - so far she wants to be an actuary- but you know how by the second semester they change their minds LOL - originally it was bio but she took a summer program on it last year at Brown and decided that it wasn't for her so hopefully she will stay with actuary.

Heard from Simmons College today- she was accepted with a 21,000 scholarship- only issue is it can not be used for study abroad where some others she got at other colleges can be used for study abroad.
Congrats! My dd got accepted into Simmons as well. She's not planning on going as she got accepted into a couple of other college's Nursing programs. Her acceptance letter was reeaaalllyyy long, praising her on each individual accomplishment. *LOL* Guess they really read everything.

Our local CBS station is interviewing DS today at 8 am. Since he stayed up until almost 2 packing (against my wishes!), I hope he can pull off a good interview. Sadly, we'll already be in Hollywood by the time it airs. Throw some pixie dust his way in about an hour. :)

Our local CBS station is interviewing DS today at 8 am. Since he stayed up until almost 2 packing (against my wishes!), I hope he can pull off a good interview. Sadly, we'll already be in Hollywood by the time it airs. Throw some pixie dust his way in about an hour. :)
Too late for pixie dust, but I'm sure he did great! TV stations will often post interviews on their websites :).

And last night at 10pm the acceptance from CCNY came- but that is only the first step because she wants the Macaulay Honors college at CCNY so once they accept you in CCNY then you have to wait until March 15th before they tell you if you got into Macaulay---hurry up and wait!!

And last night at 10pm the acceptance from CCNY came- but that is only the first step because she wants the Macaulay Honors college at CCNY so once they accept you in CCNY then you have to wait until March 15th before they tell you if you got into Macaulay---hurry up and wait!!
Congrats! Ohhhhh man, that is like 45 days away.....ugh this hurry up and wait is exhausting

Can you somehow post a video of it here? That would be cool to see-or a link to the video.

I'm sorry! That is rough! We lucked out on the timing. Swim senior night is tomorrow, and they have no meets next week. He'll just miss a couple of practices. He does Sci Oly, too, but there isn't anything next week. He was hoping to do a team trivia event, but that isn't really a big deal.

Good luck again!
DS had his ub interview today. I went with him. He thought it went well but was much more formal than other college interviews he's had. Three people doing the interviewing. An info session on the honors college first. He was the first interview of the day. Then we had an engineering meeting where he got to talk to the head of the chemical engineering dept. I'm so glad that's over with. Now we wait till March.

He started his day with a 5:45 am hockey practice, followed by a dr's appt. Both before we headed to ub. Now he's finishing his robot for tomorrow, and has a musical performance tonight. Whew!

Last edited:
DS had his ub interview today. I went with him. He thought it went well but was much more formal than other college interviews he's had. Three people doing the interviewing. An info session on the honors college first. He was the first interview of the day. Then we had an engineering meeting where he got to talk to the head of the chemical engineering dept. I'm so glad that over with. Now we wait till March.

He started his day with a 5:45 am hockey practice, followed by a dr's appt. Both before we headed to ub. Now he's finishing his robot for tomorrow, and has a musical performance tonight. Whew!
I'm tired just reading this! Glad that interview is behind him and he can enjoy his weekend.

Congrats! Ohhhhh man, that is like 45 days away.....ugh this hurry up and wait is exhausting

It is crazy- I don't want to wish away her last year here and in high school but dang do I wish all this stuff was over!! Today she got financial aid package from Fordham- between Scholarship and aid she got 40,000- still leaves me with 30,000 a year!! I just sent in an appeal to them for more aid so will see what they come back with. Its not even the tuition part that is bad because only 10,000 of that is tuition- the rest is dorming, meals and books.

It is crazy- I don't want to wish away her last year here and in high school but dang do I wish all this stuff was over!! Today she got financial aid package from Fordham- between Scholarship and aid she got 40,000- still leaves me with 30,000 a year!! I just sent in an appeal to them for more aid so will see what they come back with. Its not even the tuition part that is bad because only 10,000 of that is tuition- the rest is dorming, meals and books.
The price tag really is just ridiculous! We are working on an appeal letter to Hofstra - Their housing is $16K which is significantly higher than anything else we have looked at - I'm sure proximity to NYC plays into it but still......OUCH

My DS went to college in 2008 - he went to the local state Univ, he really wasn't interested in going anywhere else. His entire 4 years with housing was less than 1 year of the "adjusted price(after merit/awards etc" of some of these schools. I honestly thought I had a clue, afterall, "we had done this before". I really had no clue at the price tag and what a racket this is. No wonder we keep hearing about all the youngins with huge student debt. Its not hard to do, at all, its shameful actually at what we are doing to our young people and their parents who are being held hostage by the Fed's student loan system.

So I called the financial aid office. It seems they need a non-filing verification letter from the IRS, but because Niece has never filed taxes, we have to either request it from a processing center in Kansas City by fax or go get it in person at a local office. However, it's tax season so the local office is swamped with no appointments available for almost a month. :scared:

So, I'm off to Fedex and I hope they still offer fax services for the public. The IRS claims, we'll get the letter within 10 days. We shall see.

I don't understand why I can't just submit a transcript of my taxes (which can be ordered on line and printed at home) which show Niece as a dependent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter