Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Allegations are another student. When I asked dd about it, she hadn't heard. I said well it's on the news, either you go ask someone or I will! She asked security at the desk and at first they said they couldn't confirm anything. So she pulled up the video I sent her from the station and was told it was handled. Then about three hours later she forwarded me an email the school had put out about the "alleged incident described on the news". Still upsetting.
I don't blame you! I would be upset too! I hope they really did handle it and put that student in jail. It should also be posted so others know who it is , maybe there are other victims. I will pray for that girl that was sexually assaulted. College should be fun and now her experience of college memories wont be good

Just talked to my dd, she said she had already heard of a sexual assault on the campus coming from the Title 9 faculty member. Plus one girl in her dorm in the hospital for alcohol poisoning. Yikes!

I'm ready to go get dd. Her university made the news. Documented sexual assault on freshman girl in her dorm! I know it's there but seeing it on tv is all too real!!!

OMG - so scary for both of your DD's!

So, we moved girls in on Thur and took them on Target run Friday during their 2 hour dinner break from orientation. They have been in non stop orientation stuff from like 8am until 10pm. Think the school Does that to keep them from partying too much or being sad and lonely too much. Something I thought of while at Target was to get them a plate, bowl and single set of silverwear to have for eating stuff in room. Hard plastic dishes so they won't break.

Just spoke to them and they asked for food. They said that the dining hall and Chick Fil A has been too crowded so they have just been getting salads. They said the hot line has only had pasta and they are not into pasta. Ugghhhh. Am home, 9 hours away. I can send non perishables. But nothing too good.

Just spoke to them and they asked for food. They said that the dining hall and Chick Fil A has been too crowded so they have just been getting salads. They said the hot line has only had pasta and they are not into pasta. Ugghhhh. Am home, 9 hours away. I can send non perishables. But nothing too good.
What about Amazon Prime Pantry? I talked to someone who used it at WDW last week.

What about Amazon Prime Pantry? I talked to someone who used it at WDW last week.

I sent DS a box of snacks from Amazon Prime Pantry last week. It was easy, except that in order to get free shipping (even if you have Prime), you have to add five "qualifying" items to the box. There was a list of qualifying items and I had a bit of a hard time choosing five that he would want. I ended up getting three packs of Gatorade and two assortments of chips. Then, I added Pop-Tarts, granola bars, etc. that he likes. It's not quite as easy as just choosing what you want and getting free shipping with Prime, but it worked out fine.

DS had his first week of classes and says it was great, but he's exhausted. They're really working him hard in his musical theater major. U Miami had the greatest move-in process this year. They hired a company to do "cruise ship style move-in." It was much like boarding a cruise ship in that someone unloaded our car and took everything up to the room. DS was sent to get his campus ID, which doubles as his room key. We were sent to park the car in the garage. The parking lots near the dorms were kept empty for the movers to line up their carts while waiting for people to arrive. They staggered the move-in times, so there was no wait to get the car unloaded. Upper class parents commented on how lucky we were to have this type of move in. Apparently it was the first year they did it, and it received nothing but glowing reviews! We met in the dorm lobby and went up to the room. His suitcases, bags from Target and Bed Bath and Beyond were all neatly placed next to his bed. All we had to do was unpack and set things up, which only too about 30-40 minutes. His roommate was already moved in so we had no problem getting around the room, storing luggage, packing up bags to recycle, etc. We made a quick list of things he still needed, and DH and I made a Target run while DS was in orientation the next day. It was such seamless and low-stress process.

I sent DS a box of snacks from Amazon Prime Pantry last week. It was easy, except that in order to get free shipping (even if you have Prime), you have to add five "qualifying" items to the box. There was a list of qualifying items and I had a bit of a hard time choosing five that he would want. I ended up getting three packs of Gatorade and two assortments of chips. Then, I added Pop-Tarts, granola bars, etc. that he likes. It's not quite as easy as just choosing what you want and getting free shipping with Prime, but it worked out fine.

DS had his first week of classes and says it was great, but he's exhausted. They're really working him hard in his musical theater major. U Miami had the greatest move-in process this year. They hired a company to do "cruise ship style move-in." It was much like boarding a cruise ship in that someone unloaded our car and took everything up to the room. DS was sent to get his campus ID, which doubles as his room key. We were sent to park the car in the garage. The parking lots near the dorms were kept empty for the movers to line up their carts while waiting for people to arrive. They staggered the move-in times, so there was no wait to get the car unloaded. Upper class parents commented on how lucky we were to have this type of move in. Apparently it was the first year they did it, and it received nothing but glowing reviews! We met in the dorm lobby and went up to the room. His suitcases, bags from Target and Bed Bath and Beyond were all neatly placed next to his bed. All we had to do was unpack and set things up, which only too about 30-40 minutes. His roommate was already moved in so we had no problem getting around the room, storing luggage, packing up bags to recycle, etc. We made a quick list of things he still needed, and DH and I made a Target run while DS was in orientation the next day. It was such seamless and low-stress process.
That was exactly like our move in. It was great especially since we had twins moving in and each in opposite campus dorms. Going to look at Amazon pantry. I don't have prime but might get it if this pantry thing comes in handy.

So, we moved girls in on Thur and took them on Target run Friday during their 2 hour dinner break from orientation. They have been in non stop orientation stuff from like 8am until 10pm. Think the school Does that to keep them from partying too much or being sad and lonely too much. Something I thought of while at Target was to get them a plate, bowl and single set of silverwear to have for eating stuff in room. Hard plastic dishes so they won't break.

I've used Amazon Prime and Pantry to send DD21 things at school but a couple of weeks ago I wanted to send groceries to her new apartment and used Instacart. In her college town, the order is filled and delivered from Kroger. It was delivered about 2 hours after I placed the order. It was much better than Amazon because I could include perishables and produce. She loved it! I loved it! and the prices were great- including coupons and sales on items. The first order was free delivery.

Seriously Google Instacart and see if it is available in their college town. I'm a dedicated Prime user but this was much better for groceries.

Last edited:
I've used Amazon Prime and Pantry to send DD21 things at school but a couple of weeks ago I wanted to send groceries to her new apartment and used Instacart. In her college town, the order is filled and delivered from Kroger. It was delivered about 2 hours after I placed the order. It was much better than Amazon because I could include perishables and produce. She loved it! I loved it! and the prices were great- exactly what you would pay in store including coupons and sales on items. The first order was free shipping.

Seriously Google Instacart and see if it is available in their college town. I'm a dedicated Prime user but this was much better for groceries.

The parents on our Facebook group were discussing different food delivery options. Apparently the front desk in our dorms cannot accept any delivery that is not sealed in a box. So obviously no pizzas or take-out deliveries even if they're pre-paid. They also can't take bagged groceries from shopping services. One parent said they won't even accept a case of water unless it's in a box and sealed. The Amazon Pantry box I sent was fine because it was boxed and looked like a typical Amazon package. Students can get food delivered. They just have to be in the dorm lobby to accept it when it arrives.

I just looked up Instacart. It's in all the surrounding area but not available on campus. I wonder if the reasoning is what Luv Bunnies said. The university won't accept that kind of delivery. Fortunately, my daughter and my parents live relatively close and could either deliver groceries or take him out shopping if he plans for it. So far, he's found plenty to eat, though.

So it hit DD hard that she was leaving last Saturday. She only had to pack clothes and her bathroom items she was still using Friday but she didn't do it on Friday. She hung with the boyfriend. She went to bed after 3:30am and I woke her at 8:30am and said lets go. Oh man it was bad for her; so much so I told her we would go move her in Sat let here come back home and then Sunday take her back. I also said I would come Wednesday (my day off) if she wanted and we would come down this past weekend, a day. Sunday I let her sleep in, I made lunch and her brother came along and she was just fine. Sadly her BF did apply to UofI but was not accepted. We heard of a male that got 36 ACT that was not accepted.

Anywho she has a super long narrow room with a long closet, she said she is all about the closet and she is happy. We did a target run there, got a six square wooden organizer for under the bed and a two square wooden organizer for inside her door. And a curtain, room darkening. Her room was hot, she only has one window the other girls has a double window with regular sized room. And a stand up fan.
We took both the car and truck Sat, the truck had her bike, fridge and TV, cause everything else could fit into the car, I said I was climate control vehicle- it was 91 degree there.

The dorm was organized! It is an one way street they had it seemed over 40 kids assisting everyone with unloading and for transportation they had the hotel type carts. As you drove up that street the tallest boy pointed at the drivers, then the dorm and then shook his head yes or no; if yes they had you pull over; as you opened the door they said no no you just tell us what to unload and they it all in less than 4 minutes. You could then leave your vehicle there for 30 minutes or move across the street to the parking lot. They took it and DD off to her room unloaded it all asked if u needed anything and then excused themselves for the next student. And they said pizza party at 6.

On Wednesday she said she was going to be busy with WISE program till 8:45pm so I would not need to come. And Saturday we went but she had engineering welcome until 3 pm. We took the boyfriend with us. Had giordanno pizza and walked down for ice cream. DH and I went to check out the Amtrak station. We took her a lamp Friday and she asked for 2 more towels. She is settling in nicely. Classes start Monday, she has biked to all her buildings/ classes. Her roommates are all good so far. One said she wants to pretty up the shower.

Last edited:
DD is on her way back again from the weekend. We did some cooking and I sent her with 3 servings of frozen beef stir fry, a container of roast beef, 6 eggs, a cucumber, a tomato, 3 pancakes and a hunk of angel food cake :) She was not particularly eager to go back, but did perk up a bit when I said her roommates might be headed back now too. So glad she is already friends with the 2 that have been there. She has felt a little sluggish and had a headache today, so hopefully she feels 100% this week.

She tossed around the idea of auditioning for the musical tomorrow, but more likely will just offer help with set painting if needed. She doesn't mind performing, but is not as into it as her sister. They are doing Charlie Brown, and she doesn't know if she'd like it, and what the practice schedule will be like. She'd like to get a job soon, and doesn't want too many things going on.

Just returned from taking DD last night - move-in was Thursday. She was a bit overwhelmed by the massive orientation activities -- DD is an introvert and it just got to be too much socializing.

What was really great was that they had the football team and other athletes help for freshman move-in - they emptied our truck and had everything upstairs in DD's dorm room in about 10 minutes.

DD's roommate is a bit of a girly-girl. Came with fridge, microwave, TV, and brand-new car. Everything was perfectly matched in mint green, from her bedding and towels to her desk supplies (she has a mint-green mouse) and decorations (a mint green globe and old-fashioned wooden fold-up ruler). DD is a bit geeky and a nerd, so it'll be ... interesting. Also, the roommate has a boyfriend in her hometown, so we're thinking there may be a lot of weekend trips home (in her new car...).

She was so proud of herself--got up at 6:30 a.m., showered and made it to breakfast. Showed up for her 8:00 a.m. class and found out it was cancelled. Now she realizes the importance of checking her school email frequently.

Well, I guess my baby is growing up. Today was the 1st day of classes and she has an 8am every day. She was up and on a shuttle at 7:15. Plenty of time to get to class.

She also is a bit of a geeky introvert but did things with 5 different groups of new friends over the weekend.

It's hard to not have her here but as long as she's happy, I'm happy.

Just got back from dropping DD off. She was definitely overwhelmed and a bit nervous. Her roommate seems nice but they don't have much in common - hopefully living together will be fine but I don't see them becoming BFFs or anything. I just hope DD finds a friend or two so that things don't seem so scary - she's pretty shy and a bit of an introvert, so meeting new people isn't easy for her. Fingers crossed!

My DD moves in tomorrow but she 'visited' her dorm today by following someone into the dorm and hitching a ride up the elevator to visit her room's door. Only the 'Badger Buddies' and RAs are there now. I would hope they are being a little lax on security now knowing how many eager Freshman are around. Good news: her roomie did the same thing! Better to be the same on the sneaky scale than one kid sneaky and the other straight arrow.

DD's first day today. Her classes start at 11am due to her cohort group. She had a two classes and one lab. The classes are with the same teacher. DD called me around 1:30 and said classes flew by fast! She had a good day. tomorrow is her heavy load so hopefully it goes good. She will have English, Math and Art w/lab. it will be a 5-6 hour day today was only
3 hrs.
DD is also an introvert and was a lil overwhelmed the week of move in day orientation week but she seems better now. The cohort she's in has 30 students and will be together M-Th all classes except for 1. Most of the cohort are commuters so onlu 3-4 are in the dorms :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter