Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Phase one of moving in was today. Well, on the way home from family camp Friday, we stopped by the apartments and got her key. The parking lot was a madhouse that day. Today it was very quiet. We moved in furniture and decor today, and did a Target run. We saw one roommate both times with her grandma part of the time, but it was nice to mostly move in without worrying about being in anyone's way. Friday we were a little concerned because her room seemed way smaller than in the model apartment. We asked to see the other girl's room to see how a full size bed looked in it and hers seemed bigger, due to door placement. However, today with her stuff in it, it actually felt pretty roomy and there is quite a bit of open space. We did decide not to take a dresser since her closet is big. Instead we took a storage unit that you put those fabric boxes in. Her room looks really nice.

Phase two will be next weekend, when we take her clothing and personal effects, and leave her there.

Reality is kicking in!!!!! DD had a last kickback last night with her friends. They had a great time and kept telling her they will miss her. A few of them want to hangout before she leaves . Looks like she's booked Monday , Tuesday and Wednesday with friends. Thursday we drive out and will spend the night since she has orientation on Friday at 8am. She moves in on Monday the 21st. Dh wants to do a trial packing run to see if mini fridge with freezer will fit in my car. Plus dd's matress topper, pillow, clothes, shoes etc-lol! Hopefully everything fits or we will rent an suv for movin in day.

DD's room mate asked her what side of the room she wants. She has been so good working things out with my DD and vice versa so I hope things continue to be positive. DD has her stuff in a pil in her room so I told her to start putting everything in the living room so we can see what she needs. She still needs to get her deodorant, loaf scrub, toothpaste, face wipes, bath cleaning supplies, Lysol wipes, hand wipes, art supplies for art class. I'm sure theres more

Phase one of moving in was today.
Phase two will be next weekend, when we take her clothing and personal effects, and leave her there.

That's so nice that you are able to move her in in phases! Less overwhelming!

Reality is kicking in!!!!! DD had a last kickback last night with her friends. They had a great time and kept telling her they will miss her. A few of them want to hangout before she leaves .
DD's room mate asked her what side of the room she wants. She has been so good working things out with my DD and vice versa so I hope things continue to be positive.

Your DD's roommate sounds great! I'm sure it will be a good match!

My DS showed his first sign of realty kicking when he got home last night. Last get-together with some friends. He said it felt weird and sad. He added that's nothing compared to what the next night will be :( First time he's shown any side of sadness. He's going to Six Flags with his two best friends - one since age two and one since age 5. Then hanging out and saying good bye when they get back. My heart is hurting for him.

My DS showed his first sign of realty kicking when he got home last night. Last get-together with some friends. He said it felt weird and sad. He added that's nothing compared to what the next night will be :( First time he's shown any side of sadness. He's going to Six Flags with his two best friends - one since age two and one since age 5. Then hanging out and saying good bye when they get back. My heart is hurting for him.

We were planning to move DD's furniture on Saturday instead of Sunday, but her BFF wanted to go to the State Fair with her Saturday, so we let her. They've had their ups and downs since Kindergarten, and especially in high school, but for the last year BFF has been a much better friend than she was for a while, so it will be harder to be apart. BFF is going 4-5 hours away. Then Saturday night the big group got together for probably the last time of the summer. DD is not particularly emotional, but there was a song played that almost made her cry. It's one that certain of them always plunk out on a piano when there is one around so she just really associates it with the group and it brought back all the memories.

What did your kid want to do on the night before they left for campus?

I am sure mine will just be at home packing- all her friends are leaving next week for school and she will have almost a whole 2 weeks without any friends left around here. No one she knows is staying home and going local so she will have a pretty quiet boring 2 weeks until she goes!

Our neighbors purchased a home right outside of OC Maryland so we had an adult trip this weekend to visit with them. We are taking our freshman daughter from NJ to FL on Friday and their 25 yo son who has lived at home is leaving this week to enter the Maryland State Police. We both tried to be positive about our upcoming changes. We came home last night and I guess reality set in and I have been crying all day as we tie up all lose ends. Sooo glad I took off this last week with her or I'd be a hot mess at work!!

She is not yet packed and I'm sure doesn't have everything she needs. Tomorrow we will run out to pick up as much as we can clothes/shoes wise. My husband has been at the Apple Store with her today gettting her new laptop and her cell phone screen fixed. Also on tomorrow's list is a stop at the bank to deposit her scholarship check and cash in her old savings bonds that will go towards her first years textbooks. I'll probably lose it in the bank!!

I finally got Niece to start packing. I think she has a very inflated idea about the size of her dorm room. This should be fun!

It was pretty funny this weekend. You could look at the stuff being taken in by the dads and tell if it was going to a guy dorm or a girl's dorm without seeing any kid around. Became a game. Wish I would have had time to just sit and people watch.

My son's rooms are pretty bare bones, just the basics-indoor outdoor type carpet, a poster, plastic bins. Girls not so much-fluffy rugs, wall hangings, book cases dad has to put together, bed skirts, decorative lamps and pillows.

It was pretty funny this weekend. You could look at the stuff being taken in by the dads and tell if it was going to a guy dorm or a girl's dorm without seeing any kid around. Became a game. Wish I would have had time to just sit and people watch.

My son's rooms are pretty bare bones, just the basics-indoor outdoor type carpet, a poster, plastic bins. Girls not so much-fluffy rugs, wall hangings, book cases dad has to put together, bed skirts, decorative lamps and pillows.
Did you see any padded headboards??? I so want to make them for my DD and her roommate, but they don't want them. I am trying to respect their wishes...trying so hard!

Yup. We got one of those and it is white! Crazy beyond anything. Who puts a white shaggy rug on a dorm room floor?

My daughter lol! I tried to steer her towards the pink one, but the white won out. I'm wondering how many weeks it'll last.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter