• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of swimmers.....

pittsburghmom

Mouseketeer
what swim bag would you suggest for practices & meets? Where are you finding the best price? Our swim club does not require a certain bag. Right now, ds10 is using a beach tote I got for a $1 at CVS summer clearance a couple of years ago. Would like to buy him a nicer bag for his birthday! Thanks!!

My DD is 12 and this is her 7th year of swimming competitively. When she was 7 or 8 she got the Speedo backpack (similar to the large 35l teamster). It's still in excellent condition. We bought ours from our swim shop and it has the club name and her name on it but I highly recommend swimoutlet.com.

These bags are great because they fit kickboards, fins (get a mesh equipment bag as well if he uses these in practice), towels, iPads, etc.

When my daughter started swimming we just used a tote we had hanging around the house. At some point I got her one of the swim bags that are typically sold at swim meets - kinda like a back pack but it lasted a long time http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-large-pro-backpack-22246/?color=17613 . The other thing I got was a mesh laundry bag for her to keep swim fins, kick board etc in - anything that would get wet during practice. I got one at the dollar store

DD was a swimmer for 10 years. We "hobbled" along the first few years using gym bags and the like, but I eventually broke down and bought her an embroidered (name and team logo) Speedo swim backpack. It lasted!! My best guess is that it saw DAILY USE for about 8+ years (she used it for high school swim as well as club swim in the later years) and never had a broken zipper or significant tear (I think I did a small repair on a corner once). Once she was older and had to carry her own kickboard and other equipment, the bag wasn't really large enough (even though it is quite big for a backpack) and she ended up carrying two bags most days. So I would say.... buy the bag! So worth it.... and I know for DD, it really made her feel like part of the team!............P

I have three swim team swimmers, so we cart a LOT of stuff to meets. I generally use a large 31 tote and just throw everything in, with the goggles clipped through the strap of the bag with a carabinier and our swim caps in a plastic bag. I've found if I give each kid an individual bag/backpack things just get lost.

Swim team for 4 years. We just use a good tote - same one that goes to the beach - and a 28 quart cooler for meets.

Spend some money and get a nice Speedo bag or backpack from Swimoutlet. Will last your swimmer forever. Mine had his for 13 years of year round swimming. And they'll have a nice bag to sew on their bars.

I did swimming at our local pool, and then competitive. I lived by my speedo bag! I still have it 15 years later. We also had a big mess carrying case for our kickboards, finns and pullies.

Ditto for the speedo backpack style swim bag. I bought one for each DS (total of 2 bags)embroidered and shipped for only slightly more than the cost if one bag. I believe it was swim outlet. I am checking my old emails for the receipt. If it was not swim outlet I will comeback to post.

Ditto for the speedo backpack style swim bag. I bought one for each DS (total of 2 bags)embroidered and shipped for only slightly more than the cost if one bag. I believe it was swim outlet. I am checking my old emails for the receipt. If it was not swim outlet I will comeback to post.

it was not swim outlet. It was metro swim shop (online)

Last edited:
it was not swim outlet. It was metro swim shop (online)

I have ordered from SwimOutlet in the past and had a good experience. I am a little leary of the MetroSwim website. It seems a bit strange as you have to put in a 1st choice and then a 2nd choice. Did you have a good experience ordering from them? They seem to be about 10-15% cheaper than SwimOutlet with a coupon code I found.....

what swim bag would you suggest for practices & meets? Where are you finding the best price? Our swim club does not require a certain bag. Right now, ds10 is using a beach tote I got for a $1 at CVS summer clearance a couple of years ago. Would like to buy him a nicer bag for his birthday! Thanks!!
My kids do a summer swim team. One year, the county championships fundraiser was a mesh swim bag. Like those drawstring soccer bags but a little larger. They love them bc they are lightweight, there's a zipper pocket for stuff and the mesh lets everything wet breathe. I guess it depends what he needs for the meets though. My kids didn't need much bc they rode their bikes to the pool and then they came home and changed, but swimming in the winter means change of clothing.

We have so many sports bags in the house...DS14 got a duffel with his school logo on it this year for cross country, DS12 "needed" a soccer backpack....etc.

Last edited:
I have ordered from SwimOutlet in the past and had a good experience. I am a little leary of the MetroSwim website. It seems a bit strange as you have to put in a 1st choice and then a 2nd choice. Did you have a good experience ordering from them? They seem to be about 10-15% cheaper than SwimOutlet with a coupon code I found.....

I have had good experiences with swim outlet as well. I buy triswim for my boys through them. I do not have any complaints with my transaction with metro swim. They even sent a follow up email to ensure I recieved the bags. I agree I was weary too, however my savings was more than 10-15% so I decided to give it a shot.

I picked the same color for both choices. I just purchased suits on their site yesterday and did not indicate a second choice color.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Pulled the trigger on a Speedo Teamster 35L from Metro Swim. The price was great, free shipping, plus there was a 10% off coupon code. Threw in a pair of Junior Vanquishers and came out to about the same price Amazon was charging for the bag alone. Ds will be thrilled!

My local Target has all of their swim gear on clearance for 50-70% off. They have Speedo googles, caps, bags, and snorkel sets. One of the Speedo bags is a packable mesh style for $4.98. This bag would be great for carrying fins, hand paddles, basically anything that is wet. My DD swam competitively from the age of 6 through high school and swore by her Speedo backpack.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Pulled the trigger on a Speedo Teamster 35L from Metro Swim. The price was great, free shipping, plus there was a 10% off coupon code. Threw in a pair of Junior Vanquishers and came out to about the same price Amazon was charging for the bag alone. Ds will be thrilled!

I hope it goes well! I would hate for something I recommended to go terribly. :(

I got the suits I ordered. They were great!

My DD just moved up a group yesterday so we added paddles and a snorkel to the bag. It's amazing how much those Speedo bags hold and how long they last with constant use.

I hope it goes well! I would hate for something I recommended to go terribly. :(

I got the suits I ordered. They were great!

No worries! Got my order 2 days after placing it! Got our 1st choice color picks for both the bag & goggles. Couldn't be happier, especially with the 10% savings over the other retailers. Thank you so much!! Now I need to decide if I am getting his first name or last name monogrammed on the bag. Leaning towards last name in case we want to pass it down to a sibling some day.....

No worries! Got my order 2 days after placing it! Got our 1st choice color picks for both the bag & goggles. Couldn't be happier, especially with the 10% savings over the other retailers. Thank you so much!! Now I need to decide if I am getting his first name or last name monogrammed on the bag. Leaning towards last name in case we want to pass it down to a sibling some day.....

Oh, glad to hear!!! We did last name, I thought easier to spot, since many of the kids have black bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter