Parents of Class of 2018 thread

My son was accepted to U of M too! Also Michigan tech. Those are the only 2 he applied to in Michigan. He got the presidential scholarship at Michigan tech. But it's still expensive! I'm really hoping he chooses U of M. His grandma was so excited when she heard. Lol. She lives over that way. We are in west Michigan, but U of M is still the closest he applied to. My niece graduated from Michigan State a year ago, and she loved it there. Unfortunately my DS has his sights on California. He's already been accepted to one school there, and is waiting on 2 other decisions. It's so far away!!

I didn't realize that Tech required more financial information be sent to them than the FAFSA, and since my daughter didn't really want to go there we didn't send them the tax forms they wanted. She was offered the Presidential Scholar merit money too, along with $400 for University Student Award, and they did send her three physics books out of the blue, which was a surprise. She was impressed by their gift, but won't be attending there. I am thinking Michigan is a good choice, but it is so nerve wracking going through this process and not being sure! I hope they give her some merit money but I don't know if she's at that level compared to the other students accepted there. She told me that Michigan bridges the gap between COA and your EFC, so we should expect to pay the full EFC from FASFA. I don't think she's tippy top for stats to get any of their exclusive merit money. I guess we will see when that letter comes. It is surprising to me how all of the colleges in the state have pretty much the same COA. For that reason I think she should pick Michigan because it is the top school in the state (and one of the top in the world). I think she would like State too, though. Ann Arbor is like 45 minutes away from us and Lansing is an hour and a half.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that Tech required more financial information be sent to them than the FAFSA, and since my daughter didn't really want to go there we didn't send them the tax forms they wanted. She was offered the Presidential Scholar merit money too, along with $400 for University Student Award, and they did send her three physics books out of the blue, which was a surprise. She was impressed by their gift, but won't be attending there. I am thinking Michigan is a good choice, but it is so nerve wracking going through this process and not being sure! I hope they give her some merit money but I don't know if she's at that level compared to the other students accepted there. She told me that Michigan bridges the gap between COA and your EFC, so we should expect to pay the full EFC from FASFA. I don't think she's tippy top for stats to get any of their exclusive merit money. I guess we will see when that letter comes. It is surprising to me how all of the colleges in the state have pretty much the same COA. For that reason I think she should pick Michigan because it is the top school in the state (and one of the top in the world). I think she would like State too, though. Ann Arbor is like 45 minutes away from us and Lansing is an hour and a half.

We had to fill out additional financial information and send tax returns for the California school DS is interested in. Since he is really interested in that school we did everything required. My DS wasn't really that interested in Michigan Tech, but he applied mostly because it was a free application, and I told him he had to have a safety school. He wouldn't apply to MSU. I'd love him to go there, because it's only an hour away. I tried to get him to apply to Grand Valley because he could even live at home. He already takes dual enrollment classes there so he could start as a sophomore or maybe a junior if his AP classes count. The admissions lady even called him, and encouraged him to apply. He's just not interested. I think it would be the most cost effective option. I think he's just looking for adventure. I guess that's a normal thing for teenagers. He wants to get out of our small town rural area. It will be funny if both our kids wind up at U of M. :)

I don't expect any merit money from U of M. I do wonder when that letter will come. I'm encouraging him to look and apply for outside scholarships. Every bit helps. I'm kind of annoyed he missed the deadline for the Eagle Scout scholarship. I think he had a shot at one of those. I feel like he turns his nose up at the smaller local scholarship opportunities. He thinks it's a waste of time, but I feel every bit helps! Also there are fewer kids competing for those so he has a great chance! We have some money in a 529 plan, and he has a good amount saved from working. It's still going to be hard paying for it. I remember when I went to college we could work a summer job and pay for a year of college. No borrowing money. Times are sure different. I never would have expected it to cost so much.

We had to fill out additional financial information and send tax returns for the California school DS is interested in. Since he is really interested in that school we did everything required. My DS wasn't really that interested in Michigan Tech, but he applied mostly because it was a free application, and I told him he had to have a safety school. He wouldn't apply to MSU. I'd love him to go there, because it's only an hour away. I tried to get him to apply to Grand Valley because he could even live at home. He already takes dual enrollment classes there so he could start as a sophomore or maybe a junior if his AP classes count. The admissions lady even called him, and encouraged him to apply. He's just not interested. I think it would be the most cost effective option. I think he's just looking for adventure. I guess that's a normal thing for teenagers. He wants to get out of our small town rural area. It will be funny if both our kids wind up at U of M. :)

I don't expect any merit money from U of M. I do wonder when that letter will come. I'm encouraging him to look and apply for outside scholarships. Every bit helps. I'm kind of annoyed he missed the deadline for the Eagle Scout scholarship. I think he had a shot at one of those. I feel like he turns his nose up at the smaller local scholarship opportunities. He thinks it's a waste of time, but I feel every bit helps! Also there are fewer kids competing for those so he has a great chance! We have some money in a 529 plan, and he has a good amount saved from working. It's still going to be hard paying for it. I remember when I went to college we could work a summer job and pay for a year of college. No borrowing money. Times are sure different. I never would have expected it to cost so much.

I hope that some scholarship money materializes, my kid seems to have fizzled out on wanting to write essays and put any more effort into private scholarships (the list her high school gave her is really limited to very specific criteria that she doesn't meet). She is going to a scholarship competition at State later this month, and one at Wayne, too, but I don't think Michigan has anything like that. She doesn't qualify for any of the scholarships on their list at all, unless we are direct descendants of a WWII soldier, sigh :(.

unless we are direct descendants of a WWII soldier

Not sure how serious you were but if there is a national scholarship for direct descendants of a WWII soldier could you share the name. I am the child of a WWII Army vet though he passed away in 2015. I hear you on not qualifying. We make too much for low income but not enough for full pay regardless of what FAFSA may say. Many small scholarships are for low income, first generation college student, diverse students etc none of which my daughter qualifies for

Not sure how serious you were but if there is a national scholarship for direct descendants of a WWII soldier could you share the name. I am the child of a WWII Army vet though he passed away in 2015. I hear you on not qualifying. We make too much for low income but not enough for full pay regardless of what FAFSA may say. Many small scholarships are for low income, first generation college student, diverse students etc none of which my daughter qualifies for

The scholarship I was referring to was on University of Michigan's list, I don't think it was for just any school. (I could have been wrong and it was WWI vet descendants, so don't take my word for it), I was just showing an example of how specific the scholarship criteria were and how my daughter isn't able to apply to any of them. She is a first generation student, but that's not enough of a hook to help pay for college. We also make enough money to not get any aid, but don't feel rich enough to finance $22,000 a year for school. I don't know what schools you are looking at, but if Michigan has that veteran descendant scholarship, I would think others may have something similar?

Going to look into that. My daddy was in WWII army.
DD still hasn’t started last application (she doesn’t want to write that essay. Finals are 22-24 then off 25-28. Hoping she will get it done and send out a few letters for scholarships too.

Lots of MI talk-can I ask some questions? My 2019 kid is really interested in MI State and we are planning a trip there in February, weather permitting. He wants to major in computer science and has good stats. What could you tell me about the school and area? I know it's really large but what is the atmosphere like?

Thanks for any info! I'm really looking forward to taking him and hope we don't have to cancel for weather. Also, if you have any must see/eat/do, we'd love suggestions. We're planning to go to a hockey game and have a Saturday tour scheduled.

Thanks!

Not a parent but am an aunt. And that she is the youngest of my five nephews and two nieces. And that she wants to go to Walter State College in TN. She is growing up it seems like only yesterday!

Lots of MI talk-can I ask some questions? My 2019 kid is really interested in MI State and we are planning a trip there in February, weather permitting. He wants to major in computer science and has good stats. What could you tell me about the school and area? I know it's really large but what is the atmosphere like?

Thanks for any info! I'm really looking forward to taking him and hope we don't have to cancel for weather. Also, if you have any must see/eat/do, we'd love suggestions. We're planning to go to a hockey game and have a Saturday tour scheduled.

Thanks!

I have lived in MI all my life but I can't tell you a thing about State besides their mascot is a Spartan, and also that they are a huge rival to University of Michigan. I have never been to that campus, have only been to that area to visit the state capital. I won't have any information or opinion unless my daughter actually chooses that school. She has done her tours or experiences at the "local" colleges by herself with her friends, or her school set up a couple of them.

I hope that some scholarship money materializes, my kid seems to have fizzled out on wanting to write essays and put any more effort into private scholarships (the list her high school gave her is really limited to very specific criteria that she doesn't meet). She is going to a scholarship competition at State later this month, and one at Wayne, too, but I don't think Michigan has anything like that. She doesn't qualify for any of the scholarships on their list at all, unless we are direct descendants of a WWII soldier, sigh :(.

My kid has no interest in writing more essays. He is definitely over that. Lol. One I was trying to get him to enter is the Lake Michigan credit union Hutt scholarship. It's $2000. I know not a huge amount of money, but he could at least try! Any amount helps. Deadline is January 31. It's on their website if your interested.

My kid has no interest in writing more essays. He is definitely over that. Lol. One I was trying to get him to enter is the Lake Michigan credit union Hutt scholarship. It's $2000. I know not a huge amount of money, but he could at least try! Any amount helps. Deadline is January 31. It's on their website if your interested.

Thanks for the info! I passed that along to my daughter, who promptly responded that she's too busy trying to pass calculus to write an essay :teacher: lol. Lord help us!

My daughter was working on 2 essays over Christmas break but never got them finished. She knows she needs to do them to apply to the next 2 colleges but I'm not sure how she'll get them done now that school has started back up.

I just got notice from the High School that it's time to pay the Graduation Fee. Before I know it she'll be done with High School! Yikes.

:yay: To all the other Michigan peeps. I've got one looking at Western Michigan and Saginaw Valley. I have a financial aid question, though. When do the full award letters usually show up? We did the FAFSA the first week it was available, and she got her acceptance letters a while ago. I'm not sure when to be looking for those $$ letters.

:yay: To all the other Michigan peeps. I've got one looking at Western Michigan and Saginaw Valley. I have a financial aid question, though. When do the full award letters usually show up? We did the FAFSA the first week it was available, and she got her acceptance letters a while ago. I'm not sure when to be looking for those $$ letters.

My daughter already got two school financial aid letters (from Michigan Tech and Wayne State), I think the other schools we are waiting on are going to take a few more weeks. Oakland University hasn't actually given her an acceptance, but they are telling her her financial aid package is on hold because her SS number doesn't match their records. She definitely has the stats to get in and actually get free tuition there so I don't know why they are backwards. She doesn't really want to go there so hasn't called them to straighten out her SS number situation. I think she will just to have one more letter on her pile, though, lol.

My daughter has 6 acceptances and aide offers from 5 (basically merit plus $5500 loan offers). No idea about the 6th one but they have sent her at least 4 acceptance letters. The last two she won't hear from until March.

Her spring dual enrollment classes start Tuesday. There was a little mix up with her fall Calculus grade. The professor offers 1 make up session for anyone who needs it for the final. He marks grade as in progress until after the make up. I guess he does that because grades are due earlier since the make up was Jan 2nd. Somehow he accidently coded the in progress wrong and the computer gave everyone an F in the class and sent out an automated email about the retake. My daughter was devastated to get an F but also confused since her grades prior to the exam where all As and Bs. It wasn't until everyone showed up for the retake that the professor figured out what happened.

So by Jan 3rd the grade was corrected. However the dual enrollment coordinator at the college saw the failing grade for my daughter and another high school student in the class. I guess she thought maybe the high school would take them out of dual enrollment or their schedules would change. When dd went to the meeting Wednesday at the high school to get her books for the spring classes she didn't have a single book. The high school guidance counselor who runs the dual enrollment program on the high school side said the college person is out until Wednesday and hopefully she can get the books next week. Hopefully they won't need to use books for the first day of classes and it gets straightened out asap. She was annoyed that she went to the meeting just to get a printout of her schedule that she could have printed at home. The other boy from the class didn't get book either.

Thanks for the info! I passed that along to my daughter, who promptly responded that she's too busy trying to pass calculus to write an essay :teacher: lol. Lord help us!

Last night my DS said he was going to go upstairs to write the essay for that Hutt scholarship. He said since its Hutt like Jabba the Hut. Lol. He is a huge Star Wars fan. He even has a yoda credit card. Whatever it takes I guess. Well it could be that I stuck the flyer on his door twice. It has been in our statement the last 2 months. Or it could be that his dad got an email about it and forwarded it to him. Maybe nagging does pay off. :)

I think my kid is too burned out to do any scholarship essays. She's been busy with midterms, research, and a lot of other school obligations. She told me that nobody wins scholarships because there are too many people vying for the same award. I can't believe she's so smart and hasn't figured out that YES someone does win them and it could be her. The problem is that the essays are all so unique, she can't really spend time on a good one and just recycle it, unfortunately.

I think my kid is too burned out to do any scholarship essays. She's been busy with midterms, research, and a lot of other school obligations. She told me that nobody wins scholarships because there are too many people vying for the same award. I can't believe she's so smart and hasn't figured out that YES someone does win them and it could be her. The problem is that the essays are all so unique, she can't really spend time on a good one and just recycle it, unfortunately.

My DD Hasn’t done any yet either. Finals M-W next week. Says she’ll start after that.

She did decide not to apply to her 5th school. Just didn’t want to write that essay and a bit farther out than she wanted.

Should be hearing from next school soon.

I'm kind of glad our school district got the waiver to start school in August this year. My kids had finals before winter break. It was nice for them to have 2 full weeks off with no school worries. Of course my seniors teachers told the kids use this time to work on scholarship applications. Of course my DS did not do that. I didn't bug him about it (too much) over break. He never relaxes so I wanted to let him have that time. I was annoyed at first when our school announced they were starting so early, but I can definitely see the benefit.

They had a representative from our county community foundation come in to talk to the kids about scholarships. Apparently they can apply to 10 scholarships with one application. I scrolled through about a quarter of the list, and my DS does qualify for some. Of course there a lot he won't qualify for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter