• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents Gifts

We have been batting this around for awhile as well. My mom never got a little blue box and I originally wanted to do something like that-but she only wears gold and that would have been too expensive.

A few years ago we stopped giving my parents gifts per-say. Instead we give them experiences. For the wedding we are thinking about Cirque Du Soliel tickets and dinner. I think they would love it! We want to go back. Since the show is done both at stage level and higher- we missed a ton! We had to get the DVD just to be able to see all of it!

I have no clue what we will be doing for DF's mom. :confused3 I might leave that up to DF.

HTH

I got my mom a gift certificate to get her nails done before the wedding. I got my dad a White Sox tie to wear to the wedding since he is obsessed with them. I just wanted to get something really practical that they would actually use and want. Parent's are really difficult to shop for :confused3

I gave my Dad a classic pocket watch & my Mom a sterling silver wedding album, they both were engraved with a note from me.

my dad a personlized ipod with some of his favorite showes.

my in-laws. I'm not sure.

I had a frame with a poem "To My Parents on My Wedding Day" which I got for my parents. We also paid for them to "Dine with an Imagineer" since they are huge Disney fans and had always wanted to do this experience.

I bought my frame at a Hallmark store, but I just found this one online that can even be personalized.
http://www.personalizationmall.com/...t=dept&sdestid=1101&storeid=7&categoryid=1101

For my MIL we gave her a hopper pass to the parks which she refused :mad: (long story, but it was a good idea in theory).

Um, we're not doing anything. We're paying for it all and were not having any attendants, not having a rehersal dinner, so we figure no need for extra gifts. Are we horrible children? :scared:

I gave my parents, inlaws and aunt & uncle wedding albums, they were pretty thick, and were 5x7

Um, we're not doing anything. We're paying for it all and were not having any attendants, not having a rehersal dinner, so we figure no need for extra gifts. Are we horrible children? :scared:

Just give them copies of your favorite pics after the wedding :thumbsup2

my dad a personlized ipod with some of his favorite showes.

my in-laws. I'm not sure.

This is my favorite idea I have ever heard! I want to steal it! My dad has tons of favorite music on tapes that he recorded himself and he never ever listens to it since tapes are obviously antiquated. He has wanted to put it all onto his ipod since ipods came out. like 3 years ago he bought a machine to try to do it and has never and I don't think will ever get around to it. So I am going to send all of tapes out to be done and put them on a new ipod for him.

My Moms birthday is 2 days after the cruise ends and her two best friends are coming along. So I might merge it with a birthday present and do something big for the three of them either on the cruise or at WDW.

Just give them copies of your favorite pics after the wedding :thumbsup2

That's a Christmas present! :lmao:

Seriously, though, since we're paying for everything ourselves and keeping it somewhat low-key, the thought of giving our parents gifts never crossed our minds. I don't think it's always necessity, it all depends on the circumstances.

My son was married two years ago. At the rehearsal dinner, he and his wife read a beautiful poem to us parents and then presented each set of parents with a shadow box. Ours has a picture of the three of us, the poem and some other things in it. There was an empty space for a picture of him in his tux. Instead of just him, I put the picture he and my daughter-in-law put in the paper announcing their wedding.

It's one of my most cherished posessions. (Besides the ultrasound picture now hanging on my fridge!)

No way! Isn't the whole parents' gift thing a way to thank them for their contribution to your wedding? If you're paying for the wedding yourselves I don't see the need.

We got engraved glass frames from Arribas Broes, with the Mickey and Minnie Bride and Groom, and put our favorite photo from our MK session in them.

For the BMs, I purchased pearl earrings and pendants and for the GM, my hubby got "Soju Bells" from Korea (where he was stationed at the time).

What gifts did you get for your parents on your wedding day?

Need some ideas :)

TIA

We are trying to figure this out as well. Here are some of our ideas so far:

My mom: A weekend getaway. She is doing a lot for the wedding. Wedding are such a memorable day and I would like to give her a really memorable day and do something nice just the two of us. I'm not sure where we are going yet, but I'd like to make an event of it.

My Dad: He is the one who has given me a love for photography, so I'd like to do something with pictures. Not really sure what yet, but maybe an album leading from childhood to the wedding with lots of our memorable moments.

My fiances parents: They are the harder ones, I'd like to do something sentimental, but I thin it would be better for my fiance to come up with a meaningful idea, so I'll let him think about this.

The other idea we are thinking is doing a thank you dinner with just our parents and siblings the night after the wedding, to thank them for everything they have done, not sure yet, but it is a possibility

Thanks for the ideas!

My issue is that my Mom doesn't like anything - spa gifts, activities, shows, dinners with my Dad, shopping, statues, frames - nothing!

I was thinking of a tour, but my sis and her fiance, and my brother and his girlfriend are there....I'm not paying for them to go on a tour! And my family is all in town and it would take a chunk of time!

So what am I to do???

I'm not really concerned about DF's parents....don't really want to get them anything :laughing:

We ended up giving my parents our "free" annual passes for having a wedding at Disney. My parents are DVC members and go to Disney 2-3 times per year. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have even thought of Disney for a wedding. Not to mention that with DF and I still in school debt, wanting to buy a house, etc. we can't get nearly enough use out of them.

As for the in-laws, I hadn't really given it much thought. I can think of so many for my parents like a photoshoot in the parks, etc. I think that the Cirque du Soleil might be a good solution for the in-laws. But since they haven't been to Disney, maybe they would rather just soak up the parks while they're here. I think like most everyone else, I'll leave this to DF.

We're paying for our wedding ourselves, but since our wedding is so close to Christmas we're grouping the parents' gifts as Christmas presents. For both the moms we're sending them on the Segway tour around World Showcase, FFIL is doing a ride-along experience with the Richard Petty thing at the speedway, and for my dad we're paying his way to the wedding (he's only staying for a few days so he won't have time to do any tours or anything, plus he's not into that stuff anyways).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter