Parents blaming others

So then every lake in Florida should have a sign warning about alligators? What about snakes? Or mosquitoes?

Every single bridge here (up North) has a sign that says beware, bridge freezes before road. When I was a teenager learning to drive I asked my Dad why they put those signs up, because I thought it was obvious. He explained that to visitors from warm climates it isn't obvious that a bridge can be frozen while the road leading up to it is not, and those signs are a relatively cheap way to save lives.

So I don't think it's too much to ask for the lakes that are specifically for families to visit, to have a warning sign about gators.

I always assumed the reason for the no swimming signs at Disney was because there were no lifeguards and it was a liability issue. Particularly because they allow/encourage people to go on boating excursions in the lakes.

If they get sued Disney would face a tough case. A completely hypothetical deposition:

- Pl. Counsel: So you have had alligators in seven seas lagoon before?
- Disney Manager: yes.
-PC : and you have a policy to eliminate or remove 'problem alligators'?
-DM: Yes, we have never had an attack before.
-PC: does an alligator have to display aggressive behaviors before it attacks?
-DM: I am not sure, I'm not an expert.
- PC: But you would agree with me that alligators can attack humans?
-DM : yes
- PC: and you knew that there were alligators on seven seas lagoon, or that they could access Seven Seas Lagoon.
- DM: yes
-PC: so why are there no warning signs to let guests know about the danger?
-DM: we have no swimming signs.
-PC: why not 'no wading or approaching the water' signs?
-DM: I am not sure.
-PC: why have you designed this area to look like a beach?
-DM: because it is part of the aesthetic of the resort.
-PC: and the sand continues into the water, correct?
-DM: yes.
-PC: so it would natural for some guests to wade into the water, it would be attractive to them to do so?
-DM: I can't say that.
-PC: Have you considered putting up alligator-proof nets to guard areas where guests could wade into the water?

etc etc.

I am sure that a good attorney would present a more compelling line of questioning but this would likely be the bent of it.

Not sure what liability laws are in place for wildlife in Florida, but they are not in the best position under normal circumstances.

This. Disney is gonna have a hard time arguing they didn't inadvertently create an environment for something like this to happen. But true, existing laws might end up protecting them. I think blaming the parents without knowing all the details is shortsighted.

I know this isn't going to be popular but I'm sick of parents blaming others when something happens to their children because they were not watching them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's the zoo's fault because the kid climbed a barrier and fell in. It's Disney's fault because they have wild alligators in their waterways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET OFF YOUR i-PADS, PHONES AND ETC AND WATCH YOUR CHILDREN!!!

Wow...I hope you receive the same empathy should something ever happen to you or your loved ones. Neither of those families to the best of my knowledge have "blamed" anyone. For goodness sakes the tragedy last night is maybe 12 hours old...you're post is pretty disturbing and disgusting considering the circumstances.

Accidents happen...you don't have to always have someone to blame. I'm sure these parents are going to regret their decisions every day, just as a parent of a child who was killed by a drunk driver would regret making the decision to be on the road at that time, even though it's to no fault of their own. Why don't you stop wasting your energy on being mean-spirited towards others, especially those experiencing heart-wrenching tragedy and do something productive.

All parents and all people have moments where they are not holding their child in a protective rubber-padded area, even you...you've just always gotten lucky, just as most people. Instead of being busy trying to kick someone else while they're down, just be grateful that tragedy hasn't hit you in that way.

So then every lake in Florida should have a sign warning about alligators? What about snakes? Or mosquitoes?

You're WAY over simplifying this. Not every lake in Florida caters to an international audience sold on the idea of fun and relaxation in a bubble designed to simulate an escapist environment where they literally invite you onto the beach to enjoy fireworks, a water parade, movies, etc. PLUS we're talking about a predator that rushes out of the water to snatch prey....joggers have been snatched from running paths in Florida. The family can't be faulted for going into bubble-mode when Disney sells that very notion. They have a responsibility to their guests...just like you would if you had house guests over and had dangerous exotic pets or weapons in your home.

There are signs at various public parks and rest areas that warn of gators and poisonous snakes. In particular, Fort Frasier Bike trail and the rest stop on I-4 near the Auburndale exit.

You're WAY over simplifying this. Not every lake in Florida caters to an international audience sold on the idea of fun and relaxation in a bubble designed to simulate an escapist environment where they literally invite you onto the beach to enjoy fireworks, a water parade, movies, etc. PLUS we're talking about a predator that rushes out of the water to snatch prey....joggers have been snatched from running paths in Florida. The family can't be faulted for going into bubble-mode when Disney sells that very notion. They have a responsibility to their guests...just like you would if you had house guests over and had dangerous exotic pets or weapons in your home.

Never once did I fault the family.

I live 10 minutes from the ocean. I have seen sharks in the ocean. There are no signs posted that there are sharks out there.

I know this isn't going to be popular but I'm sick of parents blaming others when something happens to their children because they were not watching them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's the zoo's fault because the kid climbed a barrier and fell in. It's Disney's fault because they have wild alligators in their waterways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least you were correct in announcing this would not be a popular post.

Two completely different situations, things happen, there needs to be no blame!

But the do have posted signs prohibiting people from swimming in the lake. Doesn't stop a lawyer from suing though.

Swimming and wading are two different things!

Never once did I fault the family.

I live 10 minutes from the ocean. I have seen sharks in the ocean. There are no signs posted that there are sharks out there.

No, I understand that, but your response implied that you disagreed with the notion for explicit signs at Disney, which is what I was counterpointing. Comparing oceans, forests, deserts what-have-you to Disney is apples and oranges...those things are generic examples you're using and aren't advertised by any specific corporation as a "fantasy getaway". My point is Disney has a responsibility since their promoting a particular experience as their product. So I agree signs aren't warranted at those generalized examples you're giving, but those of us calling for signage are specifically talking about Disney.

I just read an article written by a mom who is a frequent visitor to Walt Disney World. It's called 'To the Mom of the Gator attack at the Grand Floridian (WDW)' Here's how she starts:

"I am you. We have never met, I have never faced your tragedy but that’s all I can think this morning- “I AM YOU”. I have done what you have done. I have saved and spent countless hours planning to take my family on a Magical trip to see the Mouse. Every trip has it’s own expectations, hopes and dreams. Weeks of preparing and talking with my children about all the exciting things we will do and see. Finally arriving and checking into one of the many beautiful Walt Disney World Resorts. Wondering the property pointing out the different animals we don’t see at home, a gecko, an armadillo even a small gator or two........."

You can find the rest of the piece on her site here http://www.oneroomcabin.com/2016/06/15/to-the-mom-of-the-gator-attack-at-the-grand-floridian-wdw/

This could have happened to anyone.

RIP, sweet little one. :angel:

Having worked in national parks I'm amazed at how many visitors show up without having done any research on the environment and the wild creatures that live there. It's astounding. And despite copious amounts of signage, well placed literature, and live educational programs, bad things still happen. Accidents still happen. They happen to people who don't learn everything they possibly can about the park they are visiting, and they happen to the most learned repeat visitors.

Accidents happen. This was an accident.

Last edited:

How convenient for you! No amount of blame you put on these parents comes close to what they will place on themselves every minute of every hour of every day for the rest of their lives.

Do you have children? If so, I hope that nothing tragic ever happens to them.

You need to think before you post.

The original poster on this thred is so wrong for posting what they dd. Do you have any children? Do you live in Florida? Do you trust Disney? I am having a hard time tonight reflecting on all our visits. My children played on that beach and ran to the water with pails to make sand castles. Why did I let them? Because they were not swimming. They were playing. And yes I was watching them. I am not on electronics when I am in Disney. I am obsessed with Disney. I work for Disney. I TRUST DISNEY. I live in NY. I know Florida has gators. Did I ever think there is a danger of alligators swimming in waters where my kids are playing on a beach? NO. I am very upset and my heart hurts and bleeds for this family. And I am thinking twice about visiting again. I am mourning. So don't be so heartless and post about things that you have no idea.

We don't really know what happened, there's not enough information out to make a judgement like that.

So far, with the information that has been released, it does not look like the parents weren't paying attention at all as like PP mentioned, the father tried to pry the child away from the alligator. He would have to be very close to the child to get there in time to do that.

This is such a heartbreaking situation and I agree that it could happen to anyone. It's the type of thing that happens in a split second. I can't even imagine how the parents feel now, and the guilt that they must be feeling.

And even though I know there are alligators in Florida, and I have never even touched Florida water, ever, I have walked close to the water at least once (in many places where it is allowed to do so) and up until now, never considered that an alligator could just appear out of nowhere and attack someone. That was not something that was on my mind at all and I see now that it is a very real possibility. Even if you don't see anything in the water, there could be something lurking there.

Also, even though there are warnings near the "beaches", I always thought it was due to the water not being clean enough for swimming, not alligators. If alligators are a real possibility in those beaches, then there should be a clear sign about that very thing. Either this is not common or Disney needs to be more clear with their warnings when it's something as serious as this. I agree that it is a warning and I'll be extra vigilant if I ever visit Florida again.

It's such a sad situation and I'm hoping for a miracle even though it is unlikely. I'm also hoping Disney is truly supporting the parents and not just giving them a quick apology and some "compensation" and then ignoring the incident completely as they seem to do sometimes.
I agree. We are not from around the south but we know there are alligators in Florida but never thought of them being around Disney property. In the back of my mind I figured they had kept them out of the area because of all the beaches they had open for the guests to enjoy. I also thought the signs for no swimming were due to the water not being clean enough for swimming. I learned after the second or third trip there were alligators in the lagoons and other places from the pictures posted on the disboard not from signs set up on the beaches.

It bothers me to no end to see people sitting comfortably at their computers, judging the actions of a family who has lost a child.

None of us were there. The information we're getting is second-- or third or fourth hand. And if you were there, and you were on that beach, and you're smugly placing blame, then aren't you culpable?

Obviously, if Disney had any inkling that such a thing could happen, they would have prevented it to the best of their abilities. Knowing now that it can happen, I'm sure there will be some changes made.

But all of you who are so quick to assign blame: Why didn't YOU make a case for a change long ago?? Why didn't you write Disney, why didn't you mention it here? Why didn't you be proactive?

It hurts my heart to think of all those involved: of the family, of the divers, of the people at Disney having to make arrangements for the family. Of the police chief and the priest who had to tell that family that their child's body had been found.

I know because the internet is anonymous, it's easy to be unkind. That doesn't make it right, simply easy. I've read of people willing to "give a pass" to the parents for some of their actions. How very kind.

All of you who KNOW it could never happen to you because of your superior parenting skills, or the ones you know you'll posses when you have kids, or who KNOW that Disney is at fault because of what you think you know: please, be an agent for positive change. Take all you know and save some other 2 year old from an equally horrible fate in your own community.

Those of us who KNOW that, but for the grace of God and luck, it could have been us, will simply mourn what could have been and keep the Graves family in our prayers.

Perhaps the OP should read this article. An open letter to perfect parents. It's written so perfectly and says everything I could say right now.

Excerpt:
"A tragic and unforeseeable accident. An accident.

I weep for this mother and father. I am sick with anguish for the pain, agony, misery, and regret pulsating through their veins this very second. And I bet you are too.

But not everyone is.

You see, we now live in a time where accidents are not allowed happen. You heard me: Accidents, of any form, in any way, and at any time, well, they just don’t happen anymore.

Why? Because blame and shame."

Exactly. What happened to compassion? Why can't these parents look online and be overwhelmed with love and support, not blaming and finger pointing. Its's so sad. Link to the article below, it's a good read.

http://www.scarymommy.com/perfect-parents-put-down-pitchforks/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter