Parasailing at Castaway Cay

jendon1997

<font color=red>Been there. Done that. Going Back!
Two of my family members would like to try Parasailing at Castaway Cay. Neither has Parasailed before. Would you recommend Parasailing at Castaway Cay? Also, what time would you recommend so that it does not interfere with lunch, or other activities? Thanks a bunch!!

I did parasailing at Castaway Cay last May and loved it! The ride up is so gentle and it is awesome to look around up there.

As for timing - I suggest the morning. I booked the 3pm slot which was the last one of the day. All morning I watched them zip past us out past the breaker at the family beach (going parallel).

When it was our turn we were about 15 mintues late getting started (back-up from the rest of the day). They took us way out (my guess is the wind changed) so far in fact that DH couldn't video tape me from the deck of the Wonder like he wanted.

We got done so late that they really had to hustle to get us back to the ship (they had already called all aboard while we were out). We went so fast that we got soaked with salt water! This on the same day as our Castaway Club party so I only had about 15 minutes to shower and get ready.

I would do it in the moring and then enjoy reliving the experience all day long.

We did it last summer and loved it. You get a great view of the island and the ship. We booked an 11:00am sailing. This way we didnt have to rush off the ship too early. We had time to wander around the island, do some shopping, and take pictures. We were back just in time for lunch, then headed to the adult beach after lunch.
Be sure to take a camera up with you. We got a disposable one, specifically for that, in case we dropped it.

Would my husb. & I be able to go up @ the same time or just one @ a time?

Even if you are under the weight limit of 350lbs, which DH & myself are, it still depends on the wind conditions. My main reason for wanting to do it was to go up with DH. I made sure we made the weight limit before booking it for this very reason. Then we got on the boat and were told we had to go up alone. :rolleyes: I wasnt too happy about that, but in the end it was still well worth it. I was glad I did it.

my mom had this to say ,,, that when she did the parasailing at CC it was to short of a ride for the money and felt the ride she did in St. Martins was better for the money and also was not happy that she had to Double up with some one elses child...
so there u have it... peter

First of all, I am very suprised that they made the previous poster double with someone who didn't belong to them. Second, we parasailed in Feb. and had a great time. It was my 3rd time, and I enjoyed this trip the best. We scheduled our sail for 10:30. I found this time to be great. I was able to get a spot on the beach, enjoy a sail, then had the entire day to enjoy CC. I went double with my friend(she was too scared to go alone). I would have to say we were airborn for at least 15 minutes. We aslo got dipped in the water, that was sooo cool. CC parasailing was my best sail yet. The crew was nice and very entertaining. I highly recommend it.:cool:

When I booked my parasailing, they said the weight limit was 375. I've done this once before in the Bahamas & it was an awesome experience. DD & I are planning on doing it this time - hopefully together.

Originally posted by cathyrob
I would have to say we were airborn for at least 15 minutes.

I read in one of the Cruise Books that you were only airborne for 3-4 minutes. That was the reason I had decided to pass on this. Could there be that much variation in airborne times, was the book wrong, or does it depend on conditions or the number of people wanting to parasail? I'd LOVE to do this if we could be airborne that long.

Thanks!

My family parasailed on Castaway Cay on our 3-22-03 Magic cruise. They all loved it, they went at 11:30 and it worked great. I called DCL to book on the first day possible(60 days out) and it was early about 9:00am west coast time and that was the earliest time slot open for 4 family members to go together. I would call right away to get your pick of times.
Kim:p

Originally posted by Fins2TheRight
I read in one of the Cruise Books that you were only airborne for 3-4 minutes. That was the reason I had decided to pass on this. Could there be that much variation in airborne times, was the book wrong, or does it depend on conditions or the number of people wanting to parasail? I'd LOVE to do this if we could be airborne that long.

Thanks!

I had heard its about 7 minutes airborne and from what we experienced, I would tend to think that is right. We had 9 people on our boat and it took us a little over an hour.

I am terrified of heights & still want to do this. I LOVE roller coasters but get anxiety attacks on ferris wheels. Can't go anywhere near a balcony.
I want to try the parasailing (even if I faint going up) because I want to surprise my husb. that I'd actually do it with him & for him. He would be so excited to have me parasail with him and I'd love to experience it with him.
So, can somebody tell me what it's like taking off & landing? I would be very happy if you're only in the air 3-4 min. - not 15 min.!:p

We were in the air for about 7 minutes. Isn't wasn't bad -- I enjoyed it. For the price, though, I doubt I'll be doing it OFTEN.

So, can somebody tell me what it's like taking off & landing?

Not bad at all. And I was pretty darn nervous! You simply sit down, they speed the boat up and let the rope start going out, and UP you go! I felt like I was going to fall out for a bit, but then I started to feel more secure in the harness. It was a wonderful view up there -- and not breezy at all, which surprised me. But before they were taking us down (I doubled with a friend) a gust of wind caught us and took us WAY UP, which was... petrifying. At that point, I was starting to think... OK, lemme down now... Finally we came down and they dipped us in the water -- just our legs -- so a bit. That was fun!

We had the first boat out, which was good. Our boat broke, so we were the ones who backed everyone else up that day. :o We got off just in time to meet up with our group and go to lunch.

Thanx for the info. Katerkat.
The info. about the boat breaking down I could have done without tho. :) :) :)

:o Whoops! It actually wasn't that bad -- the rope wasn't winding correctly, so they stopped us before it became a problem. EVENTUALLY, the way the rope was reeling back in, there would have been a tangle, which would have been a problem. So it wasn't exactly broken.
The first time I was supposed to go parasailing, on our honeymoon, the stupid boat's engine broke and we never got to go. So I just guess I'm jinxed. (If I'm on your boat, jump off!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter