• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paraplegic Dad - Advice Needed please!

VicgirlBC

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. My husband is paraplegic and cannot walk at all. He uses a manual wheelchair and can easily self transfer out of it to another seating surface beside his wheelchair. We won't be applying for DAS as he can tolerate waiting in line. We are visiting Disneyland and California Adventure at the end of January with our two school-aged children.

My questions are:
1. Are there any rides he will not be able to go on? I read on the Disability Guide that Indiana Jones has stairs, so I'm assuming he cannot ride.
2. Are there any rides that we will not be obligated to wait in the standby queue for, but rather be asked to come back at an assigned time or enter through the exit?
3. We haven't decided if we should purchase Genie+ yet as the crowd levels aren't too high, what are your thoughts on this? Is there no point since he is a wheelchair user?

I'd love to hear any experiences or insight you can share. Thank you!

I imagine he'd have trouble with rides where you have to step down into a boat and then back up out of it, but I think a lot of them have one boat you can take your wheelchair right onto.

In Disneyland park, there are a number of rides that you will need to enter through the exit. You will be given a return time for those rides. Those rides are most of the Fantasyland dark rides, Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted (well still through entrance but with a return time), Space Mountain, Big Thunder. There are also some rides that have options for him to roll right onto without transferring out of his chair such Jungle Cruise, Small World, Buzz. For rides like Indy, there is an elevator that will take from one side of the line to the load platform, but I believe that is only if you can stand a few minutes, but if you can't stand for a few minutes, they will load you from the exit side. At each ride, they will ask a few questions related to transferring me and/or standing a few minutes. Answer with what he can do and the cast members will direct you where you should go at each step of the way.

For DCA, all the lines are mainstreamed. There are rides there that he can stay in the chair such at Toy Story, Little Mermaid, Monsters Inc, Webslingers.

Also in both parks, there are some rides that have a special car that can open a side to make the transfer easier. For sure, there are options at Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Luigi. Again, cast members will help you figure out your best options based on their questions about standing and transferring.

Have a wonderful trip!

Thank you so much for your thorough reply @KPeterso!

My husband cannot stand at all, so we will be prepared to let the CM know when we see them. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your thorough reply @KPeterso!

My husband cannot stand at all, so we will be prepared to let the CM know when we see them. Thanks again!

I am a Disneyland local and go a lot with my Mom in a wheelchair. She can stand and walk a bit, but she is getting older and those distances and minutes are getting less and less.

Please let me know if you think of any other questions as I am pretty familiar with most of the procedures now.

I am a Disneyland local and go a lot with my Mom in a wheelchair. She can stand and walk a bit, but she is getting older and those distances and minutes are getting less and less.

Please let me know if you think of any other questions as I am pretty familiar with most of the procedures now.
Thanks again! Do you think Genie+ is necessary for end of January? Or will we find the wait times okay, considering we will likely be sent through the exit or asked to come back at another time?

Thanks again! Do you think Genie+ is necessary for end of January? Or will we find the wait times okay, considering we will likely be sent through the exit or asked to come back at another time?

I honestly have never bought Genie+ as I also qualify for DAS. But with return times at DL, I really don't see a need at Disneyland. You can do a mainstream line and while waiting for a return time (or eat or just sit for a break). DCA might be a little different since the rides are mainstreamed. Weekdays may or may not be too bad at the end of January (depends on the day). Weekends may be a bit more busy. You can always try the first day and if you find you need it, purchase it then or for the next day.

Paraplegic dad here as well. I haven’t been to DL but we are WDW regulars. The only ride I have been outright denied is Peter Pan due to some fire safety BS. There are likely some rides at DL that you’ll use alternate entrance because the park is older. As for getting in and out of rides it is highly dependent on the individual but I have no issue getting on any rides. My biggest tip is that if he can transfer without too much work, do it. There are rides you can stay in your chair but the process can be annoying and I avoid it.

Paraplegic dad here as well. I haven’t been to DL but we are WDW regulars. The only ride I have been outright denied is Peter Pan due to some fire safety BS. There are likely some rides at DL that you’ll use alternate entrance because the park is older. As for getting in and out of rides it is highly dependent on the individual but I have no issue getting on any rides. My biggest tip is that if he can transfer without too much work, do it. There are rides you can stay in your chair but the process can be annoying and I avoid it.
Thanks so much! Yes he can self transfer with no issues, so I'll let him know your advice about doing so if given the option.

I'm also a paraplegic, here's the Disney guide for guests with mobility issues, and what rides you need to transfer onto the ride or stay in your chair. I agree with if your husband can transfer by himself or with assistance from your family or group, that's the way to go versus staying in your chair.
Thank you! I've read through that guide but wanted some on the ground advice for all the intricacies that most able-bodied folks don't think of. I really appreciate your posting. What has your experience been like at the parks? Were you given return times or bumped ahead? I'm trying to decide if Genie+ is worth it, but thinking it likely won't be. Regardless I will wait to buy it after our first day in the parks.

I'm also a paraplegic, here's the Disney guide for guests with mobility issues, and what rides you need to transfer onto the ride or stay in your chair....

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/
The above link is for Disney World.

Here is a similar page specific to Disneyland. Note there may be some differences because attractions were built differently at different times:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

The above link is for Disney World.

Here is a similar page specific to Disneyland. Note there may be some differences because attractions were built differently at different times:
Thank you! I actually didn't click on the link because I had already viewed that info, but thank you for the correction.

For rides like Pirates, and a couple others I can’t think of off the top of my head, there is a transfer device sometimes called a bump seat. It looks like a transfer board and a staircase had a baby 🤣 It’s called that because you bump your butt over to the top “step”, swing your legs into the boat, then bump your butt down the steps to the seat. To get out, reverse the procedure. Basically any ride where the seat is at or below ground level uses that transfer device.

Accessible Disneyland has many helpful photos. But it is not an exhaustive list of the Accessible ride vehicles or their design features.

Of note however, the picture they show of the Space Mountain vehicle is for WDW. The ride vehicle at DL seats two people in each row. And the whole ride vehicle slides away from the main track off to a “no-rush” loading area. Then once everyone is in, they slide it back onto the main track, and you launch.

There are a few things like the Submarine ride and Swiss Family Robinson’s Treehouse that have alternative ADA experiences (For subs it’s a darkened room and a video version of the ride. For the Treehouse, it’s a ground-level platform that you can wheel up to and see many similar things as in the rest of the Treehouse.)

There’s even an alternative experience for the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough. If DH is ok with it, it’s worth taking the kids through the walkthrough of the Castle and the Treehouse in my opinion.

When doing the alternate Subs experience, we’ve never had to wait, since there’s very little demand (or knowledge that it even exists).

Do not hesitate to ask if a ride has an ADA transfer assist ride vehicle or transfer device, aka transfer board. Also, the rides with moving walkways, can be stopped to let DH safely board.

If you ever feel like you aren’t getting the assistance you expected based on the guidebook, or info you’ve seen online, go to a Blue Guest experience umbrella, or calmly and discretely ask if there’s a lead you can speak to. There’s so much turnover among CM’s and it seems like they are often learning as they go for the ADA stuff. The CM can learn something to help the next person, and you can know that you did get the right answer if you just calmly ask a lead for more info. Like if they say there’s no way to take a wheelchair all the way to the Doombuggy at HM… there definitely is, but someone new might not know. (Not the best example… but the first thing I thought of.)

Have a great trip.

For rides like Pirates, and a couple others I can’t think of off the top of my head, there is a transfer device sometimes called a bump seat. It looks like a transfer board and a staircase had a baby 🤣 It’s called that because you bump your butt over to the top “step”, swing your legs into the boat, then bump your butt down the steps to the seat. To get out, reverse the procedure. Basically any ride where the seat is at or below ground level uses that transfer device.

[ }has many helpful photos. But it is not an exhaustive list of the Accessible ride vehicles or their design features.

Of note however, the picture they show of the Space Mountain vehicle is for WDW. The ride vehicle at DL seats two people in each row. And the whole ride vehicle slides away from the main track off to a “no-rush” loading area. Then once everyone is in, they slide it back onto the main track, and you launch.

There are a few things like the Submarine ride and Swiss Family Robinson’s Treehouse that have alternative ADA experiences (For subs it’s a darkened room and a video version of the ride. For the Treehouse, it’s a ground-level platform that you can wheel up to and see many similar things as in the rest of the Treehouse.)

There’s even an alternative experience for the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough. If DH is ok with it, it’s worth taking the kids through the walkthrough of the Castle and the Treehouse in my opinion.

When doing the alternate Subs experience, we’ve never had to wait, since there’s very little demand (or knowledge that it even exists).

Do not hesitate to ask if a ride has an ADA transfer assist ride vehicle or transfer device, aka transfer board. Also, the rides with moving walkways, can be stopped to let DH safely board.

If you ever feel like you aren’t getting the assistance you expected based on the guidebook, or info you’ve seen online, go to a Blue Guest experience umbrella, or calmly and discretely ask if there’s a lead you can speak to. There’s so much turnover among CM’s and it seems like they are often learning as they go for the ADA stuff. The CM can learn something to help the next person, and you can know that you did get the right answer if you just calmly ask a lead for more info. Like if they say there’s no way to take a wheelchair all the way to the Doombuggy at HM… there definitely is, but someone new might not know. (Not the best example… but the first thing I thought of.)

Have a great trip.
Wow. Thank you so very much for this post!!!!

I love your description of the transfer device and can picture it exactly. LOL. My husband will be able to manage that. He has a bum cushion that he can secure around his hips, which helps protect him. I know Pirates is a ride he'd love to go on with the kids.

I will definitely check out Accessible Disneyland, thanks for the link.

Yes my husband will have no issue with us leaving him while we explore things that aren't accessible, like the castle walk through. I'm so excited to do this with the kids!

I also appreciate your advice about asking and educating as we go. I can understand that many new employees wouldn't be experienced dealing with accessibility issues. Fortunately my husband is the most patient, kind and polite man on the planet, so he will have no issue chatting with the CM's about what he needs.

Wow. Thank you so very much for this post!!!!

I love your description of the transfer device and can picture it exactly. LOL. My husband will be able to manage that. He has a bum cushion that he can secure around his hips, which helps protect him. I know Pirates is a ride he'd love to go on with the kids.

I will definitely check out Accessible Disneyland, thanks for the link.

Yes my husband will have no issue with us leaving him while we explore things that aren't accessible, like the castle walk through. I'm so excited to do this with the kids!

I also appreciate your advice about asking and educating as we go. I can understand that many new employees wouldn't be experienced dealing with accessibility issues. Fortunately my husband is the most patient, kind and polite man on the planet, so he will have no issue chatting with the CM's about what he needs.
A great use of “divide & conquer” is for DH to secure your family’s spot for fireworks, or parade, etc. while you go wandering with the kids. Bring a couple towels from the hotel to help block space if you aren’t going to utilize the “reserved for wheelchair” areas. You need to get the person with wheels situated in that area of the hub about 45 mins to an hour early. The pathways begin to get narrower and narrower as the show time approaches, but if you are hoofing it, it’s easier to navigate. By about 15-20 mins before the fireworks start, the hub is impassable to wheeled mobility devices.

Keep in mind, too that sometimes the transfer devices seem to play hide and seek… so always ask back again if you’re told it was missing.

There are very few things that are just flat out inaccessible— most of which I already mentioned:
  • Tom Sawyer Island;
  • most of the Treehouse (although the new accessible area is an improvement, and probably all they can realistically do);
  • the Submarines (because there’s not really a different way to seat people inside. It’s *tight* in there);
  • Sleeping Beauty’s Castle (it’s not steep, but by necessity there are stairs)
I’ll edit this if I think of more later. I gotta get to bed.

A great use of “divide & conquer” is for DH to secure your family’s spot for fireworks, or parade, etc. while you go wandering with the kids. Bring a couple towels from the hotel to help block space if you aren’t going to utilize the “reserved for wheelchair” areas. You need to get the person with wheels situated in that area of the hub about 45 mins to an hour early. The pathways begin to get narrower and narrower as the show time approaches, but if you are hoofing it, it’s easier to navigate. By about 15-20 mins before the fireworks start, the hub is impassable to wheeled mobility devices.

Keep in mind, too that sometimes the transfer devices seem to play hide and seek… so always ask back again if you’re told it was missing.

There are very few things that are just flat out inaccessible— most of which I already mentioned:
  • Tom Sawyer Island;
  • most of the Treehouse (although the new accessible area is an improvement, and probably all they can realistically do);
  • the Submarines (because there’s not really a different way to seat people inside. It’s *tight* in there);
  • Sleeping Beauty’s Castle (it’s not steep, but by necessity there are stairs)
I’ll edit this if I think of more later. I gotta get to bed.
Thank you again SO, SO much for your invaluable advice!

I now see that World of Colour is scheduled during our visit. We have booked the dessert party for the early show on January 29th and made an accessibility request. Do you happy to know how the visibility is from this section for wheelchair users?

I also see there's a 7:30pm Mickey's Mix Magic with Projection on January 30th. Sadly there are no fireworks with it, but we are still excited to see it. Where are the wheelchair viewing areas? Do you recommend using them and, if so, how early should DH reserve our space there?

Thank you again SO, SO much for your invaluable advice!

I now see that World of Colour is scheduled during our visit. We have booked the dessert party for the early show on January 29th and made an accessibility request. Do you happy to know how the visibility is from this section for wheelchair users?

I also see there's a 7:30pm Mickey's Mix Magic with Projection on January 30th. Sadly there are no fireworks with it, but we are still excited to see it. Where are the wheelchair viewing areas? Do you recommend using them and, if so, how early should DH reserve our space there?
I’m unsure what the Mix Magic is exactly, but if it’s like most of the projection shows, there will be laser lights and projections on the castle, the buildings on Main Street, and usually on the IASW façade.

Some people will disagree but I like the view from the hub near City hall and the Emporium. (Blue arrow on attached picture #1)
From there you can see all the way down Main Street, very few people will be in front of you, usually, and you really get a good view of the projections all the way down the street. (See picture 2 for vantage point on the empty street… obviously it’s different with people, but it gives you an idea.) You won’t get a good view of the castle projections, but for me, I prefer the “wide angle view” of all of Main Street. You may prefer otherwise.

The disabled seating section is marked on picture 1 with a circled red star. They move it sometimes but it’s generally close by that area. Ask a CM if you don’t see a roped off section with blue wheelchair flags on the ropes. From there you’ll be able to see the castle relatively well. But you may struggle to see down Main Street. They may also have a reserved section at the City Hall end of Main Street, but I haven’t really looked.

Incidentally, either of the spots I’ve marked are good for viewing parades too. I’m partial to the blue arrow spot if I can get there early enough for parade #1 (from Fantasyland to Main Street). The floats and performers come directly toward you and you get an awesome viewing. Double check with a Main Street CM to find out which way the parade is traveling for the one you decide to see. If it’s coming from Main Street toward Fantasyland, then you want to be at the castle hub where I marked a Purple star.

It’s a good idea to be at the viewing spots at least 45 mins-an hour before any show or parade. Even if you have a reserved status, like the dessert party, 30 mins is a good plan.

The dessert party terrace is down a series of steps. There is a no-steps route available to that area during the day, but it may be blocked and difficult to access once the WoC “cattle call” occurs (you’ll see what I mean 🙄) There is a decent sized disabled seating section directly behind the dessert party terrace, so I’m pretty confident that your viewing area will be pretty good from from the dessert area too. However, I recommend stopping into guest services near CA entrance (on the left just past the “gas station” gift shop) to let them know your needs and confirm the area is accessible and that you’ll be allowed through. They should be able to provide access, but I wouldn’t wait until the time of the dessert party. Otherwise you’re going to be wasting time with the event CMs possibly being confused. The tables are also high-top bar tables, at least all of the ones I saw… so making sure they set up a lower table is another thing you’ll want to give them a heads up about.

I have marked on the attached picture (#3) the area where the dessert party is, and the disabled seating area behind there. I would absolutely make sure they’ll notify the appropriate staff to assure you’ll get access. For what you are paying, you shouldn’t be “close enough” while having someone in your party having to run back and forth for dessert items— which is what I think they’ll suggest if they don’t know ahead of time and try to figure it out on the fly. (FYI… when we were there, they were handing out “to-go boxes” toward the end… I can only guess it was to let you take extras. Hopefully, they’re still doing that. ;) )

Unfortunately, our experience with the event CM’s for WoC was not the best. It’s a long, ridiculous story that even Guest Services CMs were left scratching their heads over [one found it so funny that he had to excuse himself to go laugh “unprofessionally” (his word) backstage]. So, I wouldn’t take my chances if I was paying dearly to have VIP access. Personally, I would be “that guest”. Which, honestly is rare for me… but sometimes it’s necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpeg
    IMG_0019.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0022.jpeg
    IMG_0022.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I’m unsure what the Mix Magic is exactly, but if it’s like most of the projection shows, there will be laser lights and projections on the castle, the buildings on Main Street, and usually on the IASW façade.

Some people will disagree but I like the view from the hub near City hall and the Emporium. (Blue arrow on attached picture #1)
From there you can see all the way down Main Street, very few people will be in front of you, usually, and you really get a good view of the projections all the way down the street. (See picture 2 for vantage point on the empty street… obviously it’s different with people, but it gives you an idea.) You won’t get a good view of the castle projections, but for me, I prefer the “wide angle view” of all of Main Street. You may prefer otherwise.

The disabled seating section is marked on picture 1 with a circled red star. They move it sometimes but it’s generally close by that area. Ask a CM if you don’t see a roped off section with blue wheelchair flags on the ropes. From there you’ll be able to see the castle relatively well. But you may struggle to see down Main Street. They may also have a reserved section at the City Hall end of Main Street, but I haven’t really looked.

Incidentally, either of the spots I’ve marked are good for viewing parades too. I’m partial to the blue arrow spot if I can get there early enough for parade #1 (from Fantasyland to Main Street). The floats and performers come directly toward you and you get an awesome viewing. Double check with a Main Street CM to find out which way the parade is traveling for the one you decide to see. If it’s coming from Main Street toward Fantasyland, then you want to be at the castle hub where I marked a Purple star.

It’s a good idea to be at the viewing spots at least 45 mins-an hour before any show or parade. Even if you have a reserved status, like the dessert party, 30 mins is a good plan.

The dessert party terrace is down a series of steps. There is a no-steps route available to that area during the day, but it may be blocked and difficult to access once the WoC “cattle call” occurs (you’ll see what I mean 🙄) There is a decent sized disabled seating section directly behind the dessert party terrace, so I’m pretty confident that your viewing area will be pretty good from from the dessert area too. However, I recommend stopping into guest services near CA entrance (on the left just past the “gas station” gift shop) to let them know your needs and confirm the area is accessible and that you’ll be allowed through. They should be able to provide access, but I wouldn’t wait until the time of the dessert party. Otherwise you’re going to be wasting time with the event CMs possibly being confused. The tables are also high-top bar tables, at least all of the ones I saw… so making sure they set up a lower table is another thing you’ll want to give them a heads up about.

I have marked on the attached picture (#3) the area where the dessert party is, and the disabled seating area behind there. I would absolutely make sure they’ll notify the appropriate staff to assure you’ll get access. For what you are paying, you shouldn’t be “close enough” while having someone in your party having to run back and forth for dessert items— which is what I think they’ll suggest if they don’t know ahead of time and try to figure it out on the fly. (FYI… when we were there, they were handing out “to-go boxes” toward the end… I can only guess it was to let you take extras. Hopefully, they’re still doing that. ;) )

Unfortunately, our experience with the event CM’s for WoC was not the best. It’s a long, ridiculous story that even Guest Services CMs were left scratching their heads over [one found it so funny that he had to excuse himself to go laugh “unprofessionally” (his word) backstage]. So, I wouldn’t take my chances if I was paying dearly to have VIP access. Personally, I would be “that guest”. Which, honestly is rare for me… but sometimes it’s necessary.
Again, thank you so very much for taking the time and putting forth so much effort to reply. Your insight is invaluable and will help as we plan.

I will make it a priority to speak with Guest Services at both DL and DCA to ensure we know exactly where the disabled sections are and to ensure they are prepared for us at WoC. I do believe there are low tables for disabled dessert party guests (I think I read that somewhere).

We are getting so excited to visit!

I was also wondering what time we should plan to arrive at the park for rope drop. We don't have EE. Park opens at 8am, and was thinking of being there for 7:15am. Is there any special line for those in wheelchairs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter