• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paradise pier vs Disneyland hotel

Scotybo

Earning My Ears
Hey all,
Ok so I have not been to Disneyland since the early to mid 90's. Pre Calafornia Adventure. I'm coming over Veterans Day weekend for 4 days. A few questions. We go the World at least once a year and I know what to expect where to stay for the type of trip and all that jazz. I'm wanting to save cash but also wanting to make the most of everything. I was planning on staying at Paradise Pier. It is just me going solo on this trip. Any opinions on this choice. Good idea bad idea? How is the location? I am pretty much comparing this to a Wdw moderate. My reasoning, it's Nov. and the weather might be too cool for a pool visit everyday and it's a little cheaper and I can still enjoy all the restaurants and bars at the other resorts. I really wanna make the right choice for the time of year. So it's between the Disneyland hotel for the nostalgic Disney feel or the paradise pier. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Sorry to ramble. Also some restaurant picks are recommended as well. Oh and if anyone has questions about the world let me know. More than happy to help!!

Scott

My DH and I really love the PPH! It's just a short walk across the street through the Grand and DD to get to the Parks.

We also love the park-view rooms, love to see WOC to wind down the day.

If you search, there is a great thread with pics of PP.

My next stay however, (solo trip) is going to be the DLH. Can't wait!

We recently just got back from our Disneyland vacation and we stayed at Paradise Pier. We stayed in a standard room, but ended up with a slight view of California Adventure. We really liked PP. Our room had 2 queen beds and a couch that folded out into a bed. It had a standard bathroom, and a mini fridge in the entertainment center. It was directly across the road from California Adventure and Disney's Grand Californian. From our room it was about a 5 minute walk to the private entrance to DCA. It was a slightly longer walk to Disneyland. The pool was nothing special, but we didn't spend much time there anyway. We also ate at PCH Grill twice and thought the food was very good. We liked the supper meal better than breakfast, but the interaction at breakfast was a lot of fun.

I really don't think you can go wrong with PP.

That time of year - I do think the PPH hotel would be great. If you were at DLH you would be going back to the hotel via Downtown Disney. Staying at PPH you will cut through GCH. The fire will be going in the lobby. Somebody will probably be playing the piano. You can still back and relax - Maybe have an adult beverage.

There were always people walking back to PPH so I never was concerned about walking alone.

PPH is out favorite. We stayed at the DLH last trip and I don't think I will stay there again. It has jumped up in price since the remodel, and I don't think it's worth it. The hotel is wayyyyy busier, louder, and less relaxing. The pool area was full of kids running all over the place (where were the parents?!). The PPH just feels more mellow, more quiet, more relaxing. And you can't beat the price. Way less expensive than the DLH. And the walk is just as far as the DLH.

I have been going to Disneyland since it opened in 1955, and since I stayed at all 3 of the Disney hotels in DLR I can honestly say I prefer teh Paradise Pier to all the others.
Since you will be solo, you probably won't need a view of the park room, the pool view is fine, that's usually what I get. When my wife and I go we reserve a king bed, with grandkids we get the 2 queens.
I am handicapped and get around with my ECV and never have a problem getting in the park. You can get tickets at the hotel, then travel to Downtown Disney (a city block away) and get on the Monorail (a half block away, and you're in the park. To go to DCA you just travel down Main Street and cross the Esplanade to the DCA entry (a half block across from Disneyland entry).
We will be there October 29, 30, and 31.

We are more seasoned WDW travelers than DLR so I just wanted to give you a comparison opinion.

We stayed at PPH in July and I will say, if we can we will definately choose DLH next time. Your comparison of PPH as a "mod" is off in that there are no grounds, no green space. I didn't realize I would miss this but did. It just kinda felt like a hotel. The rooms themselves seemed pretty Disney but the lobby/grounds were lacking.

That being said I had no problems with PPH and would stay here again if I couldn't squeeze DLR into our budget.

Since you will be solo, you probably won't need a view of the park room, the pool view is fine, that's usually what I get. When my wife and I go we reserve a king bed, with grandkids we get the 2 queens.

Totally disagree with this. I would totally want the Park View room if I was travelling solo. Coming back to the room and relaxing with a glass of wine from room service watching WOC...heaven.

By the way, you can request a King size bed, but they won't guarantee you will get it. This happened on my last trip, I requested one three times and I still got the two queens.

For our Christmas trip every year we stay at Grand Californian (DVC members home resort), the rest of the times we go we stay at Disneyland Hotel. The last time that I stayed at Paradie Pier was St. Patricks Day 2009 or 2010 and we had a California Adventure park view and the hotel was pretty good, it is a walk but you can cut through GC to get to California Adventure. We are staying again at PP next week and will see if it is any better then last time since part of it looked like it needed to be remodeled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter