• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parades & Rain?

1st*toright

DIS Veteran
Lots of discussion of rain/thunderstorms today given the forecast for the next 10 days. Here is my question - what is the threshold for cancelling the 3 o'clock parade? Do they often call it off because of rain? If they do the parade even if there is some precipitation, is it less fun in the rain (setting aside our tolerance/lack thereof for being soggy).

Also, will outdoor character meets (like peter pan) still happen in the rain?

They wait for the last possible moment to cancel. So they won't tell you at 2:30 or 2:45 that the parade is cancelled.
If the parade steps out on time and it starts to rain they run the entire parade, no going in reverse, the dancers will just walk and wave, no choreography
If rain starts before 3 and it looks like it will continue raining but not lightning they sometimes run the rain parade, dancers in ponchos and umbrellas, characters on the various main street vehicles (you can watch on youtube)
outdoor characters that don't have cover will not come out in rain
Peter has a roof so unless it's lightning he should be out

Be sure to keep an eye on the weather. Last time we watched the skies were threatening and the actually stepped the parade off early.

Ha! If you only look at Friar Tuck it looks like that scene in Robin Hood where everyone is sad and its raining!

I am expecting that we will be in the camp that thinks being soggy is totally worth the lighter crowds and slightly cooler temps (and less risk of sunburn for my very fair skinned family), but I will keep my fingers crossed for a break in the weather big enough for the parade to walk through!

And a big sigh of relief about Peter - he's DD's favorite and it would be a bummer to miss out on him.

Thanks for the input.

There is a special "rainy day" parade that I've seen once. I actually loved seeing something different.

I wanted to chime in to say that rain will not save you from a sunburn. UV rays still get through the clouds and the water will decrease the effectiveness of sunscreens.

So nervous about HEA not going off tonight because we have dessert party ressies.

So nervous about HEA not going off tonight because we have dessert party ressies.
I am interested to hear what happens if it is raining during HEA, because we have a reservation for the Plaza Viewing DP. A few years ago (when the entire party stayed in the Tomorrowland Terrace) we were at the Dessert Party during a horrible rain/thunder storm. I heard that Tomorrowland "flooded", and several areas didn't have power that night. They delayed Wishes, and they let us wait in the dessert party longer- till Wishes finally started 45 minutes late. It was nice and dry there. I am curious if HEA is delayed, do they let the Plaza viewing guests wait it out in the dessert area until HEA finally happens, or if they will make us leave when the fireworks are scheduled to start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter