• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paper Navigators?

I think a solution would be to print just the page with the entertainment grid.
That seems to be what most people really want and miss.
The early Navigators were printed in black and white on less expensive paper.
The entertainment grid could be printed on just on page (per night).
This will probably never happen but it’s an idea🤣
Here’s a copy of a 2006 Navigator
Exactly. That works for me.

Let me save the navigator as a pdf from the app. Meet me halfway Disney!
Here is an Idea, several day before your cruise departure Disney posts a pdf of the navigator for your cruise on your account. They post all seven days with the understanding some of the information could change at any time, just like the old navigators.
You could print them your self and bring them with you. You could make any changes (with a pen) to the scheduled as necessary during your cruise.
This would at least give those of us not wanting to carry a phone or people that do not have a smart phone a choice.
This way Disney does not have to print anything.
Problem solved.

I doubt anyone loses sleep over the $ cost of paper. Or of plastics, for that matter. The issue here is environmental. One of cutting down trees and forests - you know.
Cost does give a sense of how significant things are. That's the point here - the cost ($ and environmental) in terms of paper and energy is not significant.

As a reference, one tree gives you about 8,000 sheets of copy paper.
https://www.cattlv.wnyric.org/cms/lib/NY19000422/Centricity/Domain/13/GREEN FACTS.pdf

These navigators, on the other hand, use high-quality paper with 2x-4x density. On average, that would mean no more than 3,000 sheets per tree.

So, in 2019, one Disney ship was going through almost a tree every night. That's 350 trees per ship per year - roughly. For the 300 or so cruise ships in the world, that's more than 100,000 trees per year just for these navigators. Or about 260 acres of forest. Enough to take out a national park in Arkansas in 7-8 years. Well, maybe a bit longer if recycling was at hand.
As others have mentioned, trees are a renewable resource. I don't believe the cruise industry (which I see you switched from Disney) was regularly wiping out national parks, despite printing stuff for some time.

A Xerox multi-function printer prints 50 pages per minute (though nearly not as much if full color). Our 3,000 sheets will take no less than one hour. The printer is rated at 700 watts for continuous use, so in one hour you will use 42,000 watts - roughly.
https://www.support.xerox.com/en-us/article/en/x_vlc400_en-O1332
That's actually more than I'd have guessed, but is still something like just 0.1% of the energy a ship is producing. I don't know what the cost of power at sea is, but 42kWh is not that much on land.

An average iPhone battery stores about 12 watt-hour of energy. Looking up, scrolling, and moving around the app would take no more than a single watt out of that. If.
https://9to5mac.com/2022/07/22/iphone-battery-mah-capacity-list/

So, perspective. Printing single-page navigators every night on a cruise ship takes the same amount of energy as using the app to do it on at least 42,000 iPhones. That's 10 mega-ships of iPhones at the very least.
Well, there's also the wifi - each access node is maybe running at 10W, so 240Wh per day. I guess you'd need about 175 of them to equal the copier energy. I don't know how many they have onboard, but it's probably not that many (over what they'd have anyway), though 15 per deck might not be out of line.

Still - perspective: this is an insignificant amount of energy (and paper) compared to what the ship is already generating. There may be lots of reasons to get rid of paper navigators, but environmental reasons aren't it - they are insignificant noise in that regard.

Software development is a one-time cost. Maintenance is minimal for an app - which is just an interface for the data that already exists on the servers.
Umm - no, software development (at this level) is nowhere close to a one-time cost. While I don't know Disney's software development process, an in-production critical app is not one you have a one-time cost for, and there will be ongoing maintenance. While the team will be drastically reduced from initial development, they'll almost certainly have someone(s) who actively maintain it, if for no other reason than they will need to make sure someone is familiar enough with the code base to ensure it works for future phone operating systems and can deal with critical bugs that pop up in the future. And, I'd be really surprised if they aren't continuing development and adding features, possibly even working on the next version. Plus, the app itself is only the front end - there's back end stuff that they probably are also updating, and the back-end is not independent of the app - they build stuff there so that it can be shown on the app.

As for the design of the app, it's all personal. You might find it poorly designed - others may not.
I don't know that the app as a whole is that poorly designed - there are a lot of parts to it, and it does a lot more than just display schedule info. But, it's not just personal preference. For the display of time-based information, there are objectively (as in, you could measure how well people can use it to perform tasks) better ways to display the simultaneous schedule than the app currently does. Again, there's not a reason they couldn't do something similar in the app - they've just decided not to, it seems (it would probably cost $ for development, though).

It's far from perfect (yup) and can be improved (most definitely) - but it shares that honor with every other Disney app out there.
I won't argue with that!

Cost does give a sense of how significant things are. That's the point here - the cost ($ and environmental) in terms of paper and energy is not significant.
A plastic straw or bottle costs almost nothing to produce - but an enormity to remove from the environment. So much so that they have been banned in many places around the world. And that's all there is to know about using "production cost" as a metric.

As others have mentioned, trees are a renewable resource. I don't believe the cruise industry (which I see you switched from Disney) was regularly wiping out national parks, despite printing stuff for some time.
If reforestation/replanting is the only strawman left, let's address that as well.

A new oak tree takes about 20 years to start recycling CO2 at full scale and 40 years to produce acorns. When you take one out, you remove decades of hard work. Even if you replant a seed immediately, you will have to wait 20 years or longer to get the benefits of the replacement of what you just cut down. (That's assuming 100% replanting.) Meanwhile, the air quality and wild life habitats have already taken a beating.

The success of reforestation and parks in the last few decades isn't the goodness of, say, paper mills' hearts. It's the tough environmental laws. They work - but slowly. You need to reduce the demand too. Tough US laws do it here, but a lot of the rest of the world is open season. Just google the details of the deals Bolsonaro had been cutting in the Brazilian Amazon over the last 5 years, and all that sargassum ending up on your favorite Caribbean beach.
That's actually more than I'd have guessed, but is still something like just 0.1% of the energy a ship is producing. I don't know what the cost of power at sea is, but 42kWh is not that much on land.
Overall energy use of a ship is irrelevant. Most of it is for propulsion, HVAC, and critical electrical systems. The appropriate comparison is with another discretionary device - such as a TV. If your average stateroom TV consumes 0.265 kwh per hour:
https://samsungtechwin.com/how-many-watts-does-a-samsung-tv-use/

Using that one printer for one hour = using TVs in almost 160 rooms non-stop for one hour.

Plus, the TVs last for years. These printers and their cartridges, used so heavily every day, will need replacement or servicing every few weeks. You need several of them on board all running in parallel.

Well, there's also the wifi - each access node is maybe running at 10W, so 240Wh per day. I guess you'd need about 175 of them to equal the copier energy. I don't know how many they have onboard, but it's probably not that many (over what they'd have anyway), though 15 per deck might not be out of line.

Still - perspective: this is an insignificant amount of energy (and paper) compared to what the ship is already generating. There may be lots of reasons to get rid of paper navigators, but environmental reasons aren't it - they are insignificant noise in that regard.
The routers are already installed. They handle all the TVs, telephones, comms, cameras, on-board systems, etc. The marginal power of maintaining a wireless signal for periodic app use is so tiny that it's not even worth a calculation. My wireless travel router can work off a tiny battery for days.

Umm - no, software development (at this level) is nowhere close to a one-time cost. While I don't know Disney's software development process, an in-production critical app is not one you have a one-time cost for, and there will be ongoing maintenance. While the team will be drastically reduced from initial development, they'll almost certainly have someone(s) who actively maintain it, if for no other reason than they will need to make sure someone is familiar enough with the code base to ensure it works for future phone operating systems and can deal with critical bugs that pop up in the future. And, I'd be really surprised if they aren't continuing development and adding features, possibly even working on the next version. Plus, the app itself is only the front end - there's back end stuff that they probably are also updating, and the back-end is not independent of the app - they build stuff there so that it can be shown on the app.
Let's get the development and maintenance terms right. No major new features have been introduced in the last year. It's more or less maintenance at this point. The app is providing a guest interface for the data already in use. Data such as for on-board operations, website, bookings, crew scheduling, venue scheduling, etc. All guests see is a query off a table in a database on an existing server.

And it's managed most likely by the same team that's maintaining other Disney apps. The person responsible for DCL spends a few hours a week to test new OS updates and debugs. Maybe more in some week and less in others.

I don't know that the app as a whole is that poorly designed - there are a lot of parts to it, and it does a lot more than just display schedule info. But, it's not just personal preference. For the display of time-based information, there are objectively (as in, you could measure how well people can use it to perform tasks) better ways to display the simultaneous schedule than the app currently does. Again, there's not a reason they couldn't do something similar in the app - they've just decided not to, it seems (it would probably cost $ for development, though).
Again, layouts are personal preference. I assume you don't carry printed navigators of your TV's channel list at home? (hint: rhetorical) What's objectively better is real-time schedules, filters, details of each event, etc. And all the data that comes with it,

Well when we were on the Wish I had no idea what the drink if the day was or if the spa had a deal on Which you always saw in the paper version. Didn’t even thought about it until Someone mentioned the Halloween drink costing more.

I think I missed a lot on the app.
The drink of the day is very visible on the app.

Another vote for paper Navigators. Not so much for me, although I did love them, but for my mom who has vision problems and also difficulty with technology. It makes it my burden to make sure she knows what's going on, and sometimes read her menus, etc. Not that I mind doing anything I can to help my mom, but she and I both would prefer if she could just look and read these things for herself, which she could do with her magnifying glasses and paper.

Another vote for paper Navigators. Not so much for me, although I did love them, but for my mom who has vision problems and also difficulty with technology. It makes it my burden to make sure she knows what's going on, and sometimes read her menus, etc. Not that I mind doing anything I can to help my mom, but she and I both would prefer if she could just look and read these things for herself, which she could do with her magnifying glasses and paper.
100% this!! I envision this exact scenario for my family on our upcoming cruise.

Question: are the Navigators loaded into the app one day at a time (and if so, what time is the next day's Navigator loaded?)? Or, are all the days of the voyage available to see right from the beginning (understanding things can change)?

If they are available to view the day prior, I'm thinking we could make the next day's plans a topic of dinner conversation, and I could take note of what she's interested in and then create (with a pad and pen) a personalized Navigator for her of things she might want to do the next day (activities, times, places).

Make sure this is important to you on the survey at end,of cruise…will it change, probably not bit i do tell them my problems and praise any cast that deserve it…they CLAIM they read them, not sure.

100% this!! I envision this exact scenario for my family on our upcoming cruise.

Question: are the Navigators loaded into the app one day at a time (and if so, what time is the next day's Navigator loaded?)? Or, are all the days of the voyage available to see right from the beginning (understanding things can change)?

If they are available to view the day prior, I'm thinking we could make the next day's plans a topic of dinner conversation, and I could take note of what she's interested in and then create (with a pad and pen) a personalized Navigator for her of things she might want to do the next day (activities, times, places).
You can see all days of the cruise's activities when you first log on at the port. Things can change though but not so much to where it will be completely different.

Reactions: KSL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter